Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing Al's post in the "Is no one building anything" post reminded me that I have two Strombecker Lotus 19s that I'm working on. One I will leave as is as far as the body shape goes, but the other one, I cut round rear wheel openings based on a picture from VSRN that shows Graham Hill driving a Lotus Monte Carlo. It appaers to be white but it's a black and white photo so it's hard to tell. Does anyone have anymore pictures or info on this car?

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I built Dan Gurney's Arciero car from an anonymus glassfibre shell. It took a lot of work. I never found any shell that looked even half accurate, but I didn't come across a Strombecker one, so I don't know whether that's an exception. Nothing I've seen so far came close to the correct nose shape or screen.
I collected loads of pictures- I'll see if I can post some later if no-one else is able to.
Good luck with the project, J!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Howmet,

Your Dan Gurney model is the other livery that I intend to do. Both of your cars look great. Any more photos would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

Love the 19 have several and several more in the production line.

where to start? The Stromie is the best of the production bodies and can make the car with a little work.

Next in usefulness is the Dubro vac. The Dubro has a really BAD windshield shape.

Patto makes one. The car is tiny, and it looks to me that patto's master was too small still when he back poured the resin he ended up with a body that is down to about 1/34.

The Hill car...I have not seen this particular photo before. I HAVE seen photos of similar cars that are white appearing with wire wheels and the cut out fenders. AFAIK, the standard lotus was close fendered like the above arciero car. The only wires/cut out version I am aware of was (I should look this up) UDT/Laystall. Which, correct me, morn for me and no coffee in the brain yet) was actually owned by Moss sr. Anyway, what I am sure of is these cars were in green, the palest green the team could find. In this case, ex RAF stocks of "Duck Egg" that had been and was currently being used on RAF fighters as an undercolor.

The good photos I have of the 3 car team usually have Maston Gregory driving.

Anyway, if you want more detail, I can go look it up. the 19s were well covered some years ago in a modeling magazine.

Fate

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
A few quick hits from my mag/book collection, J.
There's loads more if you want- email me and I'll photocopy stuff for you.

UDT/Laystall ran three cars in pale green for Moss, Taylor and Allison. Moss ran his with this little aeroscreen rather than the full wrap-around version. Not sure about Innes Ireland/Hill car with rear wheel cutaways and wires instead of pressed steel 'wobbly web' wheels. External scoops and intakes on the lower body panels vary from car to car. Pacesetter Homes also had a great livery- the Jerry Grant/ Bardahl car is also brilliant in deep yellow.
None of the shells I've got come close to the elegantly sculpted 'snout' nose- the radiator inlet protrouds slightly forward of the front wheel valances, not unlike the Cooper Monaco. The Patto shell went straight in the bits box, I'm afraid. Likewise the Dubro. I'd love to see some pics of the Strombecker shell. Is it just me or do they not seem to get over to this side of the pond?

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
I've been checking the 19 in my books but can't confirm the colour of the car you've asked for Jay.

An interesting fact I discovered while searching was that Jim Clark actually refused to race a 19 at Mosport Park as it was a "load of rubbish" and "dangerous". For a man who raced at Spa where the extremely fragile Lotus 18 killed his team mate and seriously injured Moss, that is saying something.

David

·
Jim Moyes
4,998 Posts
Here are some poor pics of a Strombecker 19 in my bits box.

As you can see it's the rally version

I'm fairly sure the scale is reasonable, the only proviso being that it uses a one-size-fits-all chassis which it shares with the Porsche it was sold in the set with.

For comparison purposes (and so Howmet knows whether he'll need to get the saw out if he gets one) the measurements are;

Overall length 110mm
Overall width 49mm
W/B 70mm
Height (off chassis) 20mm

Mr.M

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Thanks, Mr M! Do I detect a hint of sarcasm there....?
I already have my little 19, thanks, and I won't be rushing to build another. I still don't know what the origin of my glass shell is, but although it measures up very close to the Strombecker dimensions you give- which translate into pretty good 1/32nd- the back end detail is very different with later model cooling slats beside the large central cut-out, and an extra lower panel at the rear.
The Strombecker sure does look good though. I'd wish I'd had one to start with, although I can't see if the nose shape is accurate. Not even the Prototype Parade drawings are right. But no need for the old chainsaw, anyway.
Does anyone else in the UK have a source for Strombecker models?

·
Jim Moyes
4,998 Posts
QUOTE (howmet tx @ 31 Oct 2004, 13:28)Thanks, Mr M! Do I detect a hint of sarcasm there....?
Does anyone else in the UK have a source for Strombecker models?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sarcasm? Me? No, just acknowledging your pursuit of scale accuracy Howmet! Highly laudable in my opinion!

I've seen the little Stroms on Phil Smith's table at swapmeets from time to time, I'm sure! Maybe he has one in that "stock room" of his?

Mr.M

·
Registered
57 Posts
As an aside, does anyone know if Strombecker made a Lotus 23 ? I know somebody who pretends so and his car looks suprisingly like the upper one ....

·
Administrator
9,640 Posts
Nope, no Lotus 23 from Strombecker - the 19 and 23 are sometimes confused. I was going to say that only Revell did the 23, and in 1/24, but come to think of it, I believe Eldon did a 23 in 1/32, although not great quality... Lots of these Strombecker 19s floating around ebay cheap if you don't mind a few missing parts.... they did this one with the plastic chassis and with their brass Skuttler motor/chassis combo....

I see you have The Lotus Book Howmet - a very handsome production! I splurged on this one, but couldn't quite decide to pay the same price for the Lotus Collectibles book, although it has a fair number of slot cars in there.... a first for me!

Derek C. entered a pale green version of the Strombecker 19 at Turin - excellent looking car and very sweet running too....
Don

PS: an other interesting comment from J Clark, David. Sounds like he had a rather complex ralationship with Mr. Chapman, to say the least...

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Russkit did a very nice 1/32 Lotus 23 bodyshell which still crops up at swapmeets. I bought this one earlier this year and will build Clark's Nurburgring 1962 car one day soon.

Don - I can't imagine the motivation that a driver like Clark has to drive the fragile Lotus 18 through the daunting flat out curves of Spa knowing that a car failure would almost certainly be fatal, I suppose the ambition to be a world champion makes you take these chances but I presume the Mosport sports car race was of little consequence so it was easy for him to put things in perspective and pull out of driving the Lotus 19. He had a trust in Chapman's engineering skills didn't he and the cars from 1962 onwards weren't as fragile as in previous years.

David

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Jim Clark-Lotus 19-Laguna Seca-October 1963:

Lloyd Ruby (26) Lotus 19 & Roger Penske (6) Cooper Zerex Spl.-Laguna Seca-October 1962:

Dan Gurney (19) Lotus 19B-Ford & Bruce McLaren (2) McLaren M1A-Riverside-October 1964:

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Unfortunately,Ruskit's Lotus 23 is quite Tiny,probably closer to 1/36 scale.

The Stromie Lotus 19 is quite good in overall dimensions,but has some horrible inacuracies in shape and detail.The first most noticable thing is that the side paniers/Sills are quite a bit too short verticaly.The nose is way too tall,the rear panel is not accurate around it's edges,and the area where the rear fenders join the flat surface of the rear bodywork are not correct.And,the rear fenders are a little too flat sided.

I have one about 80% completed as regards these corrections.I should have it out in resin in a couple of months time.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
The Lotus 23 was a tiny car, the Russkit shell measures at 1/32 scale against measurements I have of the original car.

David

·
John Roche
4,155 Posts
David Yerbury does a fibreglass Lotus 11 or 23 in 1:32, they can be seen on slotcarportal.com. I was lookiing at some of his bodies at Newark today, they're quite nice.

John

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
QUOTE The Lotus 23 was a tiny car, the Russkit shell measures at 1/32 scale against measurements I have of the original car.
HHHHMMMM.My Ruskit 23 fits quite handily Inside my Stromie 19.I am pretty sure that I measured the Stromie 19 against proper dimensions,and thought it was pretty close.

I find it hard to believe the 23 was a good 6 inches Narrower than the 19.

Got some dimensions you can post????

1 - 20 of 33 Posts