SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Greg Gaub
16,834 Posts
I'd like for there to be an option to disable power/control during race set up and start, unless I do something that needs power, like calibration. When trying to get a race going, kids are always pulling the trigger and the cars only lose power when I initiate the start countdown itself. They can't keep from pulling the trigger while I'm gridding the cars and doing other race setup tasks, so I'm always have to yell at them (to be heard over the cacophony of kids talking loudly/yelling at each other) to keep their fingers off the trigger. Even adults have a hard time with this. RCS64 has a great option to enable/disable power while in menus, so the cars are pretty much dead unless there's an active practice or race. I'd LOVE something like that. If it's already there, I can't find it.

·
Greg Gaub
16,834 Posts
That's not always the case. For chips with standard (not ICP) firmward on them for Scalextric Digital, they do respond to analog power and can be driven on an analog track. The response won't be the same, but the cars can be driven.

Is there some situation in which you have tried to run a chipped car on an analog track and it did not go?

·
Greg Gaub
16,834 Posts
I hadn't had a need to use the app for a while, so hadn't tested the no-power options since it was added, but I have a party this Saturday, so I hope that can be fixed. I pretty much need there to never be any power other than after the green lights that start the race, or in settings that require it, such as min/safe speed calibration.

·
Greg Gaub
16,834 Posts
SSDC has a neat option that allows the user to set a short delay for when power is given to the cars after race start. This is useful for ensuring a clean start by allowing 1 and 2 to start right away, 3 and 4 to start after them by a quarter second or whatever, then have 5 and 6 get power after 3 and 4 do. The starting grid can be short and close without so much carnage at race start. I'd love to see something like that in your app. :)

·
Greg Gaub
16,834 Posts
Either after a qualifying section, or simply by Car ID. SSDC does it by car ID. Besides, this is mainly a feature for amateur racers, who aren't likely to be going through qualifying so much as running race after race after race. In my case, children at a party.

·
Greg Gaub
16,834 Posts
Is it possible to have MAGIC ignore the brake button entirely? Most of my use of ARC Pro and MAGIC is with parties, which is usually young children and stopping dead on the track is not uncommon because they are meaning to press LC but pressing brake instead. If MAGIC could filter out, ignore, or even better, react to brake button press and activate LC instead, that would be fantastic! Obviously, this would need to disable other features if enabled, since you can't do a lot of things without that button. But the last thing I'm doing at parties is running pit lane stuff or anything else very complex. It's really just a series of crash and burn, last car on the track wins racing.

·
Greg Gaub
16,834 Posts
Does your app have the capability to add car sounds for each type of slot car? I am switching over from SCX Digital and I was using PC Lapcounter and when the slot car would cross the finish line the program would make the the car roaring sound for get type of car or what every audio you place for that car.
Having a selection of unique sounds that can be assigned to each Car and/or Driver would be excellent. When you're in a race with a group and you all cross the line in quick succession, it's nice to be able to listen for your own sound to make sure your lap counted. Some people like different bell and beep sounds, and some people like different "drive by" engine noises. There's a lot out there, so even being able to select a .wav or .mp3 file from device storage would be cool. It's also quite common to have a different sound for fast lap, or even fast lap for a specific car. Since we are rarely able to take our eyes off the car as we are driving, being able to hear confirmations like that can be helpful.

I hope that you consider something like that.

·
Greg Gaub
16,834 Posts
If you have a short track, I can see that it might not be so helpful, but for longer tracks even a short delay is fine. Even with our APB and computer race management, the sound is not always instant. All the more reason for the sound to be user configurable by choosing a file. Some people might want a roaring engine for 2+ seconds, while others will want a blip that's only .25 seconds long.
smile.png

·
Greg Gaub
16,834 Posts
For SSD race management systems with pit functions that require choosing what to do (I think only RCS64 has more than one option at a time), a button is used to enter the pit MENU, and then the user must use the buttons to cycle through the options (LC) and another button to activate that option (brake). So, a sequence would be like this:

1) enter pit lane (no sensor required)

2) hold button for a couple seconds to enter pit menu (optionally just brake, or brake and LC. Never just LC because that is often held down while racing)

3) Refuel appears as first option. Press Brake to begin refueling

4) press LC to skip to next option - Install Hard tires

5) press LC to skip to next option - Install Soft tires - Press Brake to install softs

6) press LC to skip to next option - Repair damage

7) press LC to skip to next option - Exit pit lane - Press brake to exit pit lane/menu.

8) drive away.

Depending on the settings in RCS64, there are more, or less, options in the pit menu to cycle through. When all options are enabled, you would have to cycle through: refuel, hards, softs, inters, wets, repair, ABS, Throttle Curve, Exit and then back around starting with refuel. It's possible to have only fuel, or only tires, etc. to have to deal with.

The latest version of RCS64 doesn't even require an exit option, just hold throttle for a second and it triggers the exit. This makes a splash and dash even easier... enter, refuel, drive off.

When buttons are used to enter the pit menu, the opposite button combo is used for manual track call. E.G if pit menu is to hold brake, then track call is to hold both brake and LC.

·
Greg Gaub
16,834 Posts
I like that. Better yet, the Yellow Flag "screen" can have buttons to add (or remove) penalties to any of the 6 racers. Depending on rules, you might have multiple penalties to apply for one Yellow Flag activation. You might also accidentally apply one, and need to remove it.

·
Greg Gaub
16,834 Posts
This might be able to be assisted with a target lap time. I think this was first done on SSDC, but essentially you set a fixed speed car and determine it's target lap time at that speed. As it goes around, the app can increase or decrease speeds once the car comes in between a certain deviation from the target. The important thing is that you don't set the car at the limit of it's ability to get around the track, because as tires get dirty, it will tail out more, slowing down the lap, and causing the app to increase speed, compounding the issue. But, if it's speed is well within it's ability to go around without sliding, even when the tires get dusty, then automated speed adjustments work fine.

·
Greg Gaub
16,834 Posts
"Dynamic" or trigger brake option, on/off, please. I think this should be a driver-specific setting as opposed to a car setting or general setting of some kind. The brake button should still activate braking, but releasing the trigger should optionally activate brakes, or allow the car to coast.

Many drivers prefer to race with coasting instead of brakes when they release the trigger, especially for cars with strong traction magnets, which stop on a dime with full brakes, but can coast through turns nicely.

I was so used to this being part of the system, that I was surprised to find that it's missing from your app. To be fair, it's missing from the Scalextric app as well, so I'm hopeful that this CAN be an option, and that it's not hard-coded into the base to activate brakes when throttle returns to zero. That would suck royal donkey d....

·
Greg Gaub
16,834 Posts
@Magic there is a post in the ARC Air forum I want to make sure you're aware of.

·
Greg Gaub
16,834 Posts
Strange, if I search for „magic arc app“ I find it immediately in the App Store.
Henk, the link I posted goes directly to the feature request (which I will paste below), but the "preview" generated by the forum when I pasted the link is to the first post of the thread. In this way, the forum is stupid. The original post was from back when the app was not appearing in the store, which as you point out, is no longer the case... until next time. ;-)

This is the message I wanted @Magic to be aware of.

For the Air operation, I'd like a traditional analog race where both cars run both lanes and the result is the addition of the two races.

A step further, it would be good to be able to enter some large number of drivers and have the software generate the brackets of each driver in each lane and sum all the results.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts