SlotForum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1,497 Posts
when RTR club racing finally started revival in NZ (several years behind europe), there was just one RTR club for some years.
They used XLR and were negative polarity - to stay consistent with their many home plastic tracks.

When I set up the 2nd club - in a different part of the country - we went positive polarity, to get wider access to controllers, and because there were a few metal chassis clubs around, and we thought we might one day inter-act.

We also used XLR plugs, but used the reverse ends -ie the -ve polarity club has female cords, we have male cords.

Metal chassis racers use the old "jug plugs", which was somewhere I didn't want to go. But we have lots of XLR to Jug plug adapters around club, as some members also race metal chassis here and nationally now, and one local track was fitted with the jug plugs as the builder was focusing on a test track for metal chassis racing.

In 6 years I have fixed exactly one shorted out XLR controller plug that someone in-experienced tried to solder up, that tripped the safety on our power supply.

We now have a number of clubs around NZ, all +ve polarity except the original club, and XLR has become the standard.

No matter what connector someone uses, if they try and walk away with their controller plugged in, it is likely to be sideways to the push-in angle, as they slide to the next lane station; so it is almost immaterial whether the connector locks or not. In that circumstance no connector will just pull out, and damage will be determined by the amount of force they applied as they walk with controller in hand.

In practice, no-one round our club does that, maybe we're a bit more relaxed, and usually allow 75 - 90 seconds for lane swap between heats, so it's all quite "mechanical"
End of heat we over-ride the "dead track" to recover our cars, pull our controller, pick up the car and shuffle one lane sideways. Peel the existing lane colour round label off the car, replace it with the next one, wipe our tyres on tape to remove any dust, hit the track, run a couple of laps warm-up, then line up. Someone kills the power over-ride [for "dead track starts] ready for the software to do the countdown, and we often still have 15 - 20 seconds to spare.

XLR at least has internal wire locks, are metal, and pretty bullet proof [I used to use them as a 'roadie' for bands 30 years back on all our mikes, and they are hard to break]
In practice, I don't think we've ever had someone pull so hard they ripped the wires on their controller or broke a driver station, and of some couple of hundred controllers I have "plugged up" for customers before delivery, I've never ever had one back for plug repair. So I don't think the fact that they lock creates any real damage issue.

That they DO lock has probably saved a bunch of guys bacon as it is pretty seldom that someone only part pushes one in without clicking the latch, thus finding he has no power at start of a heat - or losing power part way through because he didn't quite push it in hard enough.

Certainly, for all the reasons RichD mentioned, XLRs are one good choice, and I am glad we chose them and developed the "standard" here.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.