SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I wonder if anyone could help me here.
Graham Hills 1968 Lotus 56 Indy 500 car.... was it red, orange or a red with a hit of orange?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Good question.........From what I remember it was a kind of 'dayglo' red
which gave it both an orange/red appearance.........

Regards,

RossT

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats not a bad idea Bigtone & thanks Ross

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
I am certain they were red.
Probably the same red as on the Gold Leaf Lotus 49s and on the previous years STP turbine car.
If you search out genuine period photo's you will find the majority appear red not orange.
The first appearance of whats is now accepted as STP dayglo orange/red was on Jo Sifferts 1971 Can-Am Porsche 917.
The story goes that Jo did a private deal for STP sponsoship and agreed to paint the car red.
Jo was unable to get the car painted before the first race and solved the problem by covering the whole car with vinyl.
The only red colour he could get was a dayglo orange/red.
Apparently Andy Granatelli like the colour so much it became the corporate car colour from then onwards.
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahhh right that explains my confusion then. I had seen lots of pic and it appeared red but i wondered if that was the ageing of the pictures. Then i saw the orange liveries of obviously more recent pics.
Thanks ****. Maybe i need to build the time machine before i build the Lotus.... hmmmmmmmm

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
QUOTE Jo was unable to get the car painted before the first race and solved the problem by covering the whole car with vinyl.

A man ahead of this time! That's all the rage these days...

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
QUOTE The car was dayglo red.
Sorry Niels I have to disagree.
The restored car as shown on that clip is the wrong colour.
I did see the real car back then and it was not that colour.
I'm not even sure dayglo paint even existed in '68.

Allan's idea that it was the same red as the STP sticker background doesn't hold up either as the stickers are certainly a darker red than the bodywork.

Cheers.

·
David H
3,993 Posts
Definitely looks closer to bright red than dayglo red. A white nose band and an extra fuel filler cap were used for the race.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Vehicle Wheel Tire Car Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Blimey Dopamine, what great pics. I have not seen these on Google at all and believe me i have looked and looked and looked.
I think i will go for a nice bright red.
Oh and thanks i had not realized about the nose being white in the race either.
That's all brilliant information thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
A nice bright red on a white primer undercoat should do the trick. Great pictures Dopamine, where are they from? I couldn't 'google' pics of that quality either.

·
Registered
251 Posts

I wrote that the colour was dayglo red.

The colour on the clip is much too orange, but I still believe the original cars were painted day-glo red :)

These colours were invented in the 30's and used by american military in WWII and have since been used for many purposes.

Determing the correct colour hue has always created a lot of discussion amongst modellers, so my advice is : do what you FEEL is best and close your ears to eventual critics afterwards

Niels

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (Neckcheese @ 16 Nov 2012, 13:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Determing the correct colour hue has always created a lot of discussion amongst modellers, so my advice is : do what you FEEL is best and close your ears to eventual critics afterwards

Niels

I think that's sound advice.
I just hope my OCD side buys into it

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,375 Posts
I read these posts about colours of cars and lengthy discussions and tend to smile to myself. Very few people can actually comment on the colours with real knowledge. Any published picture can vary so much. The original photo can vary depending on the brand film used, the processing and printing was often " tweaked" by the photographer to what he though was correct. Then the pic was re photographed and separations made for printing again often with adjustments being made. Then the printer would set the ink levels to what he thought looked correct, not always for that pic but for the whole page being printed. Many of the graphics guys and printers would never have seen the original car.
All these " corrections" can change the colours from one colour to another. A great example is the Surtees Lola T70 Aston,I have printed pics ranging from dark green to dark blue!
Pick a colour that you are happy with and use that.

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Dayglo vinyl was first available in 1966 so it possible the car could have been vinyl wrapped. It would have been an easy shape to do.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts