Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an Audi guy I'm sort of embarrassed to even ask this. I'm working on a project, an NSR Audi R8 GT white body kit which I would like to livery as an homage to the Hurley Haywood, Hans Stuck, Walter Rohrl, 1988 Trans Am Champion... "The Flying Frigidaire"

I've got the graphics pretty well covered, but I'm having trouble with the colors. As you can see from the photos what we have here is essentially a white car with colored stripes or patches. That's where the issue arises. I can ID the bright orange red... the tan and dark brown are what I'm having problems with. I'd like to replicate or get as close to the actual colors as I can. Other contemporary cars are liveried in red gray and black as well as the browns and tans.

Can anyone ID these colors? The names would be a starting point... the color codes would be fabulous.

TIA,
Greenman62

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Greg

I'm not sure if it helps but I googled Audi 1988 colours which brought up this site which gives the colour range for one of their range. Could they be the colours used by the racing team?

Audi Colours

David

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE I'm not sure if it helps but I googled Audi 1988 colours which brought up this site which gives the colour range for one of their range. Could they be the colours used by the racing team?

Hi David... I had a look... I don't see anything that looks like what's pictured.

Thanks,
Greg

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Greg

These are the colours I've cut and pasted from that website. I wondered if the stone grey mettalic, alpine white and the satin black mettalic were the colurs in your Audi.

Tornado Red / Alpine White / Clearcoat Black / Zermatt Silver Metallic / Stone Grey Metallic / Sapphire Metallic / Almond Beige Metallic / Maraschino Red Metallic / Pearl White Metallic / Nautical Blue Metallic / Satin Black Metallic

David

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RdidDqhKHWk/T6we...00/CIMG0006.JPG

Very nice Fabrizio!

Dave thanks for the help... The only color that looks close is the Tornado Red... The white is too cream colored to be the "refrigerator white" I see on the car, Beige is a metallic so I'm pretty sure it's not right. Furthermore I don't see any analog of the brown.

356 Speedster... Thanks for the codes but my paint expert says there's no way to translate RAL or ICI codes to PPG colors.

I'm beginning to think that the livery colors were not colors they painted their street cars. Rather it's probably a set of colors devised by the various racing teams... hence the differences.

Thank you all for your diligence... please keep looking... I know I will.

Greg

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE Thank you all for your diligence... please keep looking... I know I will.

3 days of nosing around on the internet to no avail... In desperation I went down to my local automotive paint store and went through their swatch book. I have a pretty good eye for color so here's what I came up with after 10 minutes sitting in the sun comparing a photo to a paint chip

PPG 91096 white
PPG 24839 dark brown
PPG 24034 tan
PPG 61081 red orange or vermilion

10 minutes sitting in the sun comparing a photo to a paint chip

Greenman62

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
QUOTE Click on the RAAL color, then on the second page click on the "search simular colors" button to show a list if model paints close to the RAL color.

BT... DT... Not much help as the listed colors weren't close to what the car was painted. The red (they show vermilion) wasn't bright enough. The "tan" specified was a gray; close... but no cigar. The "dark brown" when clicked called for "black". While I recognize that lighting used in photography and the printing process can skew the colors seen in the picture, other photos of the car under different lighting situations prove colors in the magazine are fairly accurate. The colors you sent might be what Audi specified... What actually was painted on this particular and other cars of the era differ.

Again Thanks for helping me get headed in the right direction

Greg

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
Beautiful Audi Fabrizio, keep looking Greenman sorry I cant help with colors. But i have personally found that people will look at colors and see different things.

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE Beautiful Audi Fabrizio, keep looking Greenman sorry I cant help with colors. But i have personally found that people will look at colors and see different things.

Like a tea pot?

Greenman62

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After playing around with colors for several weeks I decided to lay out the livery for my NSR R8 GT3 to get an idea of what the new car will look like. Surprise... the modern car is more sculptural and aerodynamic than the late 80s "Flying Frigidaire" Some how the straight lines and color panels just didn't look "right" on the modern car. On a whim I tried a more swooping approach to the color areas... instant success!
Here is the Photoshopped new livery with some minor changes to the numbers. The colors are just for reference and are not correct.

Below is the inspiration

I tried this posting on another forum to elicit some response. It went over like a "fart in an air lock". I only had one response.

What do you think? Opinions welcomed

Greenman62

·
David J
3,182 Posts
I think it looks bloody brilliant.
It's going to take some skill to mask and paint but if you pull it off it will be fantastic.
Good luck, now get on with it, I want to see it finished..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts