SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's funny how a good idea is just the old idea turned upside down. When I designed the steering system for my chassis I knew that the stub axle should be glued to the hub, then the wheel should spin on the stub axle. A little time spent with the Zeus tables reminded me that 3/32" axle was almost the right size for tapping an M2.5 thread, so an M2.5 nut could hold the wheel on - easy.

I've been tinkering with these chassis for a while now, but it only took Mr Modifier of this parish 10 minutes to come up with a better way! If you can glue the wheel to the stub axle you can re-use the wheels off your donor bodyshell, then you need to let the stub axle spin in the hub. It's the exact opposite of what I'd done before.

After a discussion about how best to do this, we settled on keeping the 3/32" axle diameter because that suits most wheels, and putting a 1/8" bush into the hub. First open up the hole in the hub to 3.2mm, and cut a length of aluminium (because the axle would still be brass) to length. The one on the right is the original.

The new bush just breaks through where the kingpin fits, so clear this out with the 2mm drill bit

And it's done

This may look like a 3/32" rivet cut to length, but it's the perfect stub axle

Need to take a slither of material off the front axle, to clear the head of the rivet. I've put a few nylon washers on to make the front track wider, Starsky's Torino is a "full size" American car!

Same for the other side

Rear end is exactly as the standard chassis, but with a longer rear axle

Checking for clearance

Fasten the whole lot together, and it's done!

That saves the cost of 4 Penelope Pitlane wheels and the Ninco Classic tyres that go with it. And you don't need custom wheel inserts. I need to cut down the interior a little, wire up the motor and fit the lights, but that's pretty straightforward.

If you have a big old car that needs to lean through corners and steer when you powerslide it, it's now much easier and cheaper to do. Thanks to Mr Modifier for his help, ideas from anyone else are welcomed!

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chassis fitted. I used the front and rear of the original Scalextric chassis because it holds in the light units

Zebra 3, ready to go!

If anyone who's bought a chassis wants the hub bushes and stub axles to use other wheels, drop me a PM and I'll put some in the post.

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
That's just how I remember US TV car chases... soft suspension, massive body roll & front bumpers scraping on the tarmac.
In my head I'm making the tyre squealing noises to go with the pictures.
Cheers,
Richard

·
Registered
627 Posts
another oscar winner! is it just my imagination , or is the torino a tad more "wallowy" than your resin bodies offerings? looks like an absolute hoot though.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
I think the bodyshell is heavier than my resin ones and it sits a little higher too, because Starsky's car was quite high at the back. I remember all the Mk2 Cortinas from my childhood with the same stance and Wolfrace slot mags!

The track width is also wider than normal which makes the spring rate effectively softer, so it leans harder into the corners. I should probably raise the front a little, drop the back a touch and stiffen the springs up too, for the A Team van I had to fit additional springs on the front suspension to support the higher centre of gravity!

The Blues Brothers car is set up quite stiff, the Cadillac quite soft and Starsky's car is maybe a touch softer than the Cadillac for the moment. If you look at the Cadillac cornering at 50 seconds in, it could probably stand being made softer. The film is slowed down for those few seconds to see it better but I don't think a real Caddy would be that composed through an S bend?

It's all quite easy to tweak but I really wanted to get the thing in front of the camera quickly

·
Registered
627 Posts
that was in no way a criticism...just an observation..
. the car looks superb in action! so , is a mk2 'tina in the pipeline then?
(rather see a 2 door mk3 personally!) keep up the good work choc-ice , its a joy to see!!

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
If you're going for continental drift with the cop shows a Dolly Sprint surely has to be on the cards.

They're just working better and better. Love the concept. Love the execution. Love the videos.

Embs

·
Registered
627 Posts
QUOTE (Ember @ 26 Jun 2012, 23:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you're going for continental drift with the cop shows a Dolly Sprint surely has to be on the cards.

.....or a mk1 granada vs mk2 jag.....guv!!! the old ganny always had huuuuuge wallow factor.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You're not the first person to mention that combination; I'm not sure I'll sell enough as that's a minority interest within a minority interest of slot cars among the minority interest of slot cars.

Having studied my bank balance I need to sell some more of what I've got before new resin tooling is bought

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
QUOTE (petestrike @ 26 Jun 2012, 21:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>that was in no way a criticism...just an observation..
. the car looks superb in action! so , is a mk2 'tina in the pipeline then?
(rather see a 2 door mk3 personally!) keep up the good work choc-ice , its a joy to see!!

There's a 2-door Mk.3 body available at Pendle. And a Mk.II Jag come to that. Equip both bodies with Mr. Ice's chassis and running gear and Robert is your mother's brother...

·
Registered
627 Posts
QUOTE (choc-ice @ 27 Jun 2012, 20:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You're not the first person to mention that combination; I'm not sure I'll sell enough as that's a minority interest within a minority interest of slot cars among the minority interest of slot cars.

Having studied my bank balance I need to sell some more of what I've got before new resin tooling is bought

ok ... so if we all promise to buy one each and clear your stocks , could you be persuaded to turn out some proper classic british motors too? personally i wouldn't be too worried about any particular telly association , just a big old bus hounding around would be cool enough! what springs to mind (apologies if they have already been produced) are a mk10 or series 1 xj6 jaguar or a rover p5b. all big , glorious old "barges"!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts