SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I paid a visit to London today. We first stopped off at the science museum (yawn.. at some of it).. then after an all you can eat buffet we went to Hamleys. I could not believe the price of their slot cars.. Scalextric Sport cars - £34.99
. They did have a four lane set up laid out tho. The cars were smashed to pieces! Oh an observation about Hamleys- no ninco or SCX whatsoever.

And then after that we went to Harrods. They had a small layout which you could play on. The slot cars were surprisingly normally priced.

Sam.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The two stores are interesting though aren't they?

Did you get a chance to race on the Hamley's circuit? There is always a lengthy queue at peak times, with more dads than lads in the queue funnily enough.

The boys at Hamleys are aware that most of the time it is "newbies" who are going to be racing on the circuit so the power tends to reflect that!

Amazing though that the cars were smashed up never the less so maybe Hamley's should turn the power down a further notch or two!

Moped

·
Registered
238 Posts
V true that the Hamley's prices are at the top end...........though one thing to remember for the future is they usually have some absolute bargains in the after christmas sales.

Picked up a few cars in the past (Fly/SCX) for £8-£10.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE Did you get a chance to race on the Hamley's circuit? There is always a lengthy queue at peak times, with more dads than lads in the queue funnily enough.

Yeah, I did have a quick go, but some of the kids on there were being a right pain in the ass, as they were actually knocking the cars of the track with their hands!

One of the mini's on the track was missing the rear pillar!

Muffin man- that's something to remember! Last year when I went there I picked up a small SCX set for £25 which was quite good. Only problem was I had to carry it around London for the whole day
Oh, and a week later the same set was in our local modelzone for the same price!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Isn't the Hamleys area a Scaley concession? Just like the Harrods and some of the Allders ones?

Also, everything in Hamleys is "Premium Priced" (as we call it in the industry!).

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I beleive that RRP means Recomended Retail Price which for London is always going to mean more. I watched a tourist be charged 99P for a 99 Ice Cream years back and thought that summed it up!

·
Registered
714 Posts
QUOTE Recomended Retail Price which for London is always going to mean more
Not at all.
The whole point of RRP is that it does NOT vary, wherever and whenever some one takes it into their head to charge whatever they like. It's sole purpose is to avoid that very thing. It exists specifically as a base line for fair and reasonable price comparisons.

If you pay it, you might consider you have had a fair deal.
If you pay less, you might consider you are getting a bargain.
If you pay more, you might consider you are being ripped-off.
Without it, you haven't a clue.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Meco, my point is that London is nearly always more expensive. RRP is a guideline not a price laid down by law or have I got it wrong guys? To be honest I`m not really that interested because as always you have to shop around for a good price and I for one am going to use GS or Sean for whatever I need.

I should add that I hate shopping and am certainly prepared to be put right on a subject I readily admit to knowing little about and Meco, I am always going to bow down to a superior knowledge on shopping from a female!

·
Matt Tucker
3,550 Posts
This is of topic

Inte you are progressivley minimising your use of appropriate grammar. As such I sometimes really struggle to understand the nuances of what you are saying which is resulting in me just quickly glossing over your posts. This is my loss as I know there are often pearls of wisdom in your ramblings.

i.e. Basically this is a plea for you to expand your use of grammar - if only for me!!

cheers
Matt

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
sorry been t'pub a little too much

developed a 6th sense too

I overcomplicate stuff, so i try to simplyfy it while typing and it all comes out as a humongous ramble

will try to now and do shout if ya (you) get comfused

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sadly, it is the education system that is at fault. Teachers are not allowed to curb a young person's expression by pointing out lack of cap letters, commas or paragraphs.

As the author of this book points out, how ironic that with advent of internet and text messaging, people need to be more able to handle the written word, not less.

I'm reading it at the moment and it's both funny and informative. A bit like SlotForum.

Scott

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Apart from not eating?
Oh, and in this case, not shooting either - it MUST be a good read!

Back on topic and it is my understanding that Scalextric regularly issues a dated list of recommended retail product prices that enables customers to make reasonable comparisons. I believe these are the same prices as posted on the Scalextric Web Site and they certainly don't issue a special rip-off London price list or a Hamleys special premium price list either. The law no longer permits manufacturers to enforce any retail price on whoever sells its products, but that list is very useful to the customer, enabling to him to check whether he is being overcharged. I would suggest that retailers who sell at more than the manufacturers listed price are EXTREMELY few and far between, even in London.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts