Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bodies are around 22-23 grams (R8 and Nissan GTR)

Problem is the chassis. 22 for the audi and 26 for the GTR.

I drilled the living daylight out of the R8 chassis, but at 14 grams I barely have a chassis left..

This isnt working.. Seen that NSR mosler lightweight chassis isonly 3 grams, they sure did an incredible job on that.

If I want to scratch build a chassis, has anyone got even close to the 3 gram mosler chassis? (it must be the plastic they use as well.)

Anyone knows what a performance body weighs, like audi RAW or any other lightweight body that still looks decent.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Try a Slot.it HRS chassis. I have a few Carrera cars mounted on various HRS setups and they work well. Don't think they'll ever be Mosler killers though!

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Weight is just one of many factors involved in making a slot car lap faster.
Lighter isn't necessarily better - it's more a question of having the weight in the right places.
The height of the centre of gravity is one factor that makes a difference.
Lightening the chassis and leaving the body the same weight can be expected to raise the centre of gravity.
In many slot cars that makes the car worse, although it can be an advantage with cars that lack grip and are prone to excessive sliding in corners.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Similar to the above replies but you can also use a sanding disc in a dremmel and sand the inside of the carrera body carefully to thin it which will make it lighter. Also you may be able to adapt a lexan interior to fit instead of the carrera interior which will save weight.
The glass can be replaced with clear lexan which may save a couple of grams too.
The chassis can sometimes be slimmed down and junk all the electrics, lights etc and the circuitry mounts on the chassis and just use the guide wire back to the motor.

Thats about as much you can do other than magnesium wheels, hollow axles (it may help!) or even seal the interior space and fill it with helium!

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
Carrera chassis are very thick. I had a Bentley from them a few years ago. You can cut big chunks out of that nasty chassis but it'll still be heavy. It was like running a half-a-brick around the track.

If you go for a SlotIt HRS chassis then get somebody to check the weight of it first. It's never struck me as lightweight, for sure.

Alternatively, fot a more powerful motor (not rpm but more powerful torque) to pull that heap of plastic around and make sure you are using a low ohm controller to cope with the weight and the motor. An NSR shark should do the trick if the rotor arm is long enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts