Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post on this board normally i'm Digital. I want to have a change from rug racing LMP's. So I thought of buying an SCX car/cars with long drop arms then modifieing some scaley track to have "boulders" to drive through VERY slowly. So the question is how tall and other restrictions e.g side to side height diffrence and gradient/spacing do I need to be within to make diving possible using the standard SCX long arm cars. ( List of which ones would also help). Any other sage words like materials, paint etc. Remember this will be rug raceing track so to some extent sophistication will have to bow to the reqiurements for diassembly. Hot melt glue is great on scaley track but I guess I would want to glue somthing on? All ideas welcome

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
The SCX Tuareg has a drop arm.

Try duct taping pieces of wood to the tape until you arrive at a height and shape you like.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Built the first special pies a bumpy bump. Straight section cut underneath and part through the rail and then bent to a hump. The Ford Focus grounds on the bump but that OK is no supposed to be easy.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The drop arms are much longer on an SCX than Ninco and if you look at some of the special scx offroad sections you will see they can conquer a good sized obstacle . The ramps are over a cm high

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks thats the sort of data I want. Can the arm take any angle or just height?

·
Registered
455 Posts
The drop arm is in a pivot on the chassis so it only drops straight down . You do get some sideways play off the suspension . The guide probably drops 6 cm or more below the car !

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can sombody point at som inpirational off road tracks. The vids I find just look like painted LMP tracks (my LMP track has tight bends). I'm looking for complex obsticals, really rough tracK. Somthing that needs caerful driving not just drifting. Somthing to maks driving something like a tureg a real interesting nightnmare.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Don't know if they are inspirational as they are more for the scenery, but I like watching these Spanish ones & the music and you can see a selection of SCX, Ninco & Avant Slot (I'm guessing) . I'd have thought the sand would quickly screw up the motor and moving parts though.

Don't get to attached to the 2-motor 6-wheel trucks unless you want to part with the best part of £100.

-See rocks at 1'10"
http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/Z0DAD_RRWUk?rel=0
(Originally posted by Doug)

- and the SCX off-road promo:
http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/i8pWyVSgZmU?rel=0
I love flooring the throttle and taking off over the hump-back bridge but the cars are taking a real beating and probably won't last too long.

- and finally the arty one:
http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/ccYYEkm5ZdA?rel=0

And there are forum member's pics of the Raid vehicles here

Chris

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Inpired by the vid the next quest was for the utimate rug raceing rock! Then a brainstorm (or insanity) hit me. Lump wood charcoal. Its light, easlity worked and can be hardened, I hope, with dilute PVA. It has a rack like "look" and once painted should be durable. That is in trial now. Weight is a key issue for a mature rug racer! Just need to find some cars. Can you convert a car to long drop arm? Also does the SCX splash pool actualy create and hazard or is it just for looks? If there is a bored old timer out there, there is a need for a guide to off road track design. What is available, what makes a nightmare to drive.

Brian on a quest for the ultimate off road experience. Why are their no pics of very rough terrain going round corners?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
QUOTE (UshCha @ 14 Aug 2012, 08:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Also does the SCX splash pool actually create a hazard or is it just for looks?
Nope, and the gel went hard after a day ... but it looks nice.

Also, I don't think it's sand in the videos. Apparently people use ground corn, cocoa or flour but I haven't tried it. This will also make a nice pattern on your rug.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Great topic! I was currently mulling over this exact subject, as I have some Scale Sport track I want to try & convert to dirt/off road track. I'll take pictures & let you know how it turns out.

One thing I'd suggest is to not make the circuit too difficult. I've done this in the past & well it's all well and good to have a challenge, it gets to be a drag real fast when 3 out of 4 times you can't negotiate the hazard. I've had this issue w/jumps (cars desolt on landing if you don't hit it exactly right) hills (too steep and the cars get stuck going up) & bumps/hazards (too intense, deslots). My point is to experiment a bit before you set something in stone. Cheers!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
downdowndeco,
Thanks for that which car/cars do you use and any reasons. Ps lumpwood PVA'ed looks like it could be ideal. First test pieces seem stong and dust less. Still need to pain (and get car to test it ;-).

·
Registered
642 Posts
I only have Ninco raid cars/trucks. They all handle a little differently because they have different wheel base lengths. I have removed the magnets and added weight. I like 'em.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I'm inspired by the vid. but I'm thinking 1/4mile shale oval and stock cars.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chris99,
Thanks for the vid.

Last night was the first attempt as the Touareg turned up. It was fun leaping across the humps and tapeing some obsticals to the track to get an idea of what it will get over. The answer was actuayl quite a lot. We are still struggeling oi get a slippy track. Boot polish Fail, PVA coating Fail, Sandiing track smooth FAIL, Candel wax Not quite fail but not good. Touareg tires are really grippy and the car tends to roll not drift. Anybody got a good suggestion. My next is to try sticky backed plastic.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
By mixing school and Karate Kit I got a slippy track. Whayt I really mean is I spent 49p at ALDI for some school book cover self adhesive plastic to cover an R2. Disaster shiney as hell and more grip than a standard track WHAT! However then I applied WD40 to the entire surface "Wipe it on Wipe it off" It did somthing and now its a sliipy as you could want even for the Touareg tires. First attempt with Charcoal rough track using Blutack indicates I'm on the right track. Will try to get pics soon of my bits.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts