SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing several really good versions on the forum and following some of the build ideas from Ian H's excellent conversion i was inspired to have a go myself, so i started with a trashed old march 6 wheeler from ebay and have tried to convert it to the March 761 ford of Vittorio Brambilla from the 1976 season, low airbox version of the Nurburgring race, ive also tried having a bash at a new rear ring to get a more accurate look not brilliant but hey she'll do for me.

March f1 1976 scalextric rebuild by matra2011, on Flickr

March f1 1976 scalextric rebuild by matra2011, on Flickr

Its pretty much done just gotta get some new rear tyres as the old ones are shredded.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
QUOTE (007jag @ 29 May 2012, 22:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello,
I was thinking of trying this myself.
Could you possibly break-down how you went about the conversion??
Chassis - engine - etc?
Many thanks,
Jack

Here's a fairly comprehensive write up of how I built mine.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (007jag @ 29 May 2012, 22:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello,
I was thinking of trying this myself.
Could you possibly break-down how you went about the conversion??
Chassis - engine - etc?
Many thanks,
Jack

Hi Jack, Unfortunatly i did'nt take pictures of the build process but all i did was follow Ian H's lead and pretty much coppied his excellent build the link i see he has posted on this thred, i just did the low airbox version from the german gp race of '76, As to be honest i was'nt overly happy with the airbox i made that was my only different mod from is build.

hope that helps, Luke

·
Registered
49 Posts
SPOOK79 & Ian H,
Want to thank you both for the info & link of the build.
All I have is the body and engine of the 6 wheeler, so perhaps a scratch built chassis is the way I'll go.
I have to admit the chassis mods that Ian H did to the motor mount left me a bit puzzled and I probably don't have the skill the reproduce that anyway - lol.

All the best,
Jack

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
The purpose of cutting the chassis is to lengthen the wheel base and bring the rear wheel centres up from the traack a little bit.

Remember the original 6 wheeler was set up with small scaley wheels and tyres.

As soon as you put standard F1 type wheels and tyres on the back the rear end will go up in the air and be too short on the wheelbase.

Hence the cutting and shutting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts