SlotForum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I did a search on my question but it didn't turn up much replies, so I thought I'd post a new topic.

I'm quite new to this hobby and this forum, so it might have been said before, but what do you guys use for lubricating your crown wheels and gears with?

I am under the impression that "normal" lubricants like oil and stuff, used for automotive purposes, are petrol-based and would harm the plastic in the little cars?

CRC has some product called 'Silicone grease' that I have been thinking about. However, this comes on a spray can, and I would find it more appropriate if this type of grease came on a standard tin can or something. I don't know really.

What do you guys use?

/BB.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hey Big Bear,
I use a soap-based bearing lube on my inlines(crown). I don't lube my sidewinders, just clean them. I found that the lube picked up too much dirt and slowed the car noticably. Bearings are lubed with LaBelle's for plastic. You are correct about petroleum on plastic (bad).

Slippin'and slidin'

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
for oiling, I use a synthetic oil which comes in a needle point dispenser. I don't know if the oil is particularly good, but at least I can dispense the right amount to the right places! I am not sure about the make of this one, but it looks pretty similar to one sold by SCX.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Pin point oiler.
Don't spray, like the other reply also answered.
It will make plastic go crazy, and make dirt stick.
If you got a pin point oiler, you can lube the car with anything you like, just dont lube to much.
If your bearings are sloppy, and you dont wanna change em, you can lube with some gel, if its a competitionsetup you have made, lube with thin oil.
I use siliconebased oil, and gel.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I use Shimano HypoSpitt lubricating oil which comes in a needle point dispenser.
For the gears I use Tamiya Molybdenum Grease on both inlines and sidewinders. I try to use it sparingly, but it still makes a mess...

André

·
1 hp Trabant is not my real car
770 Posts
How about using dry-film PTFE lubricant (the stuff you buy in a small stick like lipstick...not that I buy lipstick..
) for plastic gears ?
Anyone tried it? would minimise fluff and dust pickup by sidewinders?

Cheers, Tom.

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
I don't use oil of any sort as it flies off all over the place and pick up dirt like a sponge.

I use some synthetic pushbike grease from a cycle shop as it is plastic friendly. Just a smear every 200 laps or so...after cleaning the old stuff off. It even stays on sidewinder gears for some time.

Heavy autmotive oil-based grease is not a plastic friendly and tends to eat at some plastic gears; wearing it out at the same rate as if you didn't use lubricant at all.

·
Ewan McKen
1,448 Posts
I use motor oil, I think it was 10W40 but it may be 20W50.
It came in a plastic bottle so I figured it would not harm the little plastic cars, but maybe I was wrong.

I made my own 'pin point oiler' by straightening out a paper clip and sticking one end in an old wine bottle cork.
You use the end without the cork to apply the oil.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanx for all your tips guys!
I think I'll check my local hobby shop for the stuff that the RC-car people uses for gear greasing. Should be plastic friendly since radio controlled buggies and such are mostly plastic etc.
Like the Parma stuff described above.

Thanx

BB.

·
1 hp Trabant is not my real car
770 Posts
QUOTE I use motor oil, I think it was 10W40 but it may be 20W50.
It came in a plastic bottle so I figured it would not harm the little plastic cars, but maybe I was wrong.

The plastic of slot cars is different to the plastic of oil bottles - so I wouldn't draw any comfort from that

QUOTE I made my own 'pin point oiler' by straightening out a paper clip and sticking one end in an old wine bottle cork.
You use the end without the cork to apply the oil.

The good thing about that is that you get to drink the wine first

Cheers, Tom.

·
Ewan McKen
1,448 Posts
Tom,

Unfortunately I gave up the demon drink a few years back.
So emptying bottles for the corks does not do me any good anymore
But I still have the beer gut as a souvenir.

I am still running three cars I must have had for about twenty five years now.
I am sure I must have changed the pinions and axle bearings, but not so often I can remember when.
And apart from that and tyres and braids, I cant think of any problems.
So I dont think the motor oil has done any harm.

Does anybody who thinks oil has damaged their cars have more details or pictures?

Regards,
Ewan.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I use Tamiya Ceramic Grease for the gears and Pro Shot Racing Products Molley Blend oil for the bushings. Both came from the local R/C shop.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
This topic is a good wake-up call - thanks gentlemen!

As time passes, more and more products (and ideas and techniques) come onto the market and we can all benefit from the updates.
From some time ago, we also have a pretty good lubricants thread

HERE

The older information remains useful too.
Could I please ask bringers of new info on lubricants to also add their input to that older topic (as well as here) so that we can keep as much useful data together as possible on this subject and it can be used as a permanent reference vault for everyone.

Incidentally, with regard to the comments that 'oil flies eveywhere', that is clear confirmation that too much is being used! A tiny drop or two is all that is needed, hence the constant references to pinpoint oilers which really make a big difference to ease and accuracy of oil application.

Hypodermic syringe, a pin, a needle, a stripped down cottonbud, a tiddly twist of cloth, even a tiny torn off corner of PAPER, all work very well indeed.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I personally use a oil that comes in a little tube with a needle type thing at the top for precision oiling made by EXPO hobbies. For the gears on my 4WD cars i use a grease made by Pleby slot products i found on e-bay.

Doug

1 - 18 of 18 Posts