Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
So, my obsession for the '70's continues….. I'm still loving those BIG tyres, the experimentation and all those early sponsor graphics. I know its not a popular period with all you died in the wool pre-sponsorship, so called 'romantic' day, guys but for me it is the best period.

Some time last year I started buying up whatever bodies from this period I could find and of course one of the main sources is Charlie Fitzpatrick. I have all his bodies from this period (he stopped with F1 in '73 sadly) and so thought I'd better make a start at building some.

Late last year of course Penelope Pitlane released their Lotus 72, doubling up on one of Charlie's shells and so I also bought one (some actually) of those so I could do a range of models.

After the 6 wheeler I needed a break from 'serious' building so thought it'd be fun to do some fairly 'normal' builds based on Penelope Pitlane chassis and so I decided (originally as you will see) to build up 4 models; Lotus 72 Charlie (CF), March 701, Tyrrell 003 and Lotus 72 (PP).

This would give me two 1970 cars and two 1971 cars to fill in the first two years of my grid. The idea was to use the CF Lotus as the 1970 car and the PP as the 1971 car.

Now a couple of things about CF shells that many will know and others wont; they are fiberglass, they don't come with front or rear wings, they are cheap (less than £6) and they aren't THAT close to scale by modern standards having been made when there was scant information to go on and no FF motors to put in them!!

Moreover I am aware that since they were produced some 40 years ago now many people would have had a go before. Two examples on SF I know of are Dave Lawson's WONDERFUL Lotus 72 and Dave Wisdom's BEAUTIFUL Tyrrell 002. My builds don't then seek to emulate these but perhaps show some of the newer members what can be done with these old shells….

History:

March 701
This was March's first F1 car. It was apparently 'quick straight out of the box' but 'didn't have any development potential'. It won 3 of its first 4 races but went rapidly downhill from there, Ken Tyrrell who started the year buying two soon opted to famously build his own car which was ready before the end of the year.

My model is going to be the team car of Chris Amon in red with STP logos.

Lotus 72 (CF)
After many years of service by 1969 the 49 was looking tired and so Chapman had the 72 produced and it started running in races in 1970. It took some time to get it working because in its original form it had anti squat and anti dive suspension which just didn't work. By the time these were taken out Jochen Rindt managed to win 5 races taking him well clear at the head of the leader board before his fatal crash at Monza. Of course he retained the title and won posthumously.

It is clear that this was a revolutionary car and even today a modern F1 owes something to this car in form. I think it is my favourite EVER car, it was just so well ahead of its time and although statistics can be read in many ways this was the most successful car in F1 history.

Since the CF shell comes without wings I decided to build the car Rindt was driving THAT day. I also believe that broken steering and guardrails aside IF he'd had the wings on that day history might have been quite different…….

Tyrrell 003
The 003 was very similar to 002 and indeed to 001 but with numerous developments, most minor. It became the Jackie car while 002 remained Cevert's. This was a car very simple and nimble in Stewart's hands and in it he won the 1971 title, although I have to believe that if Rindt didn't die maybe it wouldn't have won anything…..

My car will be mid season with the bluff nose as Charlie made the shell.
So for now just the photos of the original shells lined up as they came:

IMG_1927.JPG

The Builds:
As soon as I started building I realized that converting 3 CF shells was so different from working on a modern PP resin kit that I really couldn't mix them so I abandoned the other Lotus 72 to another day….

March: This body is CLEARLY oversize so this is not going to be a very scale build I'm afraid. The thing to do would be to cut it in half lengthwise and therefore thin it down but that is a LOT of work - beyond the scope of this build. Plus the front wing spigots are quite a lot too low making them useless and a red herring for many a builder I'm sure.

Given the body looks too wide the side pods which may be to scale look too narrow. To counter this without major surgery I opted to widen the side pods which, with their wing profile are the joy of this particular model anyway. This seems to help the overall proportion a bit.

In addition I fabricated a single front wing which by making a hole through the front top body allowed me to make a strong front wing that should withstand crashes in the way that those weak front wings often don't in racing.

Lotus: This shell is actually very close to scale - it compares real well with the PP model except in two areas:
The side pods are rather too narrow, I'm guessing because the shell isbase don't he prototype which does appear to have slightly narrower and backwards curving side pods, although I'd still say they were too narrow even for that.
The cockpit sides curve a lot on plan while actually on the real car are virtually parallel and stariaght.

I decided I couldn't reasonably do much about the cockpit so I left that and concentrated on widening the sidepods.

This shot shows the early addition of plasticard to widen the pods on both cars:

IMG_1952.JPG

The cut off wing spigots on the March:

IMG_1943.JPG

And the wing in place:

IMG_1951.JPG

While this shows the Lotus beginning to take shape:

IMG_1940.JPG

And a bit more worked up

IMG_1949.JPG

Tyrrell 003: This is a pretty good rendition of the real thing. The only are that needed work was the airbox. I opted to leave the original and cut / file it to shape as well as cut out between the backrest and the airbox itself to separate the two.

Roughly cut out and repaired:

IMG_1936.JPG

All three cars also needed to have the air intake and extraction holes cut out and ducts fabricated as well as some strengthening added under the front to prevent easy accident damage:

IMG_1942.JPG

IMG_1930.JPG

So now we need to start getting those chassis built and make up some body mounting posts…….

Cheers

Andi

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Great start Andy, looking forward to more of this.

Seems like 2012 could be the year for 70's F1, especially as current F1 has disappeared from UK TV screens..........

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
They look like they are going to be great. Can I ask what filler you are using?

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi andi
Great start to a great project
however just a word of caution I think in 1973 the rules changed so that the cars had to have deformable structures on the side body work so the profiles of the cars changed between 1972 The tyrell 006 had this in the form of those black sections which have caused such debate recently of SF
THe lotus mods were a little more subltle but did alter the width to radiator duct ratio on the 73 cars
You should be ok with he classic bodies as they are pre 72 but it is possible that steve wards offering is of one of the later cars

cheers tony

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Looks like some more great builds on the way Andi. I shall keep watching with interest.

The modifications are already looking good and I am sure the finished cars will be fantastic!!

Cheers,
Philip

·
Registered
270 Posts
Great start Andi - I always enjoy following your builds and there's no doubt at all that this will be entertaining and very informative. More please!

Roger

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (superhornets @ 17 Jan 2012, 20:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi andi
Great start to a great project
however just a word of caution I think in 1973 the rules changed so that the cars had to have deformable structures on the side body work so the profiles of the cars changed between 1972 The tyrell 006 had this in the form of those black sections which have caused such debate recently of SF
THe lotus mods were a little more subltle but did alter the width to radiator duct ratio on the 73 cars
You should be ok with he classic bodies as they are pre 72 but it is possible that steve wards offering is of one of the later cars

cheers tony
Interesting point Tony. So i've widdened this but not quite as much as the PP car and now i'll have to narrow the PP one!

My extensive pictorial archive suggests that the side pods did evolve but not a huge amount.

Anyway thanks for the heads up.

Andi

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (MAF @ 17 Jan 2012, 20:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They look like they are going to be great. Can I ask what filler you are using?
Hi Marlon sorry, its Tamiya. Very fine and although it does shrink as it is quite liquid its the best i've found.

Andi

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi Andy,

Interesting project again, cars are not quite my theme, but always like to see the master doing something new.
As I sad don't know much about these types of car so I leave the accuracy of the shaping to the experts. But wouldn't it be better if you would cut open the cockpit and put a external driver in it and recreate the cockpit?

Perhaps a tip that might interest you, I read that you use the white Tamiya putty, it's suppose to be finer than the grey one. Normally they say to use the grey one for bigger gaps and rougher work.
But if you take the grey one and thin it with liquid plastic model glue, like glue from "Kibri 39996", that exists out of Ethyl Acetate and xylol (make sure you do this in a wel ventilated area), you are able to thin it from thick to super liquid.
It enables you to work as long as you want, just by adding tiny quantities of glue when it tense to dry up. I use a pipette to dose the quantity of glue.
And the advantage of using grey putty, is that you got a better feeling when sanding a model smooth, you see where to corect, or even ad more for a second time or third time.
I use a tiny glass, you also could use an old very small cappuccino cup. Clean it out with a tissue after you've used it, and you use it forever. I also use a cheap smal paint brush I gives you more control where to lay the putty onto the model. You should try it out, I think you're going to like it.

Good luck with your project.

Cheers,
Danny

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (Nuvolare @ 18 Jan 2012, 00:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>wouldn't it be better if you would cut open the cockpit and put a external driver in it and recreate the cockpit?
Yes, it would make it far more beautiful and accurate. The fact is though all projects need to have a particular target and for me this one was about relative simplicity. There is always more one could or 'should' do but if everything one does is at the limit then one can only do so much. I'm just having fun!
QUOTE (Nuvolare @ 18 Jan 2012, 00:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Perhaps a tip that might interest you, I read that you use the white Tamiya putty, it's suppose to be finer than the grey one. Normally they say to use the grey one for bigger gaps and rougher work.
But if you take the grey one and thin it with liquid plastic model glue, like glue from "Kibri 39996", that exists out of Ethyl Acetate and xylol (make sure you do this in a wel ventilated area), you are able to thin it from thick to super liquid.
It enables you to work as long as you want, just by adding tiny quantities of glue when it tense to dry up. I use a pipette to dose the quantity of glue.
And the advantage of using grey putty, is that you got a better feeling when sanding a model smooth, you see where to corect, or even ad more for a second time or third time.
I use a tiny glass, you also could use an old very small cappuccino cup. Clean it out with a tissue after you've used it, and you use it forever. I also use a cheap smal paint brush I gives you more control where to lay the putty onto the model. You should try it out, I think you're going to like it.
What I think is fascinating about this Danny is that everyone has there own 'obsessions' / skills. You are clearly a master at painting and finishing. For me that's the part that interests me less. For me tamiya white filler and some tamiya spray cans is all I need to do what I want.

For sure sometimes i'm less than 100% satisfied with the finish or colour match but, well that's me. Maybe i'll change with time but I also believe that super perfect finishes are a thing of the modern world. My Vanwall I actually wiped over with WD40 after painting it to give it a realistic feel and smell.....

Andi

·
Registered
227 Posts
Bewdy, more 70's F1 cars. I can't get enough of them.

The March 701 is probably one of my favourite cars. I must look into one of those.

·
Registered
227 Posts
QUOTE (conti_rowland @ 18 Jan 2012, 18:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
701 favourite????
Surely its one of the ugliest ever made...

Certainly was ugly, but it was the first F1 I saw in the flesh and at the time I thought it was the most wonderful thing on Earth. I suppose I never quite forgot that first impression. Also, I'm not that pretty myself, so theres kind of a connection.
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
So work is moving on.....

I made up some pretty basic and ugly screw fixing points:

IMG_1948.JPG

For my PP chassis:

IMG_1937.JPG

Now they all have different wheelbases. Actually it seems that maybe the Tyrrell and the March should be very similar with the Lotus being longer but given that the March is overscale the suggested wheelbase just wouldn't work so I've opted for a scale of three; Lotus longest, march in the centre and the Tyrrell shortest.

I built them so that the distance from front wheels to guide is constant so that each has a different overall feel. That way one or other might be better on different tracks.

I soldered in the rear bushing, adapted the rear of the chassis as necessary to get it into the bodies and cut away a lot of the bodies to clear the slot.it crown. Actually that was one of the hardest and most fragile parts of the exercise. It seems that although the bodies were made for large motors they WEREN'T made for PP chassis and slot.it running gear!!

Mounted up they look like this:

IMG_1953.JPG

Here we can see the roll bars, simply bent and glued brass bar of different thicknesses depending on the effect desired. I also made up some rear wings, using various source material mainly from my books.

(image not found)

The front axles were tubed on the Tyrrell and March and I've gone for something more 'experimental' on the Lotus as you would expect. As I use Ostorero front hubs and they have 1,5mm dia. holes I have reduced the axle and tube down by soldering in a 3mm tube (int. 2mm) to the chassis. This is allowing a very slight wobble but nothing like a scaley standard.

Taking the Tyrrell as an example I then added a little suspension arm detail front and back using brass 0.8mm dia. bar. This once painted up should just give the idea of the suspension on the models without resorting to fabricating anything exactly to scale. Most of these arms in the day were complex forms to respond to the loads being put through them and the various pick up points. I've tried to make each respond to the general geometry in terms of position vertically, horizontally and back and front:

IMG_1938.JPG

And a shot pre painting with everything mounted up:

IMG_1929.JPG

Now we're off to the paint shop.....

Wish me luck

Andrew

PS. Deslotted, thanks so much for that photo - that's answered a few questions I had and couldn't find answers to on the internet.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
Looking cool!

·
Registered
227 Posts
QUOTE (conti_rowland @ 26 Jan 2012, 01:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>PS. Deslotted, thanks so much for that photo - that's answered a few questions I had and couldn't find answers to on the internet.....

No Worries, I've got a few more pics if anyones interested.
That 701 lived about a mile from where my house for Years until sold just recently.

Back on topic now, the cars are looking great Andy and the PP chassis look a treat. May I ask What brand are the wheels and tyres? And Are the wings made from plasticard and how are you mounting them?

Thanks for posting another great build, I always enjoy them and I'm not ashamed to say that I'm more than happy to "borrow" your ideas.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
QUOTE (FZSsemans® @ 25 Jan 2012, 19:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I really like the way you show the process! and the results.........cant wait!!

For me that's the point of a scratch build forum. I get sooo tired of those shots of a complete car without any understanding of how and why! To learn from one another we need process. Otherwise you may as well post in the RTR forum....

Maybe I got up too early this morning????

QUOTE (Deslotted @ 26 Jan 2012, 05:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No Worries, I've got a few more pics if anyones interested.

May I ask What brand are the wheels and tyres? And Are the wings made from plasticard and how are you mounting them?

I'm not ashamed to say that I'm more than happy to "borrow" your ideas.
Hi Ted
Yes I am interested in the photos please post them here.
The 1970 cars (Lotus and March) will have PP scaley alu's on the rear with Ortmann scaley tyres all round.
The Tyrrell will have Ostorero rear wheel and tyres all round.
All cars will have Ostorero front wheels (the scaley tyres fit on the Ostorero fronts.)
Wings are of plasticard 'evergreen'. Shaped to profile mostly by eye from photos. They're mounted on brass bar bent and drilled through the body and wings with our old friend superglue doing the work.
For using any ideas see comment above.... Good luck!

Cheers
Andi

1 - 20 of 68 Posts