SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a scrap front end of a Scalextric March 771/2-4-0 (the six-wheeler), thinking I could use it for a James Hunt March 731, which Hesketh used before they developed their own Hesketh F1 car. When I examined it back home, I quickly realised it was nothing like a March 731, but, after a bit of internet searching, I thought it might make a credible replica of the later March 751 from 1975. I had some trouble finding out what was the correct wheelbase, though. I believe different wheelbases were used during the year, This blueprint looks long to me - maybe somebody out there knows what wheelbases March used back in the day?

Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive design Tire Font

When I compared the Scalextric parts with blueprints, I was surprised how much would need to be changed. Apart from the weird-looking driver with 2 steering wheels (!), the nose was too short (for a 751 4-wheeler), the main body was too wide, the sidepods were too wide and the cockpit surround was too short and too high. Lots of fun ahead! I got out the razor-saw and superglue, cut off the nose and outer sidepods, and then cut the body lengthwise to reduce the width. I glued it all back together with a spacer at the front to extend the nose. The Scalextric plastic responds really well to superglue, which actually seems to attack its surface and form a really good bond:

Gas Automotive exterior Machine Cylinder Auto part

Once the glue had set, I cut off the cockpit surround, cut down the height of the sides, extended it and glued it back on in the right place for the extended nose. The Scalextric printing was very resistant to removal; only endless scraping and sanding eventually got it off.

Hood Automotive lighting Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle

So; what's next? Depends on Christmas Day, but I'm hoping that the running gear from a Policar March 701 might feature in its future.......watch this space!
Mike

·
Registered
870 Posts
Hola Mike,
Estoy convencido que de ese trozo de 771, habrías sacado el 731 de Hunt. Con bastantes trabajo, eso sí, pero como decimos por aquí, ¡si ha de salir, sale!
El trozo transparente de la última imagen, ¿es metacrilato?

Hi Mike,
I'm convinced that from that piece of 771, you would have gotten Hunt's 731. With enough work, yes, but as we say around here, if he has to leave, he leaves! (if he is to appear, he appears)
The transparent piece in the last image, is it methacrylate?

Frederic

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, Frederic.

You are right - a 731 would have been possible, but if all I am using is the sidepods and they are too wide anyway, it would be easier to make everything from scratch…..

You have very good eyes, to notice that I have used a transparent piece for the nose extension! It is a piece of acrylic (‘perspex’) sheet. I use it for flat parts because it bonds very well to Scalextric plastic and is stronger than polystyren.

regards, Mike

Tienes razón, un 731 habría sido posible, pero si todo lo que estoy usando son los sidepods y son demasiado anchos de todos modos, sería más fácil hacer todo desde cero...

¡Tienes muy buenos ojos, para darte cuenta de que he usado una pieza transparente para la extensión de la nariz! Es una pieza de lámina de acrílico ("perspex"). Lo uso para piezas planas porque se adhiere muy bien al plástico Scalextric y es más fuerte que los poliestirenos.

Saludos, Mike

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've heard of writer's block which novellists suffer from when their ideas dry up, but is there such a thing as scratch modeller's block?
I made some good progress with my March 751 conversion before the holidays and then got a lot of help with dimensions from another thread on this site. In a nutshell, I had started my 751 with a too-long wheelbase and I just couldn't get it to look 'right' to me. I'd started at about 86 mm wheelbase, reduced it to 84 mm, but finally concluded I would make it 82 mm! In the course of this, I realised that I had extended the nose too much on the Scalextric shell, so I had to shorten it again, which I managed to do without the usual problem of weakening the joint.
As I had hoped, Santa brought me a Policar white kit of a March 701, which, I thought, would be easily converted to a 751 chassis. True, up to a point, but my big problem was that the wheelbase was 4-6mm shorter on the 701.
Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle

I laid the 751 shell-in-progress next to the white kit parts, taped the chassis together at the 82 mm wheelbase and that's when the block set in. I just couldn't decide what to do next! Nothing seemed to line up right or fit well onto the Scalextric 751 shell.
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Toy Aircraft

I spent the next two weeks in indecison, doing displacement activities like re-drawing the blueprint, digging out from storage slotcars I hadn't seen for years and modifying my home track. Finally, I decided that I could at least assemble the engine and rear suspension from the March 701 as it looked pretty similar to the 751.
The Policar kit parts are little works of art, more like a Swiss watch than a typical slotcar, but I managed to assemble the parts and, to my relief, found that they fitted well on the modified Scalextric shell. As a bonus, the Scalextric front mounting point under the nose lined up well with the Policar chassis front mounting hole.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

I wanted to use Pendle's F1 rear wheels instead of the standard Policar parts, which look a bit narrow to me, so I had to take some liberties with the 701 rear suspension to narrow the track width to fit. I trial-fitted the front suspension from the 701 kit, and that seems to fit really well, to my relief.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Toy Motor vehicle

Rather belatedly, I found Andi Rowland's thread on adapting the Policar pod to a Fly March 761, so I think I can see now how to modify my chassis, although I'll be attempting home-made parts rather than 3D printing - this project has already cost enough!
I've progressed more this afternoon that in the last 2 weeks. There's still a lot to do, but, hopefully, no more 'blocks'.

Mike

·
Registered
870 Posts
I've heard of writer's block which novellists suffer from when their ideas dry up, but is there such a thing as scratch modeller's block?
Pues sí, sí que existe y aparece a menudo. Tengo algunos coches parados hace años por ese "bloqueo" y en la actualidad, me esta pasando con el 711.
Lo llevas muy bien Mike, seguro que el resultado final será excelente. Animo que ya lo tienes muy avanzado.

Well yes, it does exist and it appears often. I have had some cars stopped for years because of that "blockage" and currently, it is happening to me with the 711.
You handle it very well Mike, I'm sure the end result will be excellent. I encourage you that you already have it very advanced.

Frederic

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some more good progress today. I added the radiators to the body:
Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper Tool Auto part

I fixed the body side-mounts and the extension to lengthen the wheelbase to the Policar narrow chassis with superglue. This turned out well - better than I expected, in fact, and both the body and the engine/suspension are held securely. Still needs a bit of cleaning up.
Interestingly, the instructions for mechanical assembly which came with the white kit are for a Lotus 72 - quite a lot similar, but a few head-scratching moments figuring out the equivalent March bits. Luckily, I've built a Ferrari 312B2 before so I could draw on that for how to assemble the narrow chassis to the body.
Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

Of course, I couldn't resist a test run. This time, I didn't repeat my previous mistake of taking the mechanics of the gearbox apart first and then spending an hour reassembling it..........I did apply some oil, though. I think I still have some minor interferences with the suspension details at both ends, but the first run was very promising - smooth and looking like it will be fast once it's run in. I'm not sure if I really need the two brass screws holding the motor pod to the engine detail, but I put them in anyway, along with the little screw holding the tail of the gearbox details.
Next problem is how to attach the wing (yes - I know it's backwards in the picture!)
Motor vehicle Automotive design Machine Automotive exterior Machine gun

Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

·
Registered
870 Posts
... / ... As I had hoped, Santa brought me a Policar white kit of a March 701 .../... Finally, I decided that I could at least assemble the engine and rear suspension from the March 701...
The Policar kit parts are little works of art, more like a Swiss watch than a typical slotcar, but I managed to assemble the parts...
Interestingly, the instructions for mechanical assembly which came with the white kit are for a Lotus 72 - quite a lot similar...
Hola Mike,
Hace muchos años que no compro un coche nuevo y muchos más que nadie me los regala, pues como dice mi hijo, si el coche del regalo es el que necesito para un proyecto, lo voy a cortar por la mitad. Pero hoy ha sido diferente. "Este coche no necesitarás romperlo"
Hoy me han regalado un kit del Lotus 72 de Policar (blanco) y ya me he descargado los tres PDF con las instrucciones. Hablas de piezas de relojería suiza y he de darte la razón.
He buscado por el foro y no he encontrado ningún tema sobre el montaje de este Lotus, esperando encontrar las precauciones, los consejos, los tropiezos que encontraré, etc. Pero antes de hacer nada, quisiera saber que pegamento has utilizado para montar estos kits, pues no se que tipo de plástico es.
Gracias.

Hi Mike,

I have not bought a new car for many years and many more than anyone else has given me a gift, because as my son says, if the car in the gift is the one I need for a project, I am going to cut it in half. But today has been different. "This car you will not need to break it"
Today they gave me a kit of the Policar Lotus 72 (white) and I have already downloaded the three PDFs with the instructions. You talk about Swiss watch parts and I have to agree with you.

I have searched the forum and I have not found any topic on the assembly of this Lotus, hoping to find the precautions, the tips, the stumbles that I will find, etc. But before doing anything, I would like to know what glue you have used to assemble these kits, because I don't know what type of plastic it is.

Thank you.
Salut
Frederic

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello Frederic.
It is good to hear from you. I am sure you will enjoy the Policar F1. There are some threads on this forum if you search 'Policar Lotus 72'. This one gave me a lot of ideas: Policar Lotus 72 Owners Club | SlotForum
I'm guessing the Policar cars are made from ABS plastic. Polystyrene glue does not stick to them, so I had to use 'superglue' (cyanacrilate), which I hate because it is so hard to manage, sticking to everything and especially my fingers! Other forum members may have better ideas. I believe Andi Rowland (conti-rowland on this forum) invented these cars originally, so he may be a better source of information than me.
Regards, Mike

Hola Frederic.

Es bueno saber de ti. Estoy seguro de que disfrutará del Policar F1. Hay algunos temas en este foro si buscas 'Policar Lotus 72'. Este me dio muchas ideas: Policar Lotus 72 Owners Club | SlotForum

Supongo que los autos Policar están hechos de plástico ABS. El pegamento de poliestireno no se pega, así que tuve que usar 'superglue' (cianacrilato), que detesto porque es muy difícil de manejar, se pega a todo y ¡especialmente a mis dedos! Otros miembros del foro pueden tener mejores ideas. Creo que Andi Rowland (conti-rowland en este foro) inventó estos autos originalmente, por lo que puede ser una mejor fuente de información que yo.

