SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Ever since I have got a son I have been looking forward to the day when /he/ wants to have a slot car track
Now he is turning 3, I showed him some videos and for sure he wants one.

Realistically, I am buying for the whole family, but I do want him to enjoy, even though he is a bit young. I have seen a video of a 3 year old racing, so I am optimistic about it.

Doing some research, I have narrowed it down to Carrera, simply because it is the most prevalent here in Austria. Reading about the whole digital/analog and which size is much more confusing. I really like the features of d132 - setting top speed is one of them if I am not mistaken?, which seem as if they could make it easier for a 3 year old... but of course, the price, the size, and as some reviewers on this forum say, it belongs on a table, not the floor. D143 is cheaper, smaller, can be extended with go analogue track... sounds great.

Now since daddy has a bit of experience from rc hobbies, he is not afraid of soldering and improvising
Sooo.. I am thinking of getting a D143, later upgrade it with d132 black box and upgrade cars with the d132 chips... sounds like ideal combo

Is it a sound plan or do you guys think I am pushing it?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
I tried to post a decent reply ....... but the cyber-fairies hijacked it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh... I had lots of problems writing the original post, had to remove all curly brackets, apostrophes and the like, if that is what you are refering to.

In any case... it just crossed my mind that I can probably control speed of the analogue track with a variable voltage regulator, which would solve the problem for my son, and I could still do digital upgrades later on, right?

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Yes ..... good plan.

Have a look at the Scalextric Lego cars ........ brilliant fun for little ones.

·
ParrotGod
10,514 Posts
let me get this straight: you want to get a d143 track and later on put D132 chips on 1/43 cars?
Have you looked at the dimensions of the d132 chips and the space you have inside a 1/43 car?
If you are sure that you can fit such a large chip in such a small car then go for it.
To me it looks like you are pushing it.

·
Greg Gaub
16,371 Posts
It has been done, so he has some pioneers to follow and get help from. I believe they try to get the D132 F1 chips, which are smaller and do not have light sockets. He could, of course, use the third party chips like the new DPR compatible Carson chip to fit more easily into the smaller cars. As much as I like Scalextric and think it would suit his needs just fine, there is something to be said for the availability of Carrera in its home region, plus it does have the features he wants. The shame is that he will be doubling up all his electronics purchases just to get the smaller size.

Zapp0, is the size very important. You can use old and new Carrera analog track to expand, so it is not that you will need to purchase more digital sets to expand the layout. The only reason to do that is to get more cars and lane changers and track, but you will want different types of turns and straights anyway.

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Great way to welcome newcomers and make them feel at home ......... take a bow ........... and a curtain call.

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
This is the sort of car that I mean ...............

The chassis is quite thin so I am doubtful that you would be able to digitise it but it will run on an analogue track .........

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
The quick build cars have quite a bit of space in them .... The other thing is, We have put Scalextric 1/32 cars on 1/43 Go!! Track.. the guide blade fits just fine... it is very, very tight though....

It really comes down to your table to be honest.

We race Scalextric on an old 200cmX90cm table that we extend with folding tables you can get at Lidl/Aldi and get a decent track on them. We often use a U shape.

Living in Germany, I understand that Carrera is very prevalent and as a Scalextric driver I do a lot of shopping in the UK but it is doable.

Go!! cars run just fine on Scalextric as long as you shave the guide ping a bit.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
QUOTE (GregK @ 28 Nov 2016, 11:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great way to welcome newcomers and make them feel at home ......... take a bow ........... and a curtain call.

Good Call Greg. Spot-On, Spot-On ......

Regarding the post subject, which I've not fully read through =

I have some *New Old Stock* Entry Level Analogue Carrera Evolution Tracks that come with 2 x F1 cars.

Low Detail ROBUST Scalextric Cars run Great on Carrera Evolution, as do all 1:24 / 1:32 & 1/43 Scale cars.

I'de be willing to let one go, if you still need a track ...

I'm not SlotForum+ though & Can't Be until Next Year ....

Cheers ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.