SlotForum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1,889 Posts
I've finally plucked up enough courage (or stupidity?
) to dive in and post my opinion on this topic.

I think what all this boils down to is the male psyche. We all get passionate about things we like, especially when in our case it's fast things:- Race cars, fast women, aircraft, scratch-built toy bus!!
Quite a few people on here know, love and have maybe even owned the real car that the model is based on. These people can immediately tell if something about the model isn't quite right - their enthusiasm and knowledge of the subject facilitates this. They quite rightly feel upset, because in their mind "how can anyone make such a mistake? Everyone knows it's meant to be THIS shape!" Maybe if the manufacturers said look, we know this is different to the 1:1 car, but we had to do it like that because.... Then again, the manufacturer doesn't have to justify their production methods for the sake of satisfying a few individuals. Plenty of customers will no doubt purchase a car because of a hazy childhood memory seeing it tear round a track.

A couple of examples from my own slot car stable. I've never seen an Audi R8 LMP car in the flesh. On buying the crocodile liveried SCX example for my daughter I thought surely the real car doesn't have that bloody great round bulge above the centre of the rear axle? No it doesn't, but the slot car's crownwheel has to go somewhere doesn't it? I've also got several Ford Capris including a pair of the Scaley ltd. ed. run of 1000 green and blue 3.0s Although the front grille and lights were moulded in, they weren't painted, the boot spoiler isn't quite moulded correctly. No way can you have wheels that wide fit under the standard arches, even though the 4 spoke representation was available on the real car. Oh and the rear bumpers were mounted upside down. Yet everyone knows it's a Capri...

Rest assured if a manufacturer brings out a 2.8i Capri I feel confident enough to know if it will pass muster or not. However, at the same time that manufacturer will be praised for producing a model of something I own and feel passionate about.

Mark.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.