SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,.. heres the plan. I wanted to have a warm up at routing another track before I commit to the Avus track.

The idea or "theme" behind this one is if a Grand prix Team from the 60's had a small out of the way factory and used the surrounding streets to test their new cars on.
So we'd need smallish English county lane ways just wide enough for two cars let alone a Grand prix car thrashing up and down the roadways.

Master 3 has had an epic input into this track and since seeing the scene from "Grand Prix" where James Garner ends up in the water at Monaco, he has pestered me to put in a seaside "Dock" so if he crashed his car he can land in the water. So a dock but I'm unsure what will be going in there.

Also this track will contain a small lane way behind the makeshift pit building ( pictured) opposite where the factory will stand. It will have paving stones and two small strips of bricks separated by grass. ( seen with the Lotus squishing up alongside the edge of the circuit) . I hope this will give it some extra distance as far as track time goes and a spring loaded lane' flipper' to guide the cars back into the pits when testing is complete.

A quick left right down a side street which will see the drop off down into the dock. If one gets things messed up.

So basically a little side project to fiddle with and take some nice photos of the cars. I guess the idea came from something I tried quite along time ago on a much smaller scale and I'll add those older photos at the end of this post.

Heres an old shot from the previous attempt from about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Looks like a great space for a lot of fun both with scenery and driving. Cracking action shot from the original scene! Per

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
Great theme. Please keep us posted on your progress.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
>>>>>>>>>>Sets options to "Immediate Notification"

And kicks back, waiting for the Masterclass on track building to begin........

·
Targa Freak
936 Posts
Hi everybody,

did you hear the news? Someone wanted a warmup with something others dream of before doing the "real" track! They are really freaks here!

Btw: I love those kinds of warmup! Great theme! I will follow closely!

Regards Jens

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Ok routing is finished. Went away from the flipper idea. I decided it would have been a large divot in the layout given everything else would be so neat.
The Photo above has a car situated making its way across a bridge. As you can see the racing line is pretty straight forward. This is beside the dock on the left of photo and the factory on the right.
I may add some more lanes in from inside the factory. Master 9's idea to have a car drive out through the factory garage doorway and make its way around to the waiting mechanics in the pits opposite the factory.

At the bottom of the photo is the lane way which will be very narrow. You may be able to make out the pencil marks. No braiding arrived today so I have to wait. No problems really. I've still to finish a large external staircase on a house 1;1 scale so best to concentrate on that. Does give me time to paint and get ready.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Recessed the dock into the track deck today. ( perhaps its a quay.. Someone here will know. Bit fiddly, it has some lower walkways, stairs and some footpaths have been installed.

The corners of the curbing were rounded off to look as if the cars are cutting the corners.

Also the routing grooves have been sealed and primed ready for braiding. This was done after these photos were taken.

Also have you ever tried to get a 1/32 scale boat. The little one pictured is 35th scale.
I suppose I could also make a dry dock to take this larger ship.

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Great idea, good luck with the build.

Also the ideal way to add a centerpeice to your layout and try your hand at some different modelling. Try this :-

"Emma C. Berry"

Regards

Alan

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Hiya,
Looking good so far, but try Googling Dartmouth, Devon, England.
There is a little dock exactly like that, which it is possible to drive around, although one side is paved for pedestrians. You might get some idea of how it looks under the water so to speak, as it is on the tidal reaches of the river Dart.
The was some footage of the very area on live TV last weekend, as stage 7 of the Tour of Britain cycle race finished on the quayside ( www.tourofbritain.com) I'm sure you can find something on youtube.
Looking forward to your progress

Simon

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One more for this evening.
I cut the straight grooves with a power saw which gives you about a 2.5mm cut. Then you can push a slightly larger 3mm router bit through it and it will save the life of your expensive router bit. It doesn't need a guide.
If you use a power saw I still think it gives you the best racing lines.
In this layout I also wanted to create the impression that the cars were crowding the pit wall looking for a bit of extra room on the flying lap.

·
Targa Freak
936 Posts
Hi uksqueezea, great dock, great theme, great idea but please, please dont use that playmobil-like-maxi-sailor, I think some 1:35 rowing boats and an old drifting oildrum would be totally ok!
Regards Jens

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,721 Posts
Impressive work

looking forward to progress on the build.

cheers
David

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Almost finished the braiding. Ran out but I have more on the way.. Primed the "Jacuzzi" as the wife calls it. Time for more photos..

Also very happy with the braid placement in regards width. Went for the same gauge as Scalextric track and its just tinned copper.

1 - 20 of 265 Posts