SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
6,578 Posts
Hi folks... just to add, the distance between the blade sensors in the ARC powerbases is 300 mm (not 350mm). I think this would be a better length dimension to use for base transit speed calculations. Also, I like the idea of a user selectable scaling factor which defaults to 1:32 - JayEs suggestion gets my vote!

C

·
Banned
6,578 Posts
Yepp Magic... you are an ace!!! my suggestions are intended to help you with some fine details in terms of precision - I realise you are super busy taking on board everyones input and ideas... keep up the amazing progress :)

C

·
Banned
6,578 Posts
Hi Magic, there is a blade sensor towards each end of the track piece - it runs from one side of the rail to the other and to see it look for square apertures on the sides of the rails. The distance between the square apertures is 300mm. The circular hole is for the ID detect and as we know on the car the ID strobe LED is at a different position from the front of the blade. Consequently, the detection algorithm will be important if we need absolute precision of position measurement. If the algorithm measures time from the front of the blade then 300mm is correct. If the algorithm measures from the point at which ID detection is confirmed then the correct length will be less than 300mm, perhaps 295mm or there abouts. OK?

C

·
Banned
6,578 Posts
Yep JayE in my post #100 I also suggest 300mm as a sensible length for use in determining transit speed so I think we are in agreement :)

However there may still be some small errors in this approach depending how the timing algorithm functions for the car detection at the S/F line sensor when operating in digital mode. In this situation the S/F sensors are functioning as both blade detection AND detection of car ID. Hence there may potentially be a slight timing delay which would correspond to a slightly shorter measurement distance.

C.

·
Banned
6,578 Posts
Apologies for the very simple question... does the Magic app have pace cars implemented as yet? Had a quick look at the various set up pages and couldnt find any pace car setting? I have been trying to use the ARC APP in pace car mode... and having problems (its not counting laps correctly for the pacer car!) so... I am hoping to use a pacer car function within the Magic APP instead,.. any help would be very welcome please...

C

·
Banned
6,578 Posts
I really like what Magic has done... more advanced functionality but with an extremely clear and readable user display... and I also remember the amazing focus on user needs as Magic used this forum to seek enthusiast input and insight. User led innovation in action real time! Excellent!

However, in my opinion the Magic app is reaching the point where the SSD BLE protocol is starting to limit new developments. We now need enthusiasts to come up with Pit-Pro-2 a new pit sensor system that integrates with the Magic app via a second BLE channel. Anyone up for this?

C

·
Banned
6,578 Posts
My opinion is the app is what it is. Convenient, trendy but extremely limited. Adding extra channel would only halve the problem.
Hi Rick, I realise this all comes down to personal opinions... and in that spirit... I feel the ARC PRO deserves some proper pit lane features... and the Magic app is potentially an exciting way forward on this... but only for some. Others will choose different options...

C

·
Banned
6,578 Posts
Possibly Magic is busy with his day-job or other priorities... maybe even that brand bashing nonsense which kicks in occasionally is a slight factor?

By the way... the Magic app unlocks four lane digital functionality with the ARC PRO... something the Hornby official app cannot do at present... very cool!

C

·
Banned
6,578 Posts
I suggest we focus on the original post which in my opinion reaches out in good faith to casual users and enthusiasts alike for requests for development of the Magic unofficial app...

The alternative powerbase discussion already exists elsewhere, I remember contributing to it.

So, in terms of requests... my new request is for a software switch which selects how pitting is signalled:

1/ brake button pressing as currently used
2/ a second BLE channel which reads a timestamp and status byte generated from pit sensors which shows which cars are currently pitting.

C

·
Banned
6,578 Posts
I am interested to learn which of the requests on this thread are likely to appear in future upgrades of the Magic Arc app? The software, in my opinion, is really excellent and great fun... I am really looking forward to any upgrades that Magic has time and interest to bring forward.

C

1 - 14 of 14 Posts