SlotForum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Rich Dumas
4,540 Posts
XLR connectors have become more popular with 1/32nd tracks in the US. All of the Shoreline Model Raceways tracks have them. I believe that we started the trend. XLR connectors have many virtues. They can carry a lot of current, there is only a single connection to make, the connectors lock in place, they do not short, they cannot be connected incorrectly and they cannot be plugged into a wall outlet. Screw post connectors at the driver's stations with alligator clips on the controllers are the rule on 1/24th and HO tracks It can spoil your whole day if you hook up wrong and it can even spoil the track owner's day if he has a big power supply and neglected to include the proper protection.

· Rich Dumas
4,540 Posts
Alligator clips don't make sense to me either, my track is HO and that is what I have. HO racers are ultra conservative I guess. We run track calls at our HO races most of the time, but mine is the only track out of a dozen or so that has a track call button. I have been tempted to add XLR connectors, but I expect that nobody else would use them, that being the case installing the female connectors at the driver's stations and male connectors on all of my controllers would be a waste of time and effort. I do have an XLR to alligator clip adapter.
In practice we have never had someone fail to disconnect properly, even when we do driver changes during an endurance race. With most of our tracks the table or connectors would not be likely to go any place. My experience has been that if something can possibly go wrong it will sooner or later. Those wishing to sleep soundly at night might be better off using banana plugs, however banana jacks that are mounted pointing up would cause the same problem as XLRs that are not disconnected before the driver runs off. Having seen a very expensive custom track go up in smoke when someone hooked up wrong with a car on the track I worry more about that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.