SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

i have started working on a lotus elite / version le mans 1959 / car #41. p.lumsden + p.riley. The model is based on a -FPF-model-kit.
Before assembling i do some analysis to develop a chassis ( frontmotor ) of my one.
In the forum i can see that some of you have worked on that kit also.
Therefore some of you could give me advice which wheel size is the right one.

Remark: For frontwheel position the - PCS alu hubs - ( fine spoke wheel ) fitted with tires, size diameter 20mm are perfect;
for the rear position this choice size is a little bit -oversized-. ( the right size should be about 18.5mm )
Otherwise i have to enlarge the wheel arches on rear position which modified the proportion of the body??
i would prefer to use alu hubs for 3.32 axles with soft compound classic tires.

Can somebody give me advice how to handle ?

Thanks a lot for support in advance !

best regards

claus

·
Kitbasher
4,297 Posts
I think that you need some BWA 13" alloy wheels with spoked inserts, sadly they are no longer produced...

·
Pete Shepherd
1,694 Posts
Hi Claus,

Your work is excellent and being a big Lotus fan I can't wait for this one to be finished. When I built mine I used BWA skinny 15" wheels with ortmann rear tyres ( I can find out which ones if you want) which were very narrow and Airfix "Continentals" for the fronts.

15" aluminium wheels are available from RS slot racing but they may have too big a boss to fit under the arches but it depends what chassis you use I suppose.

The real cars ran on 15" wheels not 13".

Another option to use are Scalextric wire wheels as fitted to the front on their Sharknose Ferrari, these are available seperately, the one below which are built about 5 years ago uses these and they look very nice and have a realistic tyre profile.

Thanks,

Pete

·
Kitbasher
4,297 Posts
OOps, sorry, I thought the elite ran on 13", quite surprised they are 15"

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi gentleman,

Thanks a lot for your informations. i think it works.............

@ pete : I will try to do my best. Now, only some hours spent with the kit i got the impression that i have to do a lot of work
to receive such results as you show me in your wonderful elite examples.
By the way : the le mans version # 41 Lumsden/Riley showes a type of badge ( red/white colored) on the drivers door ?
Accidentically do you know it? ( can it be seen on both doors? )

best regards

claus

·
Pete Shepherd
1,694 Posts
QUOTE By the way : the le mans version # 41 Lumsden/Riley showes a type of badge ( red/white colored) on the drivers door ?
Accidentically do you know it? ( can it be seen on both doors? )

I've had a look and I don't recognise it, sorry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts