SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone made any slot cars inspired by the Mad Max films, if so could you post pictures, I haven't made any myself, but I'm considering it as a project.

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Hi there Julian..

As you might know, I am very much into TV and Movie related slotcar conversions.
The "Mad Max" Interceptor has been on my "to do" list for quite a while now.
Up to now, The only Ford Falcon shell suitable for conversion, has only been one available from Australia, in resin form.

Unfortunately, with so many other projects on the go, I just have not had the time to order one, to build this very iconic movie car.
Now with Scalextric bringing out a Ford Falcon sometime in 2012, it might make a conversion more straightforward, we will have to wait and see.

It is one conversion, I will be building, as soon as I can.

Good luck with your own project..

All the best.. Martin.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Martin,

I'm a bit loathe to buy a brand new Scaley Falcon just to paint it black, but I'm going to get a Starsky and Hutch Gran Torino to convert, I know it's a different shape to the XB Falcon but it's a similar size car and with a bit of balsa wood and sanding it should be possible to come up with something reasnoble.

Julian

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, Ford Gran Torino wheelbase 2895mm, Ford Falcon XB 2819mm, could be a challenge, but the idea is to make a slot car in the style of Mad Max rather than a replica of the XB Falcon GT pursuit car.

Though I might start making cars from old body shells I have knocking around.

·
Circuit Owner
5,892 Posts
Agreed!

The car was sprayed matt black and the finish softened with an automotive liquid wax polish.

If I was going for a Mad Max look then I would be inclined to paint the car a rust colour, followed by an overspray of matt black and then rub/scrape carefully to expose the rust underneath (or just blast it around the track without barriers and drop it on the floor a few times!!!).

If you are making your cars by modifying others; you have a great opportunity to distort some of the panels slightly, add a few rivets and choose subtly different finishes (matt, satin and sanded gloss) for that authentic post-apocalyptic patina!

Maybe dragging the bloodied head of a bully-boy mohican around on a length of chain would add a certain something (just don't let the chain short across your slot)

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 4 Jan 2012, 12:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hmmm, Ford Gran Torino wheelbase 2895mm, Ford Falcon XB 2819mm, could be a challenge, but the idea is to make a slot car in the style of Mad Max rather than a replica of the XB Falcon GT pursuit car.

Wow, that's closer than I thought they'd be. The Torino's got lots of overhang outside the wheelbase, the front looks particularly pointy!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good idea about the rust, I've got some old Lexan bodies knocking about, none of them are any good they've all got damage, I might cut bits of them off and glue them onto whatever base car I end up with (it has to be cheap, basically this project has to cost as little as possible)

·
Circuit Owner
5,892 Posts
Can your inkjet printer print on a flat path? If so buy 0.75mm white plasticard. Print on it and away you go. Simples. Don't do this on a laser printer cos it will but unwanted curves on the plastic (once you take the printer apart to get it off the drum!!!)

OR - print on paper and trace onto any thickness of plasticard using good old fashioned carbon paper (nick some out the back of your bank paying-in book if you can't find any).

OR - seeing as you want it cheap - (brain's in overload right now) print onto thick card or even photo paper (your printer should handle 160-200 gsm), cut out the parts, fold to shape and spray with acrylic to stiffen it.

Of course if you use photo paper then you could add your grunge effects in the printing stage, simply touch up the folds once assembled and then seal the whole lot with clear acrylic spray (making sure it works with the photo paper).

Gonna lie down now - too many ideas makes my head hurt

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd thought of plasticard, but hadn't considered photo paper - I'm going to have a few practice attempts before I try and do a good one, just to keep it cheap I'll be printing it out at work, there's a big colour plotter in the drawing office I could probably borrow if I ask Paula nicely.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Tasi Resins actually do an XA coupe, not an XB. There is someone else doing an XB. A few differences in them. Always wanted a Mad Max beast. Might get around to doing it one day.

Embs

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I know about the resin ones, but for the same cost I can buy one of the new Scaley XBs (if they ever arrive) and modify it.
My current plan is to buy one of the Scaley XBs and use it to form a paper model over so I get the right shape, but until the Scaley ones come along I'll try and make a paper one.

In the mid 80s a small group of us watched the first 2 Mad Max films so many times we started to develop Australian accents

Which, looking back, was odd behaviour for a bunch of bikers from Suffolk, I nearly bought a Z900 just because they were in the first film.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Cundaleeny wants his hand back!!, DO YA HEAR ME BRONZE!!!!

looking forward to see progress on this build

omg im old!

·
Horlicks Hero
1,940 Posts
Trots off to put the kettle on before raiding the DVD cupboard...

Hey, weren't we promised a Mad Max 4 ? I'm pretty sure I saw rumours of it as recently as three or four years ago. Mind you, with the CG special effects fests that we get these days, the real life stunt work performed in the Mad Max series would be hard pressed to wow today's audiences. Such a shame.

Here's an odd nugget for you. Back in 2005, I bought a Subaru Impreza from a guy in Ohio. I flew down there, but then had to take a three day road trip to bring it back home to Minnesota. On our way through Illinois, heading along the freeway, we passed a full on Interceptor replica going the other way...

We were the only two cars I could see either ahead or behind, on a bright sunny day in the middle of a flat, barren landscape, which made for a fairly surreal moment. I half expected him to flip the blues and twos on, do a u-ey, and chase me down the road.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
It wasn't to be so much a Mad Max 4 as a remake of the original. Such a wrong idea to my way of thinking. Part of the reason the original is so great is cos it was done on a student film type budget. Brother-in-law was involved in the filming. There were more than a few stunt bungles. Not the least of which is a motorbike rider getting his head runover by another bike. Thankfully the helmets were good.

The remake got as far as showing some of the design prototypes for Max's car at the Melbourne Motorshow. Never heard if it went any further.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts