SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are so lucky to have access to a very large room. Have made a draft of a large Scalextric Digital track for 6 cars. The though is that we go anti-clockwise. SSDC with Pit-Pro etc.
What do you think of the layout? Please give me your comments and feedback for improvements.

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
no pics here either..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry. Here is the picture of the track.

The table is 12 meters x 1,6 meter, so I have zoomed out a bit, but here it is:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As you might can see, I haven't placed that many lanechanges. It will come - but first I will like some comments on the idea of two long rows of tables with a track on it. Is it too long and thin or what do you think? Could the curves be formed in a better way?

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Hi
thats better now got something to go on .
I think it looks great like all of us we end up changing the track as we go for ages
and you got to drive it to, what looks great doesnt always work to drive.
My track is 7meters long which I thought was long but when you have six drivers it works
plus I love my 9meters long pit lane which makes for agreat track so when you pit it and do a full fuel
load it about 3 laps so you have to think about when to pit and it can all be win in the pits .
great start regards ade.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Looks nice

Personally in Digital the layout of the track, if it is used for races, is not of that great an importance as you will be focused on the others cars and not setting fastest laps.

Michael

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
You are going to need wireless throttles unless you can get a shed-load of marshalls

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
a fab space you have there,might need some 30k motors for that main straight though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (staglinger @ 10 Jun 2012, 21:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi
thats better now got something to go on .
I think it looks great like all of us we end up changing the track as we go for ages
and you got to drive it to, what looks great doesnt always work to drive.
My track is 7meters long which I thought was long but when you have six drivers it works
plus I love my 9meters long pit lane which makes for agreat track so when you pit it and do a full fuel
load it about 3 laps so you have to think about when to pit and it can all be win in the pits .
great start regards ade.

Sounds like a very nice track you got. We will also go for 6 drivers at this track. Have you configured the SSDC fuel management somehow so a full fuel load will give the other drivers 3 laps time?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (Michael363672 @ 10 Jun 2012, 21:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looks nice

Personally in Digital the layout of the track, if it is used for races, is not of that great an importance as you will be focused on the others cars and not setting fastest laps.

Michael

I don't really understand your points. Are you talking about digital vs. analog? I guess a track layout always is important to some extend

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (GregK @ 10 Jun 2012, 21:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You are going to need wireless throttles unless you can get a shed-load of marshalls

If a driver de-slots, it is just "too bad" for him. He has to wait to be put on again (within a few seconds... maybe 3-5 sec?).
Two og three marshalls placed at the upper "north" side of the track, sould be able to do the job. Don't you think?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (bigbird @ 10 Jun 2012, 21:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi
a fab space you have there,might need some 30k motors for that main straight though.

Actually a good point. When is a long straight, too long? Will it be boring to "reach the top speed" with normal GT cars = 18-20.000 RPM motors?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (ss67 @ 10 Jun 2012, 21:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looks great, but with a track that long you may have problems seeing & driving your car properly when at the other end of the track unless drivers stand back from the track.

You are right, and that could be a problem for the drivers standing in the ends. We rotate so each driver drives at each position and each car, so it will be fair for everyone. But again, it might be too long a table and take some of the fun out of it. The trick could be to cut the "middle-area" of the track and make it shorter.
Anyone got comments on that?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
QUOTE I don't really understand your points. Are you talking about digital vs. analog?

Yes in analouge track layout is important but in Digital it is much more than a race to see who is the fastest

As Ade has said stopping for fuel can cost you lots of laps and if you drive carefully you can get a lot more laps for your tank of fuel than others

Some of our best races have been on our Oval with the strat you choose playing a huge part

QUOTE I guess a track layout always is important to some extend

As long as it starts at the beginning and comes back there

Our club track is an Oval and that is great fun

Have you run many Digital races yet ?

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
We've had a 13m straight before and stood in the middle, the cars were visible but not easily. We had all the technical track near the start line so it could be seen.

One lesson we learn is that there is no point putting a XLC anywhere on the straight apart from the start and finish as the speed will simply deslot the car. We also used lots of padding at the end as your cars will be doing full speed about 6 meters in and at that speed if you forget to slow down you will simply launch the cars on the corner.

Amazing space, very envious as I love long tracks, 30 second plus lap times are fantastic.

Looking forward to updates.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Great lay-out Olsen, I love It. On which side will the powerbase be ?
My home track has a long straight of 6 m. But that is too short to get the 18k cars at full speed with standard gearing. I know this because I also have raced on a track with a straight of about 10 m., where the cars were able to reach there top.
You dont need too many marshalls If you place the tricky areas on either side, and in the middle, almost like you have done.
You dont need wireless right away either, It is very easy to extend controller wires, or go a little futher and put a spare 4-car PB in the middle of your track as expansion bay, also helpful to ID cars.
If we do not have enough marshalls, we use auto track call, have you tried that ?

Keep us posted !

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Not yet come into racing digital, been occupied with possible functionality, but built a few tracks. And as by built I mean routed there has to be a lot of thought put into layout, you don't just rip out and re-... rout.

Anyhow... The magnificent Moulsanne Straight of HOLM is some 30(?) meters and 3-4(?) seconds and at that length it's marvelous. You get acceleration for half a second and half a second breaking. Between is three seconds pure enjoyment, rest and recovery...
...at the same time I got a Ninco Audi TT with a NC3 8:23, low magna and a eight less than flat oldish Scalextric Classic. Still accelerating when hitting the brakes.

So what's my point then?
A long, really long, straight is marvelous. But it has to be balanced to work well.
With high rev motors it'll just be a short straight and impossible curvy in-field. While those choosing lower rev's will get through the in-field well. Not fast enough thou and left in the dust on the straight.
BUT if choosing a common low rev motor that long straight will be about enter with momentum and leaving under expert braking.

My additional advice is to keep the corners separate, each it's own personality. One back and forth, one long sweeping, one tight double back etc.
Don't bunch them up, it'll just be a long wiggle... Insert at least a meter between. And with 12(!) meter to work with you could have a three meter straight in-between. Would love that.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE (Michael363672 @ 10 Jun 2012, 23:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes in analouge track layout is important but in Digital it is much more than a race to see who is the fastest

As Ade has said stopping for fuel can cost you lots of laps and if you drive carefully you can get a lot more laps for your tank of fuel than others

Some of our best races have been on our Oval with the strat you choose playing a huge part

As long as it starts at the beginning and comes back there

Our club track is an Oval and that is great fun

Have you run many Digital races yet ?

Have run about five race-days (from 10 AM to 17PM) so I am still new to this hobby

Have you any ideas of the factor between refuling-time-it-takes vs. fuel-burn-rate vs. track size? I am wondering if I should change the time it takes refuling and also ajust the fuelburn-rate?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts