SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm after a little advice - its been a few decades since I've attempted anything like this. It's the usual story of getting the kids a Scalextric set and then slowly but surely finding yourself way more involved than is considered sensible...

I found an old Scalextric Lotus 98T in a charity shop, it was a non-runner but the body was in reasonable shape. I found that the motor brackets had broken when I took it apart and the motor was fixed to the body not the chassis which I hadn't come across before. Anyway I cut away the old broken brackets, got a new motor mount from Pendles and attached that to the chassis plate instead. Bumper Automotive exterior Rim Auto part Automotive design Gun accessory Auto part Metal Fashion accessory Gas

Now I'm thinking about some additional mods: new wheels, adding some detailing to the sidepod radiators and a new driver. Maybe I'm asking for trouble but I was also thinking of trying to add those weird prototype bargeboards they had behind the front suspension on the car and if I'm going that far should I just repaint and get some fresh JPS decals? Any thoughts? I'm not sure anyone does a decent set of JPS decals for a 98? The fact the body was OK makes me wonder if a repaint is more trouble than its worth Bicycle part Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Auto part Automotive exterior Auto part Metal Fashion accessory Composite material

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Hi Tache,

Yep, Kevin does a nice range of decals. Might also be worth looking at Pattos as he does a massive range of decals. He is based in Australia and so p&p is more expensive.

I like what you are doing to this car and as you are making changes to the bodywork, I think it is worth going the whole way and fitting the extra aero boards.
thumbsup2.gif

Also, if you have the non turbo flash version you could go for a full length driver. (The capacitors for the turbo flash are located under the driver.)

Good luck and remember to show us your results!!
thumbsup.gif

Cheers,

Philip

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Musical instrument accessory Font Bicycle part Metal Pattern Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Many thanks for responding!

Just checked out Kevinoz' decals and they look great - thanks for the tip DNQ.
Philip, It's the non turbo flash version so maybe I could fit a new driver with a bit of extra cutting. I've decided to definitely cut the sidepods and do something with the radiators, details like that can really make a big difference, started earlier as I had the afternoon off, just hoping to find something to fit in place (possibly from a truck kit??) any ideas from you more experienced modellers would be greatly appreciated...

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well with all this extra free time on my hands, I ran out of excuses and had to get back to this little project. It's more or less complete, I ran out of paint this morning, so can't finish the correct era appropriate wheel inserts. Any way here are the pics...

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts