SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favourite of the Gérard Ducarouge design Lotus F1 cars of 1980s is the 1984 Lotus 95T and I decided to try to modify a Scalextric 98T into one.

Target is this ("upper" vehicle in this pic): https://i.redd.it/9vfm1tayqy7y.jpg

Starting point was a Scalextric Lotus 98T shell, figure and undertray purchased a few years ago on ebay.

Main differences are shorter sidepods, with radiators venting to the top, not to the side, a different rear wing with additional front and side mini-wings (forget what these are correctly called, they were banned the following season but re-appeared in the mid 1990s) and the front wing is tapered.

I designed the rear wing, sidepods, new undertray, guide holder, replacement front suspension arms and steering wheel/wing mirrors in FreeCAD and 3D printed them on an Anet A8 in PLA.

L95T_sidepod_FC.jpg

L95T_wing_FC.jpg

I plan to glue it together with epoxy resin and I've purchased some milliput to fill in the gaps - never used it before, so any tips appreciated. Also wondering how best to smooth the surfaces of the 3D printed parts prior to painting. Was wondering if one could apply a thin layer of milliput or whether some powder based filler might be better for this job?

L95T_1.jpg

Starting point

L95T_2.jpg

Sidepods removed

L95T_3.jpg

All the various bits

L95T_4.jpg

3D printed parts

L95T_5.jpg

Offered up for trial (dry) assembly

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
In my experience the original, khaki coloured Milliput is the best and easiest to use, don't be tempted by the white, black or other versions, they all have slight problems compared to the original. Once you've applied it to the model smooth it out with a wet spatula, it can be worked like that for quite a while before it starts to go off.

Best of luck with that project, it looks very interesting.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kit - the milliput I was sold is called "Milliput standard". One stick appears to be blue and the other a sort of mustard colour?

ThaiRacer - I don't currently have ABS material. My printer can print it, but there are some concerns about the required extruder temperature and the current that is caused to be drawn through the 'board to achieve it. Also I believe ABS gives off fumes when you print it, which I'd like to avoid if possible.

David - great photos. I was too young in those days but recall reading about the 80s cars in a book in the school library in the early 90s. Also purchased a few "Duke Videos" including Monaco 84 where Mansell briefly lead in the rain in this car.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Yes, the Standard stuff is the one to go for, by far the best.
thumbsup.gif

Later on you may find one of the sticks develops a darker 'skin' on it, so cut that off before you mix it as it tends to wreck the curing process. You end up with less of the product of course, but that's life.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts