SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hi.
Not sure if this is the right place for this, please feel free to move it if need be.

Don't know if any ones interested but i've found some lost footage on an old hardrive.
I've loaded it on to you tube.

The heats and racing starts about 3.40 mins in to the footage.

cabbyman

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thinking about it now after a good nights rest, that dates wrong.
I think it may be 2009/2010.
Sorry.

Cabbyman

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Sunday, 23rd May 2010. I know that because I was racing that day and it was my birthday and I was 21-something years old...

Coop

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't argue with that then, thanks for clearing that one up.
Did I catch you in that footage. ??

·
Ric Woods
817 Posts
There's me! Gawd I've aged...

Nice find, thanks for putting that up.

Mooster

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I haven't watched all of it but I am shown racing in the scratch-built race, black t-shirt driving the red Alfa Bimotore. An unwelcome reminder of how appalingly bad my Ortmanns were on that day.

Coop

·
Eddie Grice
2,295 Posts
QUOTE (Coopdevil @ 24 Jan 2012, 18:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sunday, 23rd May 2010. I know that because I was racing that day and it was my birthday and I was 21-something years old
Did I catch your dulcet tones just after the start of the first qualifying run?
"Biggest number so far", in fluent yam yam.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Yeah I think that was me.

To be honest previously my only real memory of the day was rapidly losing interest in the race and doing my best to turn it into an exhibition of drift racing around the doughnut.

·
John Roche
4,158 Posts
QUOTE An unwelcome reminder of how appallingly bad my Ortmanns were on that day

I had no grip either. You can hear my car wheelspinning as soon as the slightest bit of power was applied. I'd been lazy and Loctited the pinion instead of soldering it. The loctite let go during my run on the first lane due to the motor revving so hard and generating so much heat. Lesson learned.

Cheers

John

·
Kitbasher
4,250 Posts
Hmmm, great day what on earth made me run with Ortman tyres ??????????????/

Thanks for putting this up

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ey Up Guys,

Thanks for that footage, never seen before, scoop etc etc.

I had a really good meeting with my ERA, the black car seen on yellow lane in the heat shown, it was superb, the class of the field.

Quallied easily for the final, yet in warm-up took off by hitting the "step" in the doughnut, completely smashing off the body against a table leg !!.

Told by race officials to substitute my Merc 154, in order to save time, ( run by JohnR in his final ), I then ran to 4th only to be disqualified subsequently by Phil S.

Some people might question that, but me, I just take it on the chin.

Very nice to see the ERA performing against others "on film".

VBR Chris A.

ps: The second most enduring memory of the event was the incredible deposition of spent aero fuel on the track during the lunch break
which meant that the track was virtually undrivable for the early finals.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Hi cabbyman.
Thanks for linking the video, good footage of an almost forgotten Donnington Classic race.
Peter, the reason you 'chose' Ortmann's was becuase they were the specified control tyre for the meeting. In Sunday practice, the grip was quite good, but as Chris said, had completly gone by the time qualifying had started. The later runners benifited from improving grip levels, but the track never fully recovered its best, late Saturday, practice grip.
I seem to remember most guys getting some enjoyment from the day though, and the ex Woking, now Scale models track is a real belter!
Kind Regards Bill.

·
Kitbasher
4,250 Posts
Bill, I had forgotten that Orts were mandated, I just remember an excellent day other than a gripless race car.

Good company for a few beers on the saturday too.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Flange, try getting a six second lap on skinny Ortmanns with huge rolling circumference on a tall, narrow car with little track power and on a track that's outdoors and suffering from a fine covering of burnt aviation fuel!

Never again!

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Coop,
You forgot to include, at least 2mm off the deck!
I think the better laps on the day were ITRO low 8 secs...entirely appropriate for pre war models.
Oh, and I would do it again, but perhaps not outside at Donington!
Regards Bill.

·
Lee Green
1,995 Posts
QUOTE (Coopdevil @ 25 Jan 2012, 18:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Flange, try getting a six second lap on skinny Ortmanns with huge rolling circumference on a tall, narrow car with little track power and on a track that's outdoors and suffering from a fine covering of burnt aviation fuel!

Never again!

i know but what have you got so far on that track (wokings old track)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE What is this a willy-waving contest?

That quote just made me laugh a lot, I'm sat in my cab on a rank in London doing sod all work giggling away to my self and getting some strange looks from passers by.

Keep them coming

Cabbyman

·
Lee Green
1,995 Posts
QUOTE (Coopdevil @ 25 Jan 2012, 19:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What is this a willy-waving contest?

Excuse me for asking , I couldn't have a clue what my personal best time is at woking as I was only about 13 the last time I went on it !

1 - 20 of 23 Posts