SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about trying to build a section that has like troughs that are filled with loose stones. Not tiny like sand or bird cage gravel, but like small 1/4" driveway gravel. Has anyone here tried such a thing? If so, thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,515 Posts
If you are using "real" stone" chips. you might want to protect the gears and motor somehow. Getting a stone chip jammed in ether the gears or motor, will do nether any good. That's why I tried rice. soft enough not to cause damage I hoped.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol. I actually live across the street from a gravel pit. There’s a pile of gravel 40 feet high right outside my house. I don’t want to use tiny stones like you would see in model railroad ballast, because I think that would get into the car and into the gears.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I've seen the winter rally tracks that are covered by snow , great to see in slow motion not sure what they use for the snow but does not seem to be a problem for the car's. Maybe some sort of guard so any small pieces of gravel doesn't jam it , but it would be great to see as long as you can get the "rock-gravel" to scale! Maybe something like the size of a sugar Cristal or sand blast aggregate you can get different grades , size, and it is not magnetic.

·
Tore
1,758 Posts
As far as I've seen, the Spanish Rally/Raid slotters use flour for snow and cocoa powder (without sugar) for dirt, or a combination of both.

For gravel and smaller stones it comes down to if you want it for the look, or the effect. For the look I would use soft coarse foliage (for scenic trees), for the effect I belive ground cork could work without having tried it.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I have a bag of sharp sand outside and I just sieve it to whatever size is required using a tea strainer, collinder and wire mesh. You will need to rinse it several times to get rid of the dust and very fine particles. Everything on my layout is stuck down with PVA glue that goes clear when it is dry. I would personally avoid anything loose as I wouldn’t want it on the lane sensors or in the cars. Good luck whatever.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts