SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing a version of this car on tv i really liked it and wanted to do a similar build, I took a standard Lotus C-126 and after abit of milliput, sanding, plasticard, swearing and glueing and grafting on a mclaren m23 donor cockpit to try and create a more realistic look

scalextric car build by matra2011, on Flickr

I ended up with this.
Ive tried to recreate Ronnie Petterson's car from the 74 spanish g.p,I think the car only ran in a few races neither Ronnie or Jackie Ickx liked the cars handling and sooner rather than later it was consigned to history finnishing 4th in germany its best result, And with Ronnie going back to the 72 which he prefered for the rest of the season. It has been built to race against my other 70's conversions. Its not 100% accurate but im fairly happy with the results.

Lotus 76 scalextric repaint by matra2011, on Flickr

Sorry about the low quality pictures i think my camera is on the blink !! (Blaming my tools!!)

lotus scalextric car 76 by matra2011, on Flickr

Has anyone else done a versions of this Lotus i would love to see them !!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Great job Spook! I once had a neighbor who used to be a mechanic for Lotus F1 and he worked on this particular car of Ronnie Peterson.

·
re member
4,142 Posts
That is a nice build....swearing (to myself) is a vital part of building in my opinion because building cars is a challenge to ones current ability.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Beautifully done, Spook. You said you'd like to see others. It wasn't often modelled, but Polistil did a 76 in its Policar Evolution series, A96. I have one but it languishes in a cardboard carton with a few others from the same series. Too large and not as elegant as yours. It has the initial biplane rear wing, which I believe was soon discarded for racing. Mine hasn't qualified for a photo shoot yet, but maybe I'll include it the next time I take out the camera.
Rob J

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great job Spook! I once had a neighbor who used to be a mechanic for Lotus F1 and he worked on this particular car of Ronnie Peterson.

What a lucky guy to be able to get up close to these cars is great,but to work on them aswell must of been brilliant, bet he had Lots of interesting stories also, I'm really into anything lotus at the moment particularly the JPS livery cars about to start another 1 soon.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Great job!

Based in Gloucester you are only a hop skip and a jump from from The Heart of England Retro F1 Championship events.

Why don't you enter the 76 in the final round at Great Barr on Sunday 30th September 2012?

See threads in my signature below.

It would be great to see you!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (Ian H @ 14 Aug 2012, 17:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great job!

Based in Gloucester you are only a hop skip and a jump from from The Heart of England Retro F1 Championship events.

Why don't you enter the 76 in the final round at Great Barr on Sunday 30th September 2012?

See threads in my signature below.

It would be great to see you!

I would love to go but unfortunaltley I work most weekends so won't be able to attend maybe another time good luck with the meet.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Here's the Polistil Lotus 76, which seems to be the only proprietary 1/32 slot version of the 76. Not as elegant as Spook's.
This one has a Scalextric contrate, rear axle and wheels, presumably fitted to use better tyres than the Polistils.
The motor is about the same size as a Johnson 111 but it's can-end drive, is slightly shorter, and has a differently shaped endbell.
Rob J

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (andre acker @ 16 Aug 2012, 21:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Spook,

Very nice indeed !

As for the decals, did you make them ?

Best regards !

André Acker.

Thanks, The decals were from patto one of his new sets I mainly use his decals they are always really good.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (Rob J @ 17 Aug 2012, 02:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Here's the Polistil Lotus 76, which seems to be the only proprietary 1/32 slot version of the 76. Not as elegant as Spook's.
This one has a Scalextric contrate, rear axle and wheels, presumably fitted to use better tyres than the Polistils.
The motor is about the same size as a Johnson 111 but it's can-end drive, is slightly shorter, and has a differently shaped endbell.
Rob J

Thanks for the post I was not aware of the polistil version of this car not bad might try and find 1 for my collection of lotuses, I have a few polistil cars I'm working on currently including a Matra and a tyrrell this would go nicely with them. when trying to do my build I wanted to do the bi=wing version but after a few failed attempts I went for the single rear wing as I just couldn't get the right look at the back of the car. Luke

·
Registered
227 Posts
Dunno about the Bi wing Luke. But Your Version looks pretty sharp to me mate. Excellent Job.
I had the polistil version when I was a kid, but dont think I thought too much of it, tended to fall off the big banked curves I had then.
In fact everything fell off the big banked curves except the Shadows that came in the original set.

I wish I still had it. The Lotus that is, not the big banked curves, I still have that set - somewhere.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts