I grew up watching 64 mustangs in appendix j and then group N/Nb, they were the best car in my favourite category so I had to get one. This livery pleases me the most, so the Australian connection is simply a bonus.
I read complaints about motors hopping loose, and whilst this indeed is the case with this car, some glue, tyre trueing and maybe some weight should make it a very decent runner.
Armco gradually going in on the banking. I always wanted a sketchy slim Armco barrier around here but wasn’t sure how to make it happen. The inspiration here is 60’s Fuji speedway and 60’s NASCAR. The high impact areas are backed in the same fashion as the barriers in front of the pit garage. I still need to airbrush the Armco to settle the colour down, which I’ll do in the next day or two.
As you’ll see I’ve airbrushed the outer edge of the track to be more specifically blue with some mildly grey clouds over the original generic splotchy blue & white. I live in Melbourne so grey clouds and rain on one side of the track and bright sunlight on the other would be quite appropriate.
out with the old…
original fence posts where glued to the outer edge so once they were removed holes drilled appropriately 9mm deep with 12cm spacing
…and in with the new. 27 lengths of Armco made, all with a gentle curve. I may be in trouble for stealing the clothes oegs
the structure is again styrene. Here you can see the reinforcement to maximise the lifespan of the fence. The fence posts are press fit so there should be some shock absorption soon impact.
Break out the airbrush and have a play. I’m very happy with the outcome.
Again with the pegs. In my sleep depraved state I inadvertently glued all the Armco lengths not only to themselves but to the posts as well. My plan was to glue the Armco together in three seperate spans, remove them and airbrush before glueing to the posts. Oh well, now I make it difficult for myself.
here it is ready for paint. I need to order yet more styrene to bring the Armco around from this corner to past the second banking. I may aLao add a sponsor hoarding here to add depth.
I’m getting better on the airbrush 6 months into owning a non garbage one, I have a lot to learn!
I’ve run out of styrene again for barrier supports so an order from Hearns Hobbies should arrive within the week. I normally use Metro Hobbies but I seem to have already purchased their entire stock of my selected sizes. So for now an update pic or two
This is as far as the Armco goes on the banking. It will go until the exit of the next banked corner and that should be about enough for the Armco.
Oh right, I also put a floor in the garage, that way the building is more stable for raising and lowering doors and I can glue bits to the floor exactly where I want them and not have a mess when the track cops a good bump.
More Armco now complete. I don’t intend to do more Armco at this time. I have cracked out the airbrush to get that darker sky blue going on in the background. I’ll do the whole outside edge of the track in time, however as wooden barriers are glued to the edges I may mask the barriers or remove them and refit after paint. Neitheroption is ideal. Anyway, photos.
the point of this image is the background. The Armco and blue background finish off the image nicely
1/24 Hakasuka up on the banking showing off all that Armco.
Finally a rude man in the crowd. Old mate’s hand was broken off so I replaced it with freedom
My figure painting is improving, just keep on practicing!
A forum community dedicated to slot car owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about collections, racing, displays, models, track layouts, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!