SlotForum banner

Lotus 33 from Dave Jones Lotus 25 shell

12K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  conti_rowland 
Andi,

I'm sure you've already found a score or more pictures of the Lotus 33s from 1966 and early 1967, but I thought I'd post a couple of photos of the two Team Lotus cars at Monaco in 1967:

Lotus-33s-at-Monaco-1967.jpg

Clark drove #12 powered by a 2L Coventry Climax V8. Jim was on the 3rd row at the start of the race, and set the fastest race lap time, but his Lotus retired on lap 42 with suspension problems. Car #14 was Graham Hill's Lotus and was powered by a BRM 2.1L V8. Hlll started the race on the 4th row with Dan Gurney. With various retirements, including Bandini's terrible and fatal accident, Hill eventually finished second to Denny Hulme in the Brabham Repco BT20.

5 or 6 years ago, I modified a vintage Monogram Lotus 33 shell to replicate Hill's Monaco car by reducing the height of the side sills and extending the cowling behind the injection trumpets. Unfortunately my Lotus had a bad habit of shedding parts at an alarming rate during the proxy race series in which it was entered. Another poster on this forum can attest to its fragility (which was not intended to duplicate the original car!) My Lotus moved from race host to race host accompanied by a small bag of plastic, resin and metal parts; the number of shed parts increasing from race to race. It didn't take much time or effort to kit bash the car upon its return from series, as a fair number of the small pieces were already detached by that point.
happy.png

The shell that remains in one of my spare parts boxes probably doesn't look a whole lot different from the model at its final race (with a banged up chassis underneath it of course) Although as I remember the reporting, the wheels may have been the only items that did not fall off my Lotus during the series.

Lotus-BRM-33-Shell.jpg

Enough history and personal nostalgia from me.

Wishing you great success with your build. I am confident that your Lotus 33 will be both attractive AND sturdy.

Best regards,

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.