SlotForum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Al Schwartz
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone suggest a source for a drawing of the Cosworth Ford V-8 including the transaxle assembly? I have been doodling some ideas for a Lotus 49 and have come to the (preliminary) conclusion that a reasonable approach would be to saw off the rear of a Fitzpatrick body (thank you, David, for the idea) and build up the engine-gearbox assembly as part of the model's motor/gear set part. I expect that I shall need to distort the power train to some degree to fit the bits in but would like to have the dimensions of the prototype - block length, height over cam covers, width over same and the size, shape and axle centerline of the transaxle as a starting point.

If this avenue works, my next steps (again, preliminary) would be to attach the suspension bits, including the trailing arms to this motor/chassis component and then do the body shell, with front suspension attached, as a separate part, hinged at the rear with a simple limit stop at the front. This seems to me the easiest way to model the "clamshell" front of the car which, from the photos I have seen, has the body shell extending under the front suspension. (Yes, I am an adherent of the "tripod" school of chassis design)

Thanks for any help.

EM

·
Al Schwartz
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Russell - I can scale most of what I need from that drawing. I have a series of good photos of the engine but needed to establish a few "hard points" like distance from the front of the engine to the axle center, height of axle relative to upper and lower engine surfaces, etc.

EM

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
I've searched my books and magazines but surprisingly couldn't find a drawing of the DFV other than a nice 3D cutaway.

If it helps I measured a Tamiya 1/12 Cosworth and ZF gearbox from the Lotus 49 kit as per Russell's drawing.

Block length 50mm
Gearbox length 47mm
Engine height 41mm to top of the cam covers
Engine width 59mm at the bottom of the cam covers

If this is useful just ask if you need any other measurements taken.

David

·
Al Schwartz
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both - David's numbers match, within my measurement error, the results that I obtained by scaling the drawing so I'm comfortable that I have the basics - now all I need to do is see what will fit (and how to do 0.0625" high raised letters to spell "Ford" on the cam covers!)

EM

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
Alan: I have several " Nostagia" bodies here with Cosworth motors,I can soon copy the rear in resin if you like.

Phil

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I know this is going off topic a bit, but it's not worth sarting a new thread:

Been meaning to ask this for ages, but Russel, do you have pictures of everything? lol. Anytime someone asks for a picture, you're right in there with one instantly. Your hard drive must be packed...

Lotus

PS. After Russel's response feel free to continue the cossie talk.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Better late than never EM, I forgot I had these drawings in the "History of the Grand Prix Car" by Doug Nye - they are the general arrangement drawings from Lotus.

David

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Yes typical Colin Chapman, always looking for the smallest and lightest - they switched to the Hewland gearbox the following season.

David

·
Registered
274 Posts
I can make decals that small,to fit the valve covers, that will say " Ford" ,but they would not be "raised letters".

Iceman

·
Al Schwartz
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wonderful idea, Ice - I'm just doing some valve cover drawings so I should have the dimensions soon - so far as "raised" is concerned - I'm guessing that the lettering on the prototype is no more than 3/8" high - in 1/32 that would be just over 0.01" - If anyone wants to go to "scale war" over 10 thou, I shall relegate them to some form of scrutineers pugatory where all measuring devices are elastic!

I may even have a trade that would interest you - do you recall that Tamiya re-issue 246 that we were both bidding on a little while ago?

EM

·
Registered
274 Posts
Ecurie,

When you determine your dimensions,let me know.I prefer to work in millimetres,if that is all right.
No trade necessary Ecurie,appears to be a simple undertaking.
If you prefer,you may email me off line.

email : [email protected]

Iceman

1 - 13 of 13 Posts