SlotForum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
5,559 Posts
QUOTE (JEXY1 @ 6 Feb 2004, 06:50 PM)Just read this thread and felt the NSCC, me and Brian came in for a bit of a bashing.
I would like to say that I know Brian from swapmeets, the odd motor race and a few e-mails and have every confidence that he is an honest and dedicated editor for the NSCC journal.

He asked me to write a review of a slot car several years ago for which I was allowed to keep the car as payment. Brian asked for an honest view of the car from me and printed the article in the journal verbatim.

It took me about an hour of track testing, several hours to write and photograph and a day or so of re-reading and editing the article before submitting it to Brian. I think it was reasonable that I was allowed to keep the review car.

Brian told me it was his policy to offer cars to various club members so that everyone got a chance and when you look at the journal this fact is borne out with many different reviewers names appearing.

David

· Premium Member
5,559 Posts
I love all this stuff from people with vested interests, axes to grind and any other cliche I can think of.

This whole thread is about public opinion and you can not expect it to conform to any "standard" other than common decency.

Any commercial enterprise will listen to public opinion and look at their sales figures and will react accordingly - they will probably ignore ill considered rants but they will take on board any other reaction, good or bad, to their products and this will influence their future products.

This is not an emotive subject to them, they are big boys and will not take offence, they are only concerned with running their companies profitably.

David

· Premium Member
5,559 Posts
mmm - I am not so sure about it - Yes theoretically you are right - but in practice - I think 'slightly' overgeneralizing? My experience brings forward examples that look rather differently. Big boys or not - some will behave irrationally on occasion. Let us not confuse what companies 'ought' to do (or what they say that they do) with what they actually practice. There are many rather good reasons to why companies go under from time to time... and sometimes they are just lucky to survive... Also pride and arrogance is not isolated to ignorant punters like me...[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I was generalising or just being brief and to the point.

To expand, of course companies are owned and staffed by human beings and are affected by the usual range of emotions but what I am actually saying is that companies operate in line with their business plans, their policies and their market place and in the main will make sound business decisions ruled by those factors. I'm sure there is many a discussion within these companies in the planning and development stage about the choice and design of project as people promote their personal ideas and preferences, these might even be heated emotional debates, but ultimately they will need to reach a sound decision in the best interest of the company.

They are in their chosen field to make a product that they believe in, and I fully understand that they take a pride in this product and that they also aim to make a profit that supports their business for today and it's future development.

My point was that a few negative comments from their customers will not upset them personally as most companies welcome customer feedback as one of the ways of measuring their performance.

Where I fully agree with you Peter is that of course none of this applies if the company is run autocratically and on the whim of one person who may not always make sound decisions.

David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.