SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the threads on magnet vs non magnet racing for slot cars and I've read the recent thread on front wheel drive cars vs rear wheel drive cars. I'm thinking there might be a correlation here.

Yeah, this is right out there in left field (American slang phrase meaning far fetched) but this is my thought. I'm thinking that people that don't like traction magnets in their slot cars probably drive front wheel drive cars in real life. Of course this leads to the other side of the coin where magnet racers either drive rear wheel drive cars or prefer them in real life.

I'm not sure if you want to hear my reasoning so I won't put that here

What do you guys think?

non magnet people = fwd cars
magnet people = rwd cars

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Well, completely the opposite here Bill!!
I like RWD 1:1 cars and I like racing non-mag. Oh, my motorcycle is RWD too

I do race mag cars too, especially F1, but my preference lies with some opposite lock action.

Mark.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I have to confess that his theory seems unlikely.
I would have thought that the enhanced ability to 'steer' the back end via the loud pedal would correlate RWD enthusiasts with no mag slot racers. I'd be very interested to see the reasoning behind the opposing theory.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Very few customers can tell, care or even know the difference between FWD and RWD. Even BMW - committed to RWD as a point of brand differentiation - now have to tell customers that their cars are RWD and that it is somehow better.

Some customers think they prefer RWD (sporty, etc) but can't actually tell the difference. Few drivers ever get close to handling limits (knowingly at least) so can't tell.

·
Jim Moyes
5,069 Posts
And there speaks the voice of experience! Somebody who has managed to lose control of both front and rear wheel drive cars!

Mr.M

·
Registered
166 Posts
Best to keep him away from any 4WD's then, he might get a 'Full House'

I wonder if Toyota can provide him with a tracked vehicle, might be slower and more stable - no parking problems either!!!!

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
Well chaps.

For me RWD front engine is preferable. I find it more predictable. Before some know it all jumps in. I have considerable experience of all the configurations both on Track and road. Mid engine rear wheel drive is for the ultimate in performance on the track. On the road I'm yet to be convinced!
For todays motoring on our horrendously congested roads, I'm firmly of the opinion that front engine RWD is the best.
I can tell the difference between FWD & RWD. I can however believe that there are a number of drivers that cannot.
When all comes to all, the best configuration, is the one with which you are most comfortable.

alfetta

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE Somebody who has managed to lose control of both front and rear wheel drive cars!

Scott isn't alone!
But he's right! In most cases - most drivers don't have enough feel for a car to know why they just went off the road!

Alfetta.... agreed!
Although, I will throw in that FWD is an easy way out on very snowy roads!

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
My tracked vehicle experience is limited, but I once took a quad bike over a water-filled oil barrel - while it was standing up.

I was in a gymkhana type thing and was doing well, but over ran a bend. I thought about braking, but quickly decided that if I hit the barrel hard enough the bike would bounce it out of the way. I didn't think about it being heavy due to the days and days of rain water inside. The barrel didn't move an inch.

Witnesses claimed it to be a unique sight; the bike and me at first going nose up vertical, then over the top, then nose down vertical on the other side. I hit the ground and stopped momentarily, balancing precariously. Fortunately (skill really, I'm being modest) the front wheels gripped and pulled the front forward and the rears landed behind. Otherwise the bike would have landed upside down on top of me.

Anyway, anyone got a tank I can have a go in?

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
That's true almost came a cropper in my Lotus Elite (14) on the A30 awhile back. I will throw in that I was very impressed with the traction on a sunbeam Stilleto in very similar cicumstances.

Alfetta

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
Is now the time to remind Scott of his 'off' in a hire car in Scotland that he posted about here?

I like rear-wheel drive 1:1 cars (but would pick up a R32 and R33 for sure if my system with the lottery ever kicks in) and prefer NC-1 and SCX WRC no mags in 1:32.

However, I do now see the different kind of skill required with mag racing and enjoy it for a change. To run a Ninco NC-2, lap after lap, at full chat is a good distraction. We did 20 lap heats last night and I ran my NC-5 M3 (the one from the JGTC) and it was fun trying to take it up to the limit and not beyond.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts