SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
10,123 Posts
Someone posted a thread where they had a magnet at the back of the cars and a reed switch at the front, so if you got too close it cut power...

·
ParrotGod
7,925 Posts
This was entered at the same time as Riko's post above. Riko's suggested approach is more advanced than the one below.

you mean to put the magnets in front and back of the cars such that they push away two cars that are bumper to bumper?

If this is what you are referring to, then it has been done for pacecars.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, that is what I had in mind. Using slim magnets. Pace cars are what I had in mind. I like to run several pace cars and collisions are unavoidable. It struck me that magnets back and front using opposite polarity may work. Thanks for your reply

widders.

·
Greg Gaub
14,801 Posts
In my experience, it won't stop a high speed collision from happening, but it might soften the blow between the front and rear of cars that are more or less following along at similar speeds. If you're able to glue the magnets to the OUTSIDE of the bumpers, at the same height for all cars, and perfectly perpendicular to the track and rails such that they are always nicely aligned when cars are about to collide, it might be able to stop actual contact, but I think it will be more trouble to accomplish than it's worth. If you're OK with something ugly on the bumper of cars, just put on some thick adhesive foam window/door gasket strip to serve as actual, physical cushion.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your post, my thought was to glue the magnet on the inside of the body she'll where possible. I realise it won't stop the impact but should soften it to minimise damage. I am looking at slim oblong magnets of 1 mm thickness.

·
ParrotGod
7,925 Posts
I read about this in these pages. For a short while, we run a nascar series. The cars were provided by one of the racers. He had 7 cars in total, 4 of which were used as pacers with RCS64. We put the magnets on these cars running all in one line and the end result was ok.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your interest. I shall go ahead with a test, and will add the results at a later date.

best regards

1 - 8 of 8 Posts