Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Slot-A-Holic
5,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya,

I see many talking about 6mm braid, i can get this magnabraid for an affordable price but am wondering if i am missing something here?

Would you consider this braid?

If no could you please tell me why not?

Is it too narrow?

Cross section: 2.05 mm ²
Material: tinned copper / stainless steel
Size: ca 5.00 x 0.70 mm
Price: 1.45 € / m

Wan't to be sure of things before i take the leap...

*one small groove for a router... one giant leap for a Jaak*

·
Registered
17 Posts
I used the Magnabraid years ago when I built my track and I loved it... Not sure what the width was though as I no longer have the track.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Hi Jaak
Some stainless steel is magnetic, some is non magnetic. Which sort is this? Easy to check with a magnet if you have a sample.

5mm is OK for plastic chassis type 1/32 - quite a lot of home tracks are built with 5mm.
6mm (or 1/4") wide is the standard for 1/24 and 1/32.

If possible get a small sample and check it lays round bends OK. Some steel / stainless steel braid is rather stiff which makes it difficult to lay (unlike Magnabraid which lays well)

·
Slot-A-Holic
5,504 Posts
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies

It is listed under magnetic braid so it should be ok i think just a shame it is not wide enough.

I want to run 1:24 and 1:32 and 1:43, reading the replies 5mm will not be the right braid for me.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Dont buy magnetic unless you like mag racing as its substantially dearer.

·
Slot-A-Holic
5,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Rick,

From the cars that i race it is 50-50,
many cars would need serious upgrading to make them bearable magless and some probably never will become ok magless,
so i have not much choice i think.

·
Slot-A-Holic
5,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heya Joel,

Just a follow up,
seems i was not worthy of a reply.

Still greatly appreciate you thinking along with me.

·
Registered
524 Posts
If you are racing 1/24, go for 6mm braid and slot depth at least 8mm deep. Very important to leave about 1mm gap from the slot edge to where the braid starts, a 18mm braid recess is good for 6.35mm (1/4") braid with 3.2mm (1/8") slot.

- Cam

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
QUOTE (merkit the grof @ 5 Oct 2012, 21:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Jaak, you'll be fine with 5mm.
That would he a huge error.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
As stated you need 1/4" braid for 1/24, well if you want to do it properly.

·
Peter Rondel
6,022 Posts
I'm aware of teh stated sizes. But my question was why? Losing contact too easy, less magnatraction? Size of the car braids? Size of the guide? Just looking for a reason, nothing else.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
1/24 braids wider than 1/32 so need wider track braid to accomodate. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
The braids on most 1/24 and the faster types of 1/32 are the same size. 6mm track braid is suitable for them.

Most plastic chassis type 1/32 have narrower pick up braids, so 5mm track braid is OK if you only want to use those sort of cars. Plastic chassis cars will run happily on 6mm braid, so if you want the option to run other sorts of car, 6mm is the best choice.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Up to the builder but all 1/24 tracks Ive ever seen use 1/4". If someone wants to use 3/16" go for it. Im building a 1/24 track right at this minute and theres no way Id use 3/16" (5.0 mm)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts