SlotForum banner

Lotus 56B 4WD

8K views 84 replies 27 participants last post by  GDSLOT 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, I've had the Proto Slot Kit Lotus 56B in my to do list for about 10 years so thought it was time to get on with it.
Having made the Lotus 63 4WD with bevel gears I have some experience to draw on.
So I got out my treasured PSK kit and started thinking.
Then I started googling to do some research and sadly, within about 10 minutes, did what I always seem to do. Decided that I wasn't completely satisfied with the shape of the car.
It's basically OK except for the nose...
So, out came the sand paper and filler and... Off we go on another adventure!
Laptop Personal computer Computer Toy Automotive design
Cutting mat Wood Toy Flooring Hardwood
Cutting mat Green Wood Table Flooring
Cutting mat Green Wood Vehicle Aircraft
Cutting mat Wood Textile Rectangle Everyday carry
Green Wood Cutting mat Flooring Floor
Green Musical instrument Wood Boat Cutting mat

The 3 liveries of this car (Indy, Gold Leaf and World Wide racing) all seem to have the same basic shape other than the side fuel tanks and wings. So I intend to cast some once I've got it looking how I want it...

Best wishes
Andi

See less See more
#4 ·
I had a shop at Brands Hatch in the early 90s. THe Historic Super Prix was one of the big events and one year a gent walked in and asked if I had any Lotus 56 models. I explained that a 1/43 model was due for release shortly.
He handed me his business card and asked me to contact him when it became available. I looked down at the name on the card - Reine Wissel !

#7 ·
I too watched that car as a lad at Silverstone at the international trophy with Emmo driving and the Grand Prix with with Reine Wisell I think ?
Interestingly for us rivet counters the car ran in the 3 non championship British F1 races that year (Brands, Silverstone and Oulton) with slimmer "indy" style flat sides and featured the fatter rounded sides in the GP's - I think it was down to fuel tank capacity
It still looks great in Gold Leaf colours -I think I will have to modify that Betta and Classic indy 56 shell I have and build it into the non championship spec

Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Wheel Car

Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

#8 ·
You could always wait for mine Simon 😉.

I do intend to do the flat sided version too. Once I've cast the bulge sided one first, I'll cut a new master down flat.

Don't hold your breath though! These things take time...

Andi

#9 ·
Interesting thread, learning some interesting information about this one! I would like to see how you set up the 4WD system, is it run straight from the motor shaft or is it a geared system? I have a 3d file of the turbine car is this car related to that or is it a completely different?
I wish I payed more attention to the F1 when I was having fun with cars girls and partying!🤣🤣
Cheers,
John.

#10 ·
Apologies for trampling over your thread Andi but you know me and Lotus.

I saw Fittipaldi at the 1971 Race of Champions as well as the Silverstone International Trophy, I only took my Box Brownie to Brands and took this snap without the long range fuel tanks.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

I also saw the car at the British Grand Prix.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Snapped during practice with the long distance tanks.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

I snapped the car on the Wednesday evening while Lotus sorted their cars the day before practice. I have told the story before so I won't bore everyone about me standing next to the car when they fired up the gas turbine engine and then a mechanic driving the car up and down the runway in the middle of the track but it's an experience I still vividly remember 52 years later.

Using Charlie Fitzpatrick's fibreglass Lotus 56 I built a couple of these cars.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Joe Leonard's 56 Indy version that I built for the second Pendle Slot Car Convention many years ago.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

.Built for a proxy with modifications to 56B spec.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Once again my apologies to Andi.

David

#15 ·
Dave Walker was very successful in Formula 3. I am not sure that is entirely fair to say that his style didn't translate to F1. He did have problems with pushing so hard that he ran out of fuel at times but that isn't the whole story .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Walker_(racing_driver)

He wasn't the only driver in the history of Lotus to suffer because the team put most of their resources into what they considered to be the number one driver.
There was a documentary on TV recently about Ronnie Peterson where some of the team personnel explained the steps taken to make sure that he didn't upstage Mario Andretti.
Mario was a very capable driver but Ronnie was definitely his equal. Apparently, Colin Chapman wanted an American world champion because he thought it would help promote the sale of Lotus road cars in North America.

#17 ·
Dumfries was one of the others that I was thinking about. He was great in a F3 car and it was a real shame that he never got proper support at Lotus
It is also worth remembering that Dave Charlton and others got the Lotus 56 because it wasn't popular with the no1 driver. It must have been a strange car to drive with the throttle lag and lack of engine braking - great looking car though.

#18 ·
As a 13 year old whipper snapper in 1968, I got to watch Joe Leonard drive a Lotus 56 at the Indianapolis Raceway Park. Our vantage point was the roof of the restroom in the esses.
Cars would close up behind the turbine at the end of the long straight, only to have to back off from the heat of the turbine exhaust in the twisty bits.
How I wish I could have gotten my hands on photos taken that day by my friend’s father, the enabler of my trip.

#20 ·
I picked this up again a few weeks ago and made final modifications including the grille at the rear.

Green Cutting mat Wood Machine Metal

Tool Hood Bumper Wood Automotive design

I then prepared it for casting.

Automotive design Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Feather

And cast it.

Wood Toy Rectangle Plastic Event

There are a few issues with bubbles. It's the largest body I've tried to cast and I can see it won't be easy...

Plastic Toy Rectangle Gas Wood

Cheers,
Andi

#24 ·
I've not managed to get good results by doing partial pours...
How long do I need to wait before adding the next? As soon as possible or wait until its fully gone off?
Help much appreciated...
Andi

#26 ·
Here's my two penneth for what it's worth.

I usually do three or four pours depending on the size of the casting and the final weight I want. I weigh out small mixing pots with the two resin components so that there isn’t any delay when pouring these batches. I pour the first mix in and work it into all the detail with the mixing stick. I then slush it round until it starts to be gloopy. I then quickly mix second batch and add it a bit at a time until it’s all in. Same again with third or fourth if needed.

Seems to work OK for me.

#27 ·
As has been said
Let it go to sticky gel ie so it stays in the details then add next slosh
For castings that come out with holes etc
Then use the same gel state resin and add a blob to the hole / defect with a cocktail stick
When hard you can sand it back to required profile - note sometimes the “blob” may break off, no panic as you can super glue it back on and carry on with sanding - resin and superglue is stronger that just resin 👍