Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Here is a tough one. I found a drawing on the Golden Era of GP racing webpage of a design submitted to Mercedes Benz by the Porsche design team of a streamliner for 1937 called a T90. The only thing produced was a quarter scale wind tunnel model. Does anyone have more information other than this http://www.kolumbus.fi/leif.snellman/c.htm about the car? I have my brother chomping at the bit to carve this body that looks very similar to some modern LMP cars.

Regards Ken

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Hi Ken, that is a tough one! The Golden Era site has, from what I can find, the only info on this car. The text from the Golden Era site under the blueprint is taken from Karl Ludvigsen's book 'The Mercedes Benz Racing Cars'. There's plenty of pictures on the T80 six-wheeled record car in that book but none of the 'T90' - Porsche's GP design for 1938.

PS. It's very close to the Auto Union D type streamliner (no suprise there) that was trashed in practice at the 38' French GP, Betta & Classic do a fibre glass version of that car, throw an enclosed cockpit on it and you're almost there.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi moose,

Very interesting story you've pointed out.

I know that Ferdinand Porsche dominated the streamline design world in Germany by that time.
Probably the design wasn't used, because Porsche at that time had an argument with the Mercedes top.
He hat worked for Mercedes as on of their top designers until he left them due to a disagreement with management.
This came as an blessing for Auto Union, where his famous designs became reality.

It would be nice, if that design became reality in scale 1/32, you may always mail me if you got one to spare

Cheers,
Danny

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies Danny and Marlon. In doing more research I found the Dr. Porsche had more of a design presence at Benz and later Mercedes Benz that I realized. I can see
his influence in the Blitzen Benz but I never knew that he had such a big part in the design of the very successful SSK. Marlon you are right in saying the 38 Auto Union streamliner is a close match to the typ-90 but I think my brother will start from scratch. He retired from a styling dept and wants something to do to keep from just setting in front of the TV. He has already made one body for me and it is looking like it will make a nice casting when it gets fully done. Danny if I am going to spend the time making a mold for it I will make more than one I will put you on the list but it may take a while.

Regards
Ken

1 - 4 of 4 Posts