Saludos, Mike

·
Registered
870 Posts
Gracias Mike por tu respuesta.
No encuentro que tipo de plástico utiliza Policar. Tengo un MAN 8x8 de Revell pendiente de montar y en las instrucciones pone que se utilice un pegamento de poliestireno, así que compré el Ceys especial plásticos: PVC, poliéster, metacrilato, poliestireno rígido, plexiglás, ABS y SAN.
Si dices que el pegamento de poliestireno no pega, utilizaré cianocrilato, a la espera de si algún compañero puede darnos más información.

Thanks Mike for your reply.
I can't find what kind of plastic Policar uses. I have a MAN 8x8 from Revell pending to be assembled and in the instructions it says that a polystyrene glue be used, so I bought the Ceys special plastics: PVC, polyester, methacrylate, rigid polystyrene, Plexiglas, ABS and SAN.
If you say that the polystyrene glue does not stick, I will use cyanoacrylate, waiting for a colleague to give us more information.

Salut
Frederic

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Los Policar Clásicos F1 son uno de los kits que honestamente me dan miedo armar, muy frágiles y demasiadas piezas pequeñas, los colecciono pero en versión RTR ya decorados, pienso que te vas a divertir mucho con ese kit aunque no he visto muchas calcas para ese modelo(lotus), solamente algunas para el Ferrari 312. En la Pista son muy rápidos, quizás (al menos esa es mi impresión) más que los Monopostos modernos de la misma marca, excelentes para ejercitar el manejo fino de un carro de slot.

The Classic Policar F1 range are some of the kits that I’m afraid to build, very fragile and too many small pieces, I collect them but as RTR versions, I think you are going to have fun with that kit although I haven’t seen many decals available for that model (lotus), only some for the Ferrari 312. On the track they are very fast(at least that’s the impression I get) even a bit faster than the Monopostos of the same brand, excelent cars to exercise fine driving skills of a slot car.

Cheers

·
Registered
870 Posts
I am sure you will enjoy the Policar F1. There are some threads on this forum if you search 'Policar Lotus 72'. This one gave me a lot of ideas: Policar Lotus 72 Owners Club | SlotForum
Ya he leído las 10 hojas de ese tema. Gracias. Pero trata de preparaciones sobre el coche comprado y nada del kit. Pero aun así, me ha sido útil.
I have already read the 10 sheets of that topic. Thank you. But it deals with preparations on the purchased car and nothing on the kit. But still, it has been useful to me.

I think you are going to have fun with that kit although I haven’t seen many decals available for that model (lotus).
El tema de no encontrar calcas nunca me ha preocupado, pues en todos mis fórmula-1 e Indy me las he hecho yo. La razón es que nadie hace las decoraciones que necesito. Las de este, para Alex Soler Roig 1970 ya las tengo vectorizadas.
The issue of not finding decals has never worried me, since I have done them in all my Formula-1 and Indy. The reason is that no one makes the decorations that I need. Those of this one, for Alex Soler Roig 1970 I already have them vectorized.

Salut
Frederic

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In April 1975, Lella Lombardi finished 6th in an accident-shortened Spanish Grand Prix in her March 751, becoming the first, and so far only, woman to score in a World Championship GP.
After a long delay caused by my indecision, I've finally finished my March 751 conversion from a Scalextric March 771 6-wheeler. I like the simple Lavazza livery on the Lombardi car (although the orange Beta Tools and red/white/blue Penske liveries both appealed too), so I've finished the car as a tribute to her.
After a bit of running-in, it is beautifully smooth and fast, with excellent handling, probably more thanks to the Policar chassis than to my skill! Over a mile it is just a hair slower than my scratchbuilt BRM P201 and a hair faster than my two BRM P160s and its stablemate Policar Ferrari 312B2. The Ferrari would probably be faster if it had better rear tyres, but I haven't yet got around to paying out for softer G25 tyres or aluminium wheels.
Here are some photos. I hope you like them!
Mike

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car Motor vehicle

Bumper Trigger Automotive exterior Gun barrel Cameras & optics

·
Registered
870 Posts
Pues esperas bien, porque a mi sí que me gusta. Y en Montjuic, aún más.
De que es una decoración "sencilla"... es la que llevaba. Nos guste o no, no se debería añadir o quitar nada.
Esta bien ver detalles que pasan desapercibidos, como el refrigerador de frenos y las dos varillas de refuerzo del alerón anterior.
Pero ¿porqué esa varilla diagonal en los radiadores laterales?

Well, you wait well, because I do like it. And in Montjuic, even more.
That it's a "simple" decoration... it's the one I was wearing. Whether we like it or not, nothing should be added or taken away.
It's nice to see details that go unnoticed, like the brake cooler and the two reinforcement rods from the previous wing.
But why that diagonal rod on the side radiators?

Salut
Frederic

·
Premium Member
2,254 Posts
An excellent model and so much work.Thanks for showing us.

Lella Lombardi would have performed a lot better if her complaints about the evil handling of the car had been believed and thoroughly investigated. After her career with the team finished, they discovered it had a badly cracked chassis. Who knows what could have been?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts