SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Ray
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi understand that the magnet marshal is currently not in production. I can remember seeing a similar device from another manufacture on the web somewhere can someone point me in the right direction for this?

Ray

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Shame it only comes with the scales as I already have a them.

Would be interested in seeing how this actually works?

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
I don't race with magnets so it's never been an issue with me. But I am curious...

Do people need to know exactly what downforce a car has or is it simply to make sure a car doesn't exceed a set downforce limit?

If it is the latter then why not get a lump of steel that weighs exactly what the downforce limit is. Stick some styrene on top to simulate permitted ground clearance. Use the car to try to pick up the weight - if it can't then the downforce is below the weight. If it does then it's over and needs to be adjusted. It's a very quick test and could be used by a scrutineer to do half a dozen cars in about a minute.

If you wanted to refine it then you could find a small plastic box and bolt a steel plate to the top. You can then put stuff into the box to adjust the weight. Those scales are unbelievably cheap on ebay. The whole solution would cost under a fiver.

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
I want one for two separate reasons.

1. I want to limit the magnetic down-force for out performance class.
2. I want to check the club cars are similar.

I agree, your version would work but I want to be lazy, stick a car on a device and have the numbers there.

I don't think this one does that, unlike the Magnet Marshall I'm waiting for.

I also agree, my micro scales cost me less than £10 which seems to make up almost 50% of the price of this one, I wonder if Pendles would split them up?

·
Mr. Olufsen
1,212 Posts
Jaak did a topic on his home made magnet marshal here a couple of years ago.

He was inspired by RichD, who's own version can be seen in the same thread.

·
Rich Dumas
3,595 Posts
Here is what we used when we still ran cars with traction magnets. Now all of our tracks are wood and only one of those has Magnabraid, so they became useless. Each track had its own scale and a jig with a standard magnet was use to ionsure that all of the scales read the same.

·
Ray
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey thanks all yes the MSC was the one I was looking for.

Would be interesting to see how the MSC compares to the original magnet Marshal if anyone has compared these.

MR Modifier we run only one class (Scalextric US Muscle Car) and there is a down force limit. There is also a national competition running magnets each year so it is primarily a limit check. As we normally run non magnet it also helps on the magnet tuning for these magnet classes. There are a couple of club members with the original Magnet Marshall (One has 2 of these) it is interesting that there is a variation between each of these with the same car.

I have made a cheep one myself which is ok for comparing cars however the readings are no where near the Magnet Marshalls at the club.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I'd hold fire on a decision until the Magnet Marshal 2 is out.

There should be news after the US Toy Fair, which is next month....

·
Greg Gaub
14,981 Posts
What I heard was that the next MagnetMarshal will be based on the Di Slot (DS) Electronic Testing Bench, just with a lot less features than that product.

·
Ray
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 28 Jan 2014, 19:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd hold fire on a decision until the Magnet Marshal 2 is out.

There should be news after the US Toy Fair, which is next month....

QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 29 Jan 2014, 14:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What I heard was that the next MagnetMarshal will be based on the Di Slot (DS) Electronic Testing Bench, just with a lot less features than that product.

Thanks for the heads up

Ray

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I hope that you guys realise that those magnet marshal type scales can be easily fooled into reading a lower magnetic pull than what is actually generated. Ever wondered why your magnetic racing buddy always seems to have more grip that you but still reads under the max allowed magnetic limit? He's obviously found that secret loophole.... Id tell you how to do it but then Id stop winning races

cheers
rick1776

·
Greg Gaub
14,981 Posts
what? putting the magnet(s) to the sides rather than on center? using a stepped magnet?
I assume it's something less obvious, because any proper tech inspection should include removing the body.

·
Ray
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (rick1776 @ 29 Jan 2014, 15:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I hope that you guys realise that those magnet marshal type scales can be easily fooled into reading a lower magnetic pull than what is actually generated. Ever wondered why your magnetic racing buddy always seems to have more grip that you but still reads under the max allowed magnetic limit? He's obviously found that secret loophole.... Id tell you how to do it but then Id stop winning races

cheers
rick1776

Not when the cars a checked with the bodies off.

Hey Rick you are not guilty off this trick what ever it is??

Cheers
Ray

·
Registered
534 Posts
Magnetic pull can be understated on a Magnet Marsal type device if there is not sufficient ground clearance on car to allow the scale to be compressed fully.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
QUOTE (Ratracer @ 29 Jan 2014, 05:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not when the cars a checked with the bodies off.

Hey Rick you are not guilty off this trick what ever it is??

Cheers
Ray

Only teasing ya Ray. I dont race magnet stuff. But you can fool a magnet marshall if you really wanted to. Unfortunately I play by the rules though, so no bending (breaking) the rules for me.

cheers
rick1776

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
You are not fooling it, the game has changed is all.

A device which better reflects what actually happens on track would be good, and maybe the MM2 will be that device.

·
Ray
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (rick1776 @ 30 Jan 2014, 00:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Only teasing ya Ray. I dont race magnet stuff. But you can fool a magnet marshall if you really wanted to. Unfortunately I play by the rules though, so no bending (breaking) the rules for me.

cheers
rick1776

Hey hey I know Rick. When are you going to come and do some real racing with us?

Ray

·
Greg Gaub
14,981 Posts
Ground clearance is an important part of a spec (and inspection) when it comes to magnet racing, especially when that racing takes place on raised rail tracks like Ninco or Scalextric Classic/SCX.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts