SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Late at night I've been using the planning software to see what I can come up with. The area I have is 5' x 16' (with a small alcove on one end... 7' wide on the one end.) I *could* build a table, but I will probably just keep the layout on the carpet. I will probably never build this.. but if I did, this is what I would do.

This is the best I was able to come up with, given the limited space. Direction of travel is counter clockwise from the bottom.

Because the area is only 5' wide, R2 is the widest 180* turn that will fit. There is a long R4 sweeper on the left hand side. And a couple long straights.

Curve radii were also chosen based on what is in the starter set, and what I would have to buy. This can be done with 2x R2/30, 1x R1/30, and 1x R4/15 packs.

Digital track, undecided where the crossovers will go.

http://www.softyroyal.de/?t=7de4dbe10

Any way to upload/attach an image on this site?

·
Registered
911 Posts
I think the layout is too busy. I would look into simplifying it some with more of a modified figure eight layout. If the layout is too complex it make it really difficult to marshal the cars. You also need to have room for the pit lane.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think the layout is too busy. I would look into simplifying it some with more of a modified figure eight layout. If the layout is too complex it make it really difficult to marshal the cars. You also need to have room for the pit lane.
Too busy? The previous versions of the track didn't have the "hillclimb" section on top, but even then its still mostly just straights.

I may design a "squashed eight" but that would have tighter radii turns in general. This has a nice R4 sweeper.

Remember this is only five feet wide; it would be pretty easy to reach a car anywhere on the track.

The layout is "tiered". There is plenty of room for a pitlane.

The main "table" is 5x16'. The overhang is 2' x 3.5'. See what you can do.

·
Registered
313 Posts
the last one is best of the 3 BUT get rid of the inner boarders ,not needed if you are using 132 cars

also better to see the track as you drive

it will cut down on the blind spots

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I like the last one and I also like the first one... Maybe if simplified a bit... First thought is shortening the inner straight sections so that the hairpin finishes before the twisty loop part that goes over the straights. It would be three levels at one point so I would change it to be only two levels (would be easy to tuck the offending loop towards the left under the overpass)

You will have all those borders? That is a lot.

Edit: you have done well to come up with designs that fit in 5' width.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like the last one and I also like the first one... Maybe if simplified a bit... First thought is shortening the inner straight sections so that the hairpin finishes before the twisty loop part that goes over the straights. It would be three levels at one point so I would change it to be only two levels (would be easy to tuck the offending loop towards the left under the overpass)

You will have all those borders? That is a lot.

Edit: you have done well to come up with designs that fit in 5' width.
Thanks. Your suggestion would improve visibility. The other option, which I had first, was to move the twisty section left by one straight. It would be more in the middle, but I wanted the R2 to be a continuous 270* turn. I agree that visibility is a problem on that side.

I dont have all those borders! I dont even have all the track yet. The reason everything is borders is because there is an easy option in the program to add borders everywhere. I'm sure I would only buy the essentials.

5' is not alot to work with.

·
Registered
911 Posts
In my opinion, with Digital simpler is better since it can be really challenging for some to race on a layout and not loose focus with other cars on the track. This is the reason that you don't see many multi level digital layouts (usually only a short overpass or two). Plus, it would generally be harder to get to a deslotted car on a multi level layout.

Here is a link to a Carrera Digital 124 race set with a good layout - https://www.gokarli.de/Carrera-Digital-124-Mixn-Race-Volume-2-Set-Grundpackung-90911

If you click on the PDF section, it will give you the link to the instructions which shows the layout diagram and two expanded layouts. You can also easily alter the layout to better suit a specific space.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Won't know until you try it but the change in elevation required over the R1 to go under itself might not work so well I am thinking.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Had a play with the one with the extra twisty bit... Maybe you won't like what I did with the turn at the right hand end (it closes in to an R1/60) but might be something worth fiddling with? Visibility and accessiblity still not 100% but better maybe? I left the shoulders where your original curve was at the RH end so you could compare.

Where are you putting the power base? Because my idea won't work if the curve at the RH end is going in anti clockwise direction as you won't be able to see for braking.

http://www.softyroyal.de/?t=234810d66

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
IDK where the power base is going. I think for half of my designs I will have to remove the track from the PB and install it backwards for a counterclockwise layout.

I think your redesign assumes a clockwise. My original was ccw.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here's my new idea. Its just 50' long.

http://www.softyroyal.de/?t=d3d21f36

Its made by adding 2x 2/30 packs and 4x Std Straight packs (plus one extra 1/60) to the "Double Victory" set pieces. I'm having more fun designing layouts that use a simple compliment of pieces and getting everything to line up without needing 1/3 or 1/4 straights.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts