SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Pure science-fiction - if compared to the surrounding vehicles!

Never a big hit as a slot car, maybe cause it is so narrow? The only one I can recall is scudbong's very tasty version of this car, based on an AA-body.

https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=54718&hl=%2Blotus+%2Bix

Wood Font Automotive design Paper Paper product

I will make my own wooden shell. There is a rather good plan view and plenty of period pics available on the net.

The challenge will be to make it look as small and narrow as it actually is. And to get it to look "right".

Carver

Attachments

·
Gordon Steadman
6,888 Posts
I did one a while ago and, as ever, look forward to seeing your version.

I expect nothing short of perfection
thumbsup.gif

·
Al Schwartz
3,392 Posts
I have a very old (~60 years) 1/24 version of the 11 based on a Merit shell. As evidence of the diminutive nature of the series, SMEC 1/32 wheels and tires look just right.

EM

·
Administrator
9,789 Posts
Yep, one of my favorites, looking forward to your version.

Somebody did one recently in 1/32, but the only 1/24 version is the one carved by good buddy Gus and is now in my sweaty hands!

I did wonder too about why it was never produced, but I think the 11 was a bit more contemporary, there were more of them and maybe easier to sculpt.

Don

·
Gordon Steadman
6,888 Posts
I have missed that! Perhaps some thread discussing wine-drinking in Bordeaux...
smile.png

Carver
I'm not sure I featured it on my lash up thread. I'd quite forgotten it was 24th scale but against the two Cunninghams it surely is. The only pic I have is before it was finished. I'm still waiting to see it run
smile.png

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,789 Posts
Me too, Gordon, me too... still trying to decide what to put under it, and waiting for an appropriate race (the only thing that seems to inspire me to finish cars - While Gordon does 5 or 6, I'm still in the planning stage).

Carver, Gordon carved this as a personal favor to me, since it's always been one of my favorites!

Don

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
I built the Lotus Mk 8 and Pete Shepherd built the Mk 9 both from AA bodies shells, here they are together on the grid at a nice little retro race meeting a couple of years ago.

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

Apologies for Hi-jacking your thread carver.

David

Attachments

·
Gordon Steadman
6,888 Posts
Me too, Gordon, me too... still trying to decide what to put under it, and waiting for an appropriate race
I was thinking that a good class for Bordo one year would be a restricted size race for cars of this era, sports or saloons. Skinny tyres would make life fun, lots of sideways action.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No worries, David. A wonderful line-up of beautiful cars!

Now that I've seen what others have done I have to be on my toes.
smile.png

@Thai: You are partly responsible for this!
smile.png
Seeing your Miller-Ford thread made me realise I wanted to start a difficult project...

@Gordon: Please don't turn this into yet another Bordo-thread...
grump.gif
smile.png

Cheers, Carver

·
Administrator
9,789 Posts
We did a 50s sports car class one year - loved it myself, don't remember if it was particularly popular... we also considered allowing only open frame motors in 1/24, but that didn't happen.

Don

PS/ Oops, sorry Carver, I'll be good.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Don't be sorry! Be gay (the older meaning of the word)!
smile.png

Don't get me wrong, like most of us I welcome comments and reactions.

I might be overreacting a little, but sometimes I feel it is a little too much about that meeting in France...

Forget about it!

Meanwhile, progression is slow.

Wood Hardwood Creative arts Natural material Beige

Carver

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Trisha,

When I first started making shells I used balsa, as most people do.

After a couple of bodies, I tried lime-tree/basswood and have stuck to that ever since.

It suits my way of working better, with balsa I tend to carve away too much too easily.

The harder lime-tree makes the work slower, detail work easier and you get a better surface.

Nothing beats balsa for lightweight, but on the other hand, a lime-tree shell can be made much thinner.

This is, of course, just like what tools you prefer, personal choices. Trial and error is a good method!
smile.png

Carver

1 - 20 of 83 Posts