SlotForum banner
381 - 400 of 429 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #382 ·
Track lenght isn’t that important since you will make thousands laps. It’s more that each of these thousands laps stays interesting.
I agree in concept however in reality (in my case) we simply have to agree to disagree... at least to some extent. I'll take any 100 foot track over any 10 foot track site unseen. :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #383 ·
You don't seem to need digital for anything, nor do you seem to want it. It just happens to have been what the set you got was. oXigen would be pointless.
Might as well go pure analog.
You are right. If I go four lanes... pure analog. If I stay two I'll stay digital/semi analog (for now).

·
Registered
123 Posts
I built a 16m track with 8 turns that is super challenging and a lot of fun, way more then the big 36m track. The big one is great for races with 6 people.
If I am alone driving my cars you would find me at the small track.
Fastest track record is 5.2s.
I tested and changed the Layout for 1 year after all the experience i made before.
Each turn is different, almost each straight has a different length.
Rectangle Art Font Line Pattern

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #386 · (Edited)
As I do understand your point about lenght you understand mine?
Completely understand and agree.

Looks like I might be able tweak Chris' four lane by removing all of the 1/4 and 1/3 straights. Neither line up perfectly but both close enough I'm guessing.

Product Organism Font Rectangle Line

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #389 ·
I guess the lap time matters more then the length itself.
I am a bit afraid that the 4 lane track can be driven within 3-4s
Yes - that is my main concern. Way back I showed where I should/could add to my tables if I want to go four lanes. :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #393 ·
Going Scalextric an option to you? Their R1’s are more a stop-and-go.
Just asking…. 😎
Track wise I'm too far down the rabbit hole with Carrera. Currently including shoulders one hundred and fifty six pieces...

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #394 · (Edited)

·
Greg Gaub
16,856 Posts
Sigh...

For the love of god, do not get a Carrera analog power track and saddle yourself with controllers that only work with it. Even if you never race in a club, or invite someone else to come and race, you'll be limiting your options for what is available to you in the future. Stop messing around with this toy stuff and get real. You will not be sorry.

Get a proper positive polarity (common ground) controller and a decent power supply. The rest is just wire and three brass bolts, or a simple 3 pole connector such as an XLR connector. Slot Car Corner sells turnkey controller stations and great instructions for installing them, if you want some hand holding. You probably won't even need to solder anything.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I can’t recommend enough trying different layouts and learning from it each time. Try not to get hung up on borders until you have tried a few layouts and are sure you want to stick with it. Then for me personally I’ll be cutting foam rubber down to fit the flat sections and using a combination of whatever bordersI can get hold of for the raised sections. Bear in mind this was still my plan 2 years ago🤣

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #399 ·
For the love of god, do not get a Carrera analog power track and saddle yourself with controllers that only work with it.
Don't have a heart attack... I won't. :)

Get a proper positive polarity (common ground) controller and a decent power supply.
Decided if I try four lanes I'll run one via TEK-Slots. And then after a bit decide with I want to live with four lanes and (only) analog... if so at that point I'll get the power supplies/controllers/whatnots.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #400 ·
I can’t recommend enough trying different layouts and learning from it each time.
Completely agree. I'm heading into my third. And in the beginning I got a lot of help from guys like Greg so I think in theory it's more like my fifth or sixth. Only thing I haven't really experienced is a long combination of different curved sections. Which is what I threw into my proposed two lane "upgrade".

381 - 400 of 429 Posts