Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me some guidance on the correct shade for the Surtees Lola-Aston Martin LeMans T70 III GT? It seems to be a very dark blue-green in my photos, but each photo looks slightly different- like the BRM colour it's maddeningly susceptible to varying light.

I'm scheming something to do with my spare Fly Shell and a donor front end. I always thought the first GT was a much prettier car then the IIIB.

Any thoughts gratefully recieved fellows.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Yes, that colour howmet! I've looked at Dave Friedman's Lola book and can see exactly what you mean - it's a mixed up muddled up shook up sort of Lola green isn't it!

Doug Nye described the BRSCC 1967 Racing Car Show mk. III GT (without the bonnet cut out) as "dark green with white stripe edged in silver". Probably doesn't help much though - let's just say British Racing Green

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahead of the game, as usual Phil!
Which dark blue is that, then, and what shell did you use? Looks lovely.
In some pictures it looks as if there's a red trim line around the white arrow. What do you reckon?

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Can't be of much help with specific colours, but I believe the confusion stems from the fact that the Surtees cars were painted with a very unique colour - a deep, deep blue that had a tinge of green in it. The green wasn't prominent enough to be caught by the eye in most circumstances but under certain lighting conditions a camera would pick it up and exaggerate it so the car actually looked green. I believe the white stripe was edged in a very fine silver line, which may look red in some photos because of reflected light. I doubt that the narrowness of the silver striping can be reproduced in 1:32 by normal home painting techniques - probably best to omit it.

These are my recollections - which may, of course, be wrong!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Hmm, the August '67 issue of Miniature Auto gives the colours of the Surtees Nurburgring 1,000kms car as "dark green with white stripe and arrowhead nose motif outlined in red". Also around that time, Martin G. Wyatt made a Surtees Lola using the "authorised" body shell. The car was painted with a mixture of Humbrol green and black.

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
I have some more pictures of the car somewhere, will see if I can find them, don't forget that two cars ran at Le Mans they may have been different colours!

The model I made was 1/24 unknown fibreglass shell, probably taken from a vac form. I used a Dynamic K&B chassis with the super challenger motor and Dynamic Lola T70 wheels, it came 4th in that years Bordeaux concours but ran like a pig, basically the shell was far to heavy, fibreglass in 1/24 is something of a brick!! and with the super challengers legendry lack of brakes it was a real handfull to drive (coupled with my legendry lack of driving skills
)

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Did you mean the Lola P4, Howmet?

According to Motor Racing Replica News issue #25, the Team Surtees car represented by the Tamiya kit is incorrect, the car was never blue, racing in either dark green or red paint schemes with the traditional Surtees stripes, edged in red.

This is confirmed in the publication "Lola T70 - The Racing Record & Individual Chassis History" by John Starkey, which states that the car ran at the Nurburgring and at Le Mans in British Racing Green.

Kind regards

Russell

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
Just checked every colour photo I can find and it looks blue to me, maybe with the slightest hint of green, but not BRG !
I think my model was far to blue and if I were to do one again I would find a more greeny dark blue.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
There is a further reference to the Team Surtees car being dark green in the October 1967 Miniature Auto feature, Racing Fashions (having a good old read tonight thanks howmet!)

It would seem that the dark green was used right up to the BOAC (July 30) at which time the Lola was turned out in red.

Btw, I think the Mike de Udy colour scheme is quite unusual - pale green with dark green striping. Might make a nice (read safer) modelling alternative. What would that pale green be now, duck egg blue?

·
Registered
147 Posts
They changed to red when they threw out the Aston and put in a Chevy .
Big John was not happy with the problems at Le Mans ....

Richard

·
Registered
147 Posts
In the early 70,s I worked next door to Team Surtees in Edenbridge , and heard a lot of amusing stories about their fight for survival in F1 .
The only time I got to talk to him was at a vintage hill climb in Canada where he was the guest of honor .

Richard

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah? Ask him about the Chaparral 2H while you're at it! Then duck.

Thanks for all that. Still slightly unresolved in my mnd, but I lean towards the BRG out of sheer sentimentality. Back to the BRM blue/green, then?

I've hacked the nose off my Fly IIIB and replaced it with one from the Classic IIIGT, which is a touch narrower (fetch me the body filler, Igor!) and lacks the radiator vent, as in the Racing Car Show prototype. I need to take off the little intakes on the upper rear deck and nurdle the rear end a bit, but I think it's going to be good!

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Not wishing to upset you Howmet....

Tamiya made a rather nice 1/32nd scale plastic kit of the Lola T70 Mk.III, which looks to be quite accurate....

JohnP, I vividly remember watching Mike D'Udy race in Cape Town in the Springbok Series 3 Hour event in the pale green Lolas. In the 1967 race he entered a 5.9 Lola-Chevrolet T70 Mk.III, with an engine prepared by Traco in the States. He had a race long duel with Paul Hawkins in a similar car, but 15 minutes before the finish, with D'Udy leading the race, the engine threw a rod and then burst into flames.

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
339 Posts
I would go with the BRG. Here's a pic borrowed from the AMOC showing Surtees at a 1967 LeMan test day.

You could always try to contact Ean Pugh. The current owner of one of the coupes. Or maybe try e-mailing the AMOC ( [email protected] ) or Tim Cottingham ( www.AstonMartins.com - [email protected] ) Remember, the green used on Aston Martins was a little different than BRG.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
QUOTE (Russell Sheldon @ 19 May 2004, 09:05)JohnP, I vividly remember watching Mike D'Udy race in Cape Town in the Springbok Series 3 Hour event in the pale green Lolas. In the 1967 race he entered a 5.9 Lola-Chevrolet T70 Mk.III, with an engine prepared by Traco in the States. He had a race long duel with Paul Hawkins in a similar car, but 15 minutes before the finish, with D'Udy leading the race, the engine threw a rod and then burst into flames.

Ahh, those were the days Russell!

Duels were proper dog-fights back then - no mambi-pambi stuff, just check out those ray-guns on the roof of that Lola! Wonderful!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts