SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just wanted to introduce myself and the track that my cars call home - Lincoln Valley Raceway. I want to send out a thank you to Brad K. for introducing me to this site. It's depth of content is unbelievable, and I'm thrilled to have it as a resource. Also, Brad has been adamant about posting my father's track here, so here it is:

The story behind Lincoln Valley Raceway:
What started life as a single Carrera box set in 2002 quickly grew into two sets, then three, and finally into the track you see here. While experimenting with various plans on the floor of my father's garage, it was decided that when the final track was built, it would utilize model railroading techniques for scenery and construction, providing a unique model racing environment. The entire track uses Carrera products, and to keep things simple, Carrera power supplies and controllers were used as well. Each lane measures 85 feet (+/- 6") and has its own Carrera transformer. To avoid voltage drop across the track, each lane has five 14 gauge power jumper lines.

The table construction consists of 2 x 4s for framework, ¾" plywood for the table-top, and 1 x 4 girders for support under elevated track sections. The table is also mobile, using 10 casters beneath the framework in case the table would need to be moved. Overall, the table-top measures about 10' x 16', with the Texaco Bridge and Tower Corner section cantilevered off of the main framework. Once the track's layout was established on the garage floor, the main table was built. The cantilever section was then added and the support girders were placed to secure the higher sections of track.

Our track design did not have a specific target to meet; rather, it was more of a challenge to tastefully fit as much track into our allowed space as possible. We wanted to incorporate elements of real race courses in our design, such as Laguna Seca's corkscrew, the Carousel at Road America, and Monza's Parabolica, in addition to a few straights for speed. Our result was a highly challenging course with elevation changes, banking, and a very tricky Laguna Seca-style corkscrew that leads into the Parabolica. With the track assembled and in place, the wiring was then completed, and testing began immediately. It was decided that strategic placement of fencing and trees would be necessary to keep cars on the table following the flight of a GT-40 off of the track at the Parabolica. With the track design finalized, the table was trimmed with a Masonite border and scenery construction began.

The track's scenery was entirely the result of my father's time and efforts, and money. Having built a large HO scale train layout a decade earlier, he used the same techniques on the racetrack. Grassy hillsides were formed by placing drywall mesh over wooden forms and topped with plaster. The rock cliffs are plaster casts from rubber molds, and many of the track's large boulders were pulled out of the driveway to the garage. Areas that would have grass were first painted green, and then model railroad landscaping materials were used for the vegetation. Several pounds of "grass" were used, and the track has over 200 trees, many of which were made by a fellow from nearby, in Boone, Iowa. The two larger grandstand structures, as well as the pit building, were built from scratch. The bridges and abutments are built from Masonite, while the bridge at the Corkscrew was especially challenging. To achieve the proper curvature in the wall on that bridge, plaster was used for both aesthetics and reinforcement. It was a good choice, as the entrance to the corkscrew has seen its fair share of mishaps.

My father completed the scenery in 2005 and soon thereafter worked on the skirting around the table to give it a finished appearance. It truly looks like a piece of furniture, rather than a 170 sq. ft. toy. In its current state, the track and scenery are complete, but small alterations continue periodically. The addition of spectators and scale lights for nighttime racing are the only remaining projects to complete. We race a wide range of cars, with the bulk of our collection containing both modern and historic sports cars. To date, the course record holder is a Scalextric '69 Mustang with a sub-9 second lap time. Challengers to this record are welcome.

More photos:

This photo was taken in mid-2005 before the border was painted and the trim along the base was installed.

The features of a lap at Lincoln Valley Raceway:

Pit road from the west. Dad built the grandstands on the left and the pit garages on the right from scratch. The main grandstand building remains incomplete, awaiting TV crews, spectators, and race commentators for the press box. A permanent timing bridge will also be located here, possibly over a scale yard of bricks at the Start/Finish line.

A shot of the entrance to the Corkscrew. The grandstands at the right were built from scratch.

The point of no return, and the moment of truth for many cars: the entrance to the Corkscrew! This corner sequence is the true test of a car's ability to race this track, as they often leave the ground after this first left-hand corner. Many cars have ended up against that wall.

Here, it's visible to see the degree with which the track is twisted between the sections of banking in the Corkscrew.

A photo of Dad's Viper GTS-R going through Parabolica.

The entrance to the Carousel, another section that causes accidents due to the speed the cars carry off of the banking.

The Corkscrew, Parabolica, and the Carousel: a true test of a car's ability. Some don't make it.

The hill out of the Carousel. Our current timing bridge is located at the top of the hill, but it will soon be relocated to the back of the main grandstands.

This scenic hillside provides the best views to watch racing at LVR.

The Texaco/Canon Bridge, modeled from scratch.

A Carrera Ferrari 512BB streaking through the darkness under the bridge!

The uphill climb to Tower Corner.

The towers.

A good shot of the rock cliffs against Tower Corner. In the background, the origins of my addiction to automobiles. The first car I ever rode in - going home from the hospital after I was born - was in the white Ford Model T in the background.

The exit from Tower Corner takes you back over the Texaco/Canon Bridge.

This photo shows the east infield and no-man's-land. A crash under the overpass brings racing to a standstill in order to bring out the cranes.

A Fly Panoz LMP1 leading a Slot.It Nissan R390 through the east infield into no-man's-land.

The entrance to the banking along the main straight.

The Grandstands along pit road.

The final turn.

Pit road from the east, and the Start/Finish Line. Although a mixture of different racing eras are represented, all of our slot cars are either sports cars or Grand Prix racers. Sadly, the trucks are static models, but there are some ideas afloat to bring them to life.

I hope you've all enjoyed your tour of Lincoln Valley Raceway. If you're in or passing through central Iowa and would like to bring some cars along for some friendly competition, let me know. Thanks again for all of you who have posted on this site. Although this track was completed before I discovered SlotForum, it has provided me with a wealth of information and inspiration that I am using during the planning stages of my own course - a routed three-lane 1/32 scale track modeled after Greenwood Roadway in central Iowa. Stay tuned!

John

·
Ian
99 Posts
John,
I have removed this picture as it distorted the rest of your post we don't normally allow such wide photos (for that reason).
But I think for an exception can be made this "time only" as it really does give a great overview of a great lookin' track

A full panoramic from the east showing the forest that was planted around the course.

PS I live in Lincoln and it looks nothing like this

·
David Collins
2,492 Posts
Faaaaabulous. I think we'd ALL like to drive your track! Great, just great. Thanks for putting all the pix up, and thanks Bleep, for letting us see the panorama.

David

·
Registered
1,488 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
WOW! great track! Love Carrera track, but I am reminded that I hate their guard rail! Actually I just hate the color of their guard rails! They would be great if they were a metal color instead of RED!? Works well on your track though with the saturated colors!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
B E A U T I F U L ! ! !
Well done!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for the pics, bud....love the corkscrew. Track design and scenery are excellent. I notice all the classic cars and such in the background....is it a "commercial track"? If not it's one helluva nice race room....LOL.

And welcome to slot forum!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.