SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing Aberstones very clever shock absorbing hedges on his Pembrey II rally stage, I thought I'd have a go.

First off, get some packing material that TVs and printers come supported on in their boxes. Easy - tons of the stuff in the lab in work.

Attack with a Dremmel wire brush attachemnt,

Give it a good dollop of matt black emulsion - this is for the shadows in the hedge, then dry-ish brush it over with brown, using two or three stages. In this pic, I've overdone the brown a bit, as subsequently it was too prominent in the last stages.

Next was several layers of green dry brushed on, getting a shade darker each time.
You can see from this pic what I meant about overdoing the brown - the inside of the hedge looks too light. Ah well, live and learn.

and I finally ended up with this. Quite pleased for a first attempt and learned a few tricks as I went along. The colour isn't very well represented on the pics, it actually looks quite natural in the flesh. I know it's not up to the standard of a lot of the contributors on here, but it was good to have a go and I've now got the oomph to start on detailing my main track.

It really is very spongey - thats what drew me too it on Phil's (Aberstone's) track - very gentle on deslotted cars!
Many thanks to Phil for his advice and guidance and giving me the spark to get going! Cheers.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Cheers for that Flight-Lt.

We could do with some hedges here at MRW.

Got some of that foam stuff stashed for a bit of landscaping.

Didn't think of making hedges out of it before.

Brilliant work with the old Dremmel wire thingy.

Was wondering if it might work to do rocks (maybe not), spot on perfect shape for a nice bit of Laural though.

Can you make 1:32 miniature winners Laurals with it as well ?

Nice work Snurfen

Si.

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
Nice. Very nice.

Infinitely better than putting it in landfill and good news for delicate slot cars.

If I show you how to make silicon casts can you show me how to make hedges?

·
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Deal Richard!

I was thinking something along those lines Embs, even a bit of red glitter (dull, not shiny!) for a berry type bush!

That link to the Turkish railway has really got me thinking - I even photographed a few trees in work today, as I could see them being replicated in wire and solder.

I've made a vid of the track, so will post it back on my original thread "Up the Slingsby" when I get around to cutting it down to a more managebale length (the vid, not the track!). I'll be looking for bits of advice over on that thread about how to landscape it.

·
Phil B.
3,765 Posts

Nice one Martyn - the good thing about it is that it bends easily to glue in place. I stippled some sawdust on the last coat on mine and I really need to do more dry brushing in shades as Em says to get some depth.
Cheers - Phil

·
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love that track Phil! It's my joint favourite with Kilarney.

Will be nosing around looking at all the shapes and colours of your hedges next Thursday, for more ideas. Thanks again for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts