SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The super successful Lotus 49 - 49B - 49C has always been a particular favourite F1 car of mine and the silly excesses of the high wings in 1968/9 make for interesting looking models.

Carrying on with my narrow frame chassis style and having learnt the lesson of too many separate components that needed soldering when building the Honda F1 chassis, I simplified this design by starting with a demented tuning fork basic frame that will position the front and rear axles, be the main part of the chassis and also form the rear wing struts. Although it was a fiddle getting the shape and lengths and angles right I knew it would save work in the long run - amazingly it went right on my first attempt, definitely more by luck than judgement!

I then soldered the axle tubes in, cut them to size and added basic cross pieces to hold the motor in position and a guide holder and bodymount plate.

The bodyshell is the Classic Lotus 49B with the "Monaco" wedge rear body cut off and a rear end of a Lotus 72 attached - I chose this as it has the same gearbox mounted oil tank as the 49B.

Lots more preparation and detailing of the shell still to be done but here are the pictures of the work so far.

David

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bill - I'm not at home at the moment so I can't check the gauge of the piano wire, would it be 20? I'm bending it with a pair of pliers.

Scott - You wait , the minute I finish this car Scalextric will announce a range of 49's!!!

Alan - I don't use a jig, I set the wheelbase from the bodyshell then measure and bend the frame to the width of the motor can then bend the axle tube supports to the height of a pair of Slot-it aluminium wheels and axles. The blind piano tuner who sells me the piano wire is a railway modeller and he said that he bangs nails in to wood in the pattern of the work he is doing and bends the wire around the nails.

John - I did think about Seppi's British GP winner as it's always been one of my favourites but this is going to be Graham Hill's car hence the higher wing as you spotted. I can't decide yet whether to shape the radiator extractor ducts for the later 68 car or leave the nose cone as it is. I don't anneal the wire by the way.

David

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John - I may recast the altered bodyshell - it isn't a direct copy of an available Classic so I don't feel like I'm ripping off Mr Fitzpatrick - and then I can carry out various modifications for the different versions of the 49.

David

·
Al Schwartz
3,396 Posts
The chassis is a lovely piece of work, David and the spliced body is looking good too. I have a '49 body on the way (how did I get bitten by this 60's bug?) and I shall, of course heed Tom Leherer's admonition:

Plagarize, plagarize, plagarize
Let no one else's work evade your eyes
Don't shade your eyes.
Plagarize

With the proviso that I am leaning towards the '67 version sans wing

EM

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
EM - I agree that the ultimate 49 is the 1967 car in traditional Lotus and British green driven by the greatest driver ever to draw breath, there's a recurring theme you will note - I get a mention in for Jim Clark at every available opportunity! I will be doing either the Dutch GP debut car or the British GP car very soon.

1/43 static metal model I built from the SMTS kit.

Can I use the word influenced or perhaps in the style of rather than plagarize!

John - my moulds normally survive for about 20 or so casts so it shouldn't be a problem.

David

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Great looking car JP...If a little complicated.

Graham has kindly given me the ferrari 156 shell, so I'm going to use that one to try and regain my chassis building skills

Then I must admit a leaning towards the 67 Ferrari....

David if you are going to cast some sheels of the Lotus, please put me down for one.

Regards

Alan

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (vfr750 @ 21 May 2004, 08:18)Jim Clark is also my favourite driver of all time. I was lucky enough to get his autograph at Silverstone in '67
A treasured memory indeed John. One of my greatest regrets is that I never spectated at a race with Clark. I saw whatever was televised which as you know was a bit hit and miss in those days.

I was at Brands Hatch today and saw Damon Hill driving one of Graham's Lotus 49B's which was great to see.

David

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a Lotus 49 weekend, on Saturday I went to Brands Hatch for the CSMA meeting. They had a good selection of Lotus F1 cars including Damon driving his dad's 49B. It was set up in the 1970 configuration but it was Graham's 1969 Monaco winning chassis. I got myself in position at South Bank to take my photograph - shame about the mirror getting in the way.

On Sunday I started the detailing of the 49B and made up the roll hoops, and ante roll bar out of paper clips. The water pipe, front wings, front suspension rocker arms, engine intakes, oil tank fittings and radiator are all from Plastruct sheet and tube. The rear cross arm and springs are Plastruct and paper clip.

Hopefully will start finishing and painting in a few days.

David

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
...amazing what you can do with a few paper clips - ahhh the Blue Peter generation! Any sticky backed plastic in there too David?

Lovely!

Speaking of lovely... I was looking through some of my old pics and found Pete Lovely's (how was that for a Blue Peter style link!) winged Lotus 49 at the 1969 Race of Champions:

...at least I think that's what it is! Not much of a picture (I took it with my old fixed focus Halina Super 8 cine camera) but it might make an interesting subject should you make any more 49's at a later date - just a simple red colour scheme on this occasion.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
John - I still have fond memories of Val Singleton back in the 60s!!

Did you know that Pete Lovely still owns his 49, I hope you've transferred that classic cine film to video.

I am resisting digital for my motor racing photography although I may weaken shortly and drag myself into the 21st century. I currently use a Canon EOS1 which is a good if ageing camera and with the Canon lenses gives excellent results.

David

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.