SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... How do you make them, are are they THAT GOOD???

I heard the term being spoken about at the club, and I'm curious...

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
You don't need any special rims.

Glue the edges of the tyre on the inside and outside.

Rum oil into the tyre. Repeat.

Eventually the oil will expand the tyre, and since there is nowhere for the rubber to go (because it's glued down at the edges), it will bubble in the middle.

This creates a pnuematic effect and when the car is sitting still, the bubble will flaten out and give the same contact patch as before, but when it is on the straights the tyres will expand due to centrifugal force and the contact patch is reduced and therefore reduces friction, but more importantly the larger diameter tyre increases speed down the straights.

It all sounds a bit silly, but it definatly works, and is consequently banned at most Southern clubs.

Check if rules allow you to do this first, because I have seen people disqualified from entire events for running pnuematics.

Andy

·
Vendor
2,926 Posts
It works VERY well on smooth surfaces like Scalex Sport, Carrera, Polistil. If you add some tyre trueing between oil application, the tyre will be even better... Does not work on Ninco.

One question: how long has this been around in the UK? In Italy it was developed to its fullest by Davide Santagati (who is a great driver as well, BTW), starting in 2001, and before, as far as I know, the technique was not known

Best regards
Maurizio

QUOTE (McLaren @ 14 Dec 2004, 21:51)You don't need any special rims.

Glue the edges of the tyre on the inside and outside.

Rum oil into the tyre. Repeat.

Eventually the oil will expand the tyre, and since there is nowhere for the rubber to go (because it's glued down at the edges), it will bubble in the middle.

This creates a pnuematic effect and when the car is sitting still, the bubble will flaten out and give the same contact patch as before, but when it is on the straights the tyres will expand due to centrifugal force and the contact patch is reduced and therefore reduces friction, but more importantly the larger diameter tyre increases speed down the straights.

It all sounds a bit silly, but it definatly works, and is consequently banned at most Southern clubs.

Check if rules allow you to do this first, because I have seen people disqualified from entire events for running pnuematics.

Andy
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
The technique has been been around since the 60s barrie adams ran some on the mrrc works car mrrc later sold them in both 1/32 and 1/24th I have some of the 1/24th ones in my colection . As maurizio points out they were popular in italy polistil fitted them to there hi performance series and they worked well on plexy track

1 - 6 of 6 Posts