No answer yet to our radio production problem but I hope to have it sorted early in the new year.
Meanwhile I have been trying out new ideas with a view to implementing these into the new production.
I have been looking at more easily available batteries, preferably ones with protection circuits and one
possibility is the RCR123, popular in cameras etc. Having built a couple of prototypes, I was pleased with
the run duration of over 40 minutes (not counting the coffee break needed half way through). As my
10440 cells were all ancient, I had ordered a new batch of the usual Trustfire blue unprotected some time ago
and they arrived today. Testing these against the CR123s would be a good excuse for a play I thought.
Amazingly,after 45 minutes, the car was still lapping at race speeds and, with my fingers frozen to the
controller, I decided to call it a day. 45 minutes on Linford 2 circuit equates to around 225 laps and 3025
route changes (lane and racing line). The coil steering actuator uses approx. half the current so, with a more
efficient coil, even longer runs would be possible.
So not much point in looking at a larger battery then!
One other small improvement I have been working on is body mounting. The triple magnet idea is easy to
adjust and instant to fit and remove. Under racing conditions however, a more robust method in needed.
The car shown, still covered in dust after it's 45 minute run, has a horizontal peg at the front in lieu of the
usual magnet. This is very positive and also allows the chassis to flex slightly.
Other pic shows the CR123 battery. This is slightly shorter so the chassis can be narrower. The chassis is
adjustable for wheelbase.