SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Al Schwartz
3,416 Posts
The SMEC papaer strips are very effective when glued down and painted -but, like you, I am not willing to raid my remaining kits for the louvre bit (I wish someone would put those lovely models back into production)

Somewhere in my travels I have seen a finely ridged metal roller that could probably be mounted in a handle and used to roll louvres into heavy paper stock or even thin metal, but I can't recall the source.

An alternate technique that I have used for short lengths of louvres is the following:

Cut heavy paper or thin plastic into strips of width 2 X the desired louvre spacing. Cut the resultant strips into pieces as long as the width of the louvres. Glue the pieces, shingle fashion, in place with each successive piece overlapping the previous one by 50% (The first louvre in the set should have a half depth piece flush with the forward edge. Tedious, and not for the unsteady hand, but effective. (Note: I have only done this on wooden static models or mold patterns where the bits could be glued between two strips of glue-resistant plastic pinned to the body for alignment)

EM

· Al Schwartz
3,416 Posts
QUOTE (howmet tx @ 12 Dec 2003, 06:59 PM)And I love the idea of a metal roller... I just wonder if a pinion gear might work?
Good point - and there are some long enough to make a wide strip - 1/4" in 1/32 is an 8" louvre. I'll dig around and see if I can find one and give it a try.

EM

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.