SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for the comprehensive information...just what I wanted.....I also have a scratchbuilt STP car which looks like it was made by the same guy....when they arrive!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
some more info from the listing: DOH!
Scratchbuilt vintage 1/32 scale slot car. This is a vacuum formed clear body of the Lotus Elan plus 2 hard top. Nicely painted and detailed, fitted with flared arches and no signs of cracks.There is no interior. The chassis is a brass rod iso fulcrum. The motor is a rewound Mabuchi 16D. The drive looks like Taylor inline gears. Threaded 1/8 wheels are fitted front and rear and the tyres are hard.

all input very welcome as this is a whole new world to me

·
Administrator
9,909 Posts
Says so in the listing DR! Actually, it's hard to tell for sure, but from the photo it seems there is a glint as if the arm were epoxied, which would only be done with a rewound armature. Also, just by supposition, a chassis this sophisticated would automatically go with a rewound arm - we were all rewinding back in the day!

Looking at it closer, the can certainly looks like a Cox, but for the rest not too sure - hard to tell if that's a standard Mabuchi endbell, and the bearing on the back would be the type of motor that had the shaft coming out that end, not from the endbell, so the motor has been worked on.

Don

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many thanks Don for the detective work!...The thing that I love about scratchbuilt cars is the history and all those guys tuning , building and swapping parts to go faster...also the cottage industry supplying them with parts for proper racing...The whole scene fascinates me!
I will have better photos when the cars arrive, and as the first poor photo has had 144 hits then some sharper ones would be of interest and easier to identify?...ken

·
Administrator
9,909 Posts
You're very welcome Ken. I totally agree with you about the scatchbuilt cars - in fact, that has become one of the main themes of my collection, and I try to do some myself from time to time..

Be very interested to see some more detailed pictures.

What's interesting too is that this is a bit of an "outlaw" model, with the small tires, outside of the body... Was it just a home racer looking for performance, or a club that allowed these modifications? Clubs generally emphasized more scale appearance, but there were definitely some that exceeded the rules from time to time...

Don

·
Registered
179 Posts
Don The shell appears to have beeen fitted with some sort of wheel arch extensions?..I wonder if these were added to keep within rules?....I will add better pics when I have the car, and look foreward to your thoughts....thanks for your time...ken...(learning fast!)

·
Registered
179 Posts
P.S
I reckon that there is a little too much work in this car to be a "home racer"?...but I am only guessing...wait till you see the STP indy car from possibly the same guy....I will need your opinion on this as it needs finishing, it has Cox magnesium wheels and no axles or motor, but vendor suggests mabuchi 13UO??...I will need some help with this one for sure..ken
I have added a pic ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/worksmoulton/.../in/photostream

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Our alert scratchbuilt viewers will have spotted the extra poor new pics of the STP indy car?
As before I am no expert or even worthy of tea boy status...so more easy questions_
Is the STP car added
1/a kit ?
2/ scratchbuilt for home?
3/scratchbuilt for club use?
would there be a class to race indy car? and anything else which may help id and of course what parts do I need to complete?

many thanks ...cuppa ?...ken

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
QUOTE (dragracer @ 24 Oct 2011, 16:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is the STP car added
1/a kit ?
2/ scratchbuilt for home?
3/scratchbuilt for club use?
would there be a class to race indy car? and anything else which may help id and of course what parts do I need to complete?
The chassis is scratch built.
Could have been built either for club or for home use.
Indycars were raced at the Nats up to 1966, for 1967 they were F1s but Indycars were back in again by the mid 70s (see Tony Condon's book) - I think there were lots of clubs with classes for Indycars in the late 60s. I'd guess that chassis was built when the body was new - late 67 ish

To complete you'll need axles - I'm guessing 1/8 threaded but check the wheels are threaded and axle bearing size.
Gears - may well have used Taylormade
Motor - not sure if it's 13UO or 16D size. Try the 16D size one from the Elan - OK if it fits, if too big try a 13UO
Guide - to suit the pivot hole - what size is the pivot hole? Most likely 1/8 or 3/16
Doesn't look like it has ever run with that body. Maybe it ran with a body that was damaged and went in the bin, could even be an unfinished project that never ran.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Many thanks...I am learning from you guys and your generous input..I think the wheels are COX?.
And the shell is untrimmed and unused....note that the brass rod is specially bent to follow the unusual body shape therefore the two match and as you say it may be an unfinished project...keep it coming..ken

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On subject of period parts needed to finish the STP, I have been in the loft and found my shoe box full of NOS strombecker championship series carded parts (priced in shillings and pence).
I have some oilites, ballraces, adapters and miniature ball races, also a pair of 1/8 threaded axles etc....only a couple of cards each oh and some pinions and carded puller, all made in Japan.
These were old shop stock that i found at a car boot sale years ago !
i will post pics soon to make sure they are good for the car?..ken

1 - 16 of 16 Posts