SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Circuit Owner
5,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a small rally track I just built. As it is so twisty (drivable but twisty) you can spend quite a large part of the lap on zero or low throttle.

This means that cars with lights flicker like mad.

I am looking to add lighting to an original C122 Mini Clubman so there's not a lot of space.

I am not bothered about brake lights so I am looking for a basic circuit with a pair of headlights and a pair of rear running lights.

I have some Goldcap capacitors (o.10F at 5.5v), some 25v radial capacitors 2.2mF, some L7806 voltage regulators (drop to 5V I think but a bit bulky), a selection of diodes, a good choice of LEDs and quite a wide range of resistors. I also have a steady soldering hand.

The only thing missing is any clue whatsoever about electronics. (Yes I know I have components but I really am clueless electronically - they are from a buying list for a chunky analogue circuit with brakes that I got off the internet but is physically too big to squeeze in the Mini).

How can I build a simple and small circuit to smooth out the power and keep the lights on in my Mini even when I am off the power for a couple of tenths of a second?

Any help much appreciated

·
David J
3,182 Posts
I may have got this totally wrong as I've not used one for yonks BUT I have a distinct recolection that some Fly models have permanent lighting kits fitted. Not sure quite how they work but the lights stay on whether the throttle is on or off (after initial charging from a short run?). Perhaps you could just use a Fly lighting rig?? (Pendleslot list them in their spares section - not cheap at £15 a set though).

No doubt there's a "home made" solution too but can't help you with that as I am a numpty.!!

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,643 Posts
I have found that the best way to do this is to put an N (GP23A) size 12V battery in the car for the lights. The batteries and holders are quite reasonably priced on Ebay so if there is space for such and a subminiature switch, that's the way to go.

Kind regards, Leo

·
Circuit Owner
5,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your feedback folks.

I would rather avoid the battery route if there is still a chance of solving it using power from the guide.

I have been messing about with a breadboard this evening and placing a voltage regulator and a Goldcap capacitor in parallel with the LED and resistor produces a result of sorts - the LED remains lit when the power is taken off BUT the led glows much dimmer than on the power. So the flicker effect is still there - it's now a varied intensity flicker not an on/off flicker - but still a flicker.

I have tried several circuit variations and have manage to blow three red LEDs and two ordinary diodes so I'm a bit stumped.

The Goldcap keeps the LED lit for a couple of minutes after power is removed!!! I just need to work out how to get it to release the power more quickly.

So I'm still looking for an electronics whizz to show me how clever he/she is!

·
Circuit Owner
5,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many thanks JCS100, just what I am looking for

I'm away at the moment - will be trying it as soon as I get back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts