SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was visiting GRAH1 yesterday, playing courier service. His phone line is down and he was not able to see the qualifying results of round 2 world proxy race @ Victor's track. Any excuse, I fired up the bike and took the printout round.
Anyway, he gave me an old Airfix body kit of their Lotus 25, a scaley rear axle and a spare scaley motor. Thanks GRAH1

I guess I will have to build a classic now! No promises guys, I don't know when or just quite how I'll do it, so don't hold your breath.

Inte came up with a suggestion of modifying Ninco F1 wishbones to suit rather than having just a plain axle showing. Also, should I go for the period wheels or use some slot it ones with fat rubber (not modern F1 size though) so it looks like a modern hillclimb car as opposed to a proper historic? I prefer fat slicks.......

Mark.

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
You must of course do what suits you. If you are asking for input on a personal level? I would lean towards period wheels in style and size wherever possible. Whichever you choose do it for enjoyment.

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
difflock! DONT YOU DARE!!! putting paint rollers on the back of a 25 indeed !!!!! we will send the lads round to twist your braids, please use scaly Vanwall rears with Ortmann28c,s, the front sus can be mocked up from modern F1 stuff. PLEASE!! mac p

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
dont worry mac I'll keep him in check I have an article for him from model cars mag showing the development of the 24/25 They used to race in pink didnt they

·
Alan Tadd
4,035 Posts
Graham...Have you still got some paint left from your Calibra......

Regards

Alan

PS will be in touch soon re chassis.

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
Graham!! of all people you know the first 25,s where painted puce with 5 yellow stars just behind the air intake each side of the nose, the spare wheel cover was a pailish grey, but the MK2 done away with the stars for some strange reason may be you could shed some light on that change? mac p

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
I find it quite incredible that your memories can be so faulty. My recollection of the 25 as raced by Jim Clarke was as a 6 wheeler. Double wheels at the rear and offset at the front with the bias to the left hand side. As to the car being other than Italian racing red! Well I'm flabberghasted.
And does no-one remember that W16 engine , and the glorious flatulant sound it produced.
Please stop filling peoples heads with arrant nonsense.
yours
Peeved of Purbright

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
I nearly understood that, for about half the thread, now I'm completely lost!!

Lotus 25 as a modernised hill climb special? Why not, as well as a freer choice of wheels and axle widths, it would certainly give you an interesting and unique car.

Sorry Mac,

Rob

Taxi is now going into hiding until Mac P calls off the hitmen........

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I knew it was a mistake to try and enter into this retro/classic/semi scratchbuilt area of slot cars!

I look forward to reading the article GRAH1 mentioned.

mac - maybe I should purchase one of your kits to atone for my sinful thoughts? Possibly a rather fetching Talbot Lago, but I couldn't swear to being able to obtain the right shade of blue for it!

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
John your right the 25 is a 24 I found a pic of the real car in an old mag sorry but I confused Difflock when I gave him the car .And mac you should know why they did away with the stars ,You can only see them at night and all GPs are run in the day light the stars were used on the later Lotus Cortina rally cars ( am I really writing this rubbish?)

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
Graham
In answer to your question. Yes you are. Just think of it as an antidote to portentiousness
Regards
Peeved of purbright

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
RUBBISH!!! you are putting out info that has been kept from the general public for too long, these are some of the lesser known facts of motor sport. mac p

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
David!

You are a sick, twisted man!!
I now have a headache!!

Not to mention I need to go out and buy lots more different tins of paint!!

Mark.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FWIW here's a couple of crappy pictures of progress to date. I've had to grind part of the inside of the upper shell away to fit the motor terminals in. Also part of the backrest hat to disappear. The motor is just glued to the undertray - the pinion axis lines up with the axle axis so everything sweet transmission-wise

The front end will be somewhat trickier to do although the axle tube will be of great assistance - I can tack stuff onto it

Then to some fat rubber - how about some Porsche 908/2 wheels painted yellow?

Mark.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts