SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm after a little advice - its been a few decades since I've attempted anything like this. It's the usual story of getting the kids a Scalextric set and then slowly but surely finding yourself way more involved than is considered sensible...

I found an old Scalextric Lotus 98T in a charity shop, it was a non-runner but the body was in reasonable shape. I found that the motor brackets had broken when I took it apart and the motor was fixed to the body not the chassis which I hadn't come across before. Anyway I cut away the old broken brackets, got a new motor mount from Pendles and attached that to the chassis plate instead. Lotus_body_inner.jpg Lotus_chassis_1.jpg

Now I'm thinking about some additional mods: new wheels, adding some detailing to the sidepod radiators and a new driver. Maybe I'm asking for trouble but I was also thinking of trying to add those weird prototype bargeboards they had behind the front suspension on the car and if I'm going that far should I just repaint and get some fresh JPS decals? Any thoughts? I'm not sure anyone does a decent set of JPS decals for a 98? The fact the body was OK makes me wonder if a repaint is more trouble than its worth Lotus_body1.jpg Lotus_chassis_2.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
Hi Tache,

Yep, Kevin does a nice range of decals. Might also be worth looking at Pattos as he does a massive range of decals. He is based in Australia and so p&p is more expensive.

I like what you are doing to this car and as you are making changes to the bodywork, I think it is worth going the whole way and fitting the extra aero boards.
thumbsup2.gif

Also, if you have the non turbo flash version you could go for a full length driver. (The capacitors for the turbo flash are located under the driver.)

Good luck and remember to show us your results!!
thumbsup.gif

Cheers,

Philip

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
radiator cutaway.jpg lotus_98t___ayrton_senna_by_nancorocks-d9pp89r.jpg

Many thanks for responding!

Just checked out Kevinoz' decals and they look great - thanks for the tip DNQ.
Philip, It's the non turbo flash version so maybe I could fit a new driver with a bit of extra cutting. I've decided to definitely cut the sidepods and do something with the radiators, details like that can really make a big difference, started earlier as I had the afternoon off, just hoping to find something to fit in place (possibly from a truck kit??) any ideas from you more experienced modellers would be greatly appreciated...

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well with all this extra free time on my hands, I ran out of excuses and had to get back to this little project. It's more or less complete, I ran out of paint this morning, so can't finish the correct era appropriate wheel inserts. Any way here are the pics...

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